Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
Howdy, ya'll. I've been watching the Ken Burns series on Country Music. It's very good. It's into the 70s now and I wondered if they were going to touch on the popularity of country rock. The Byrds (including Gram Parsons), Nitty Gritty Dirt Band and Dylan's Nashville phrase got quite a bit of air time. No Eagles so far.
I have been enjoying it as well, NMB. The Eagles' influence on country music should not be overlooked. Just think of all the artists on the "Common Threads" album, for one. But many more---artists as diverse as traditionalist Mark Chestnut and the contemporary Keith Urban publicly mourned Glenn's passing, and named them as inspiration. The band Alabama loved them and brought the concept of a band to country music (before them, there were only vocal groups with bands backing them). Their members played Glenn and Eagles song in solo sets. They also went onstage in T shirts and tennis shoes like their heroes, unlike any others at the time. Restless Heart even got their name from the line in "New Kid in Town", for goodness sake! Just on this board, you see what diverse people love the Eagles. Country folks love their harmony and expert lyricism especially, and were inspired to a rockier guitar. Yay, Song Power!