Page 54 of 69 FirstFirst ... 44450515253545556575864 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite TV Shows

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

Default Re: Favorite TV Shows

I'm really loving "Victoria" too!!! It's got a very different tone from "The Crown" but it's oddly still a bit similar, but more mixed with "Downton Abbey" as it focuses on Queen Victoria's servants too at Buckingham Palace. Also oddly it's got some of the same actors as "The Crown" playing similar characters (especially the actor who plays Victoria's uncle King Leopold is the same who plays Queen Elizabeth II's uncle former King Edward VIII). I know it's not all the way historically accurate too but I really like they added a love triangle of Victoria, Albert, and Lord Melbourne.

Also besides loving "The Crown" I also recently watched the 2nd season of "The Hollow Crown", PBS/BBC's adaptation of the Shakespeare history plays, and Benedict Cumberbatch did amazing playing King Richard III!!! Plus, Ben found out recently he actually is related to Richard and all of the Plantagenets/Tudors so that was awesome finding that out as a fan of Ben's.

The British royalty has always been fascinating to me especially the "Wars of the Roses" of Lancaster vs York, The Tudors, Queen Elizabeth I, Mary Queen of Scots, Queen Victoria, and now Queen Elizabeth II and the current royal family, so I'm loving all these shows, movies, and books.
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by buffyfan145 View Post
    I'm really loving "Victoria" too!!! It's got a very different tone from "The Crown" but it's oddly still a bit similar, but more mixed with "Downton Abbey" as it focuses on Queen Victoria's servants too at Buckingham Palace. Also oddly it's got some of the same actors as "The Crown" playing similar characters (especially the actor who plays Victoria's uncle King Leopold is the same who plays Queen Elizabeth II's uncle former King Edward VIII). I know it's not all the way historically accurate too but I really like they added a love triangle of Victoria, Albert, and Lord Melbourne.

Also besides loving "The Crown" I also recently watched the 2nd season of "The Hollow Crown", PBS/BBC's adaptation of the Shakespeare history plays, and Benedict Cumberbatch did amazing playing King Richard III!!! Plus, Ben found out recently he actually is related to Richard and all of the Plantagenets/Tudors so that was awesome finding that out as a fan of Ben's.

The British royalty has always been fascinating to me especially the "Wars of the Roses" of Lancaster vs York, The Tudors, Queen Elizabeth I, Mary Queen of Scots, Queen Victoria, and now Queen Elizabeth II and the current royal family, so I'm loving all these shows, movies, and books.
    WHAT?????

When Victoria married Albert Lord M was consigned to history. He was a father figure to her, nothing else. Her relationships with men were very intense, true, but to call that a triangle when she gave herself body & soul to Albert is just ridiculous.

I'm glad to hear you are interested in this subject as I am reasonably knowledgeable on it.

Regarding the Victoria series:

FP, so far, I somehow feel that there is really just a kind of "Father Figure" thing with Lord M, but the writers imply very strongly that Victoria is infatuated with him and interested in more. Lord M, however, has so far kept the whole thing in check, for his own reason, that being his continuing grief over the loss of his wife and son. So, we'll see.
    You know how these writers can take license with history. Who knows what they might come up with before it's over. Lol...no offense to our buffy, the very talented writer!
    Last edited by LuvTim; 01-24-2017 at 08:59 PM.

It's all in your smile that brings
    All of the special things about you

FP, the writers are making it a love triangle and the show actually already aired in the UK so I do know some spoilers but don't want to spoil LT too much. I know in real life it wasn't that way but Daisy Goodwin, the headwriter of the show and who has also written a novel about it, does portray Victoria and Lord M as having romantic feelings for each other but they aren't acting on it. Victoria confessed to him in this past episode that she was in love with him but he told her he can't, but then later at the ball they had for her uncle King Leopold Melbourne subtly confessed to her he does deeply care for her and comparing their relationship to Queen Elizabeth I and Robert Dudley (who they were also dressed up as), which many theorized were having an affair too, and that no matter what they want it can't happen.

The trailers also showed Albert getting extremely jealous of Lord M and how Victoria trusts him more than her soon to be husband. I'm going to read Daisy's novel after the first season ends on PBS but I've heard the book has more than what the show has, but Daisy did write in this triangle kind of similar to how Phillipa Gregory has done with some of her Plantagenet/Tudor novels, movies, and mini-series and the CW TV series "Reign".

Again I'm more of a shipper (fan of various romantic relationships) and love romantic twists like this if it's pulled off well but I'm clearly noticing what Daisy did with the writing and Jenna Coleman & Rufus Sewell's acting. Plus, there's rumors Rufus might be in season 2 as Lord M, when he wasn't that much involved after the time period season 1 covers. So they really aren't paying that much attention to historical accuracy.
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

Oh, ok, bf, I concede the point! No fair, knowing the spoilers!! LOL...

It's all in your smile that brings
    All of the special things about you

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by buffyfan145 View Post
    FP, the writers are making it a love triangle and the show actually already aired in the UK so I do know some spoilers but don't want to spoil LT too much. I know in real life it wasn't that way but Daisy Goodwin, the headwriter of the show and who has also written a novel about it, does portray Victoria and Lord M as having romantic feelings for each other but they aren't acting on it. Victoria confessed to him in this past episode that she was in love with him but he told her he can't, but then later at the ball they had for her uncle King Leopold Melbourne subtly confessed to her he does deeply care for her and comparing their relationship to Queen Elizabeth I and Robert Dudley (who they were also dressed up as), which many theorized were having an affair too, and that no matter what they want it can't happen.

The trailers also showed Albert getting extremely jealous of Lord M and how Victoria trusts him more than her soon to be husband. I'm going to read Daisy's novel after the first season ends on PBS but I've heard the book has more than what the show has, but Daisy did write in this triangle kind of similar to how Phillipa Gregory has done with some of her Plantagenet/Tudor novels, movies, and mini-series and the CW TV series "Reign".

Again I'm more of a shipper (fan of various romantic relationships) and love romantic twists like this if it's pulled off well but I'm clearly noticing what Daisy did with the writing and Jenna Coleman & Rufus Sewell's acting. Plus, there's rumors Rufus might be in season 2 as Lord M, when he wasn't that much involved after the time period season 1 covers. So they really aren't paying that much attention to historical accuracy.

Thank you for expanding on this. It's true that at the height of their relationship Victoria was jeered at & called 'Mrs Melbourne'.

Melbourne ceased to be Prime Minister in 1841 and died in 1848, so it's hard to see how the character can have much more to do in the second series. I will pass over how much younger the actor is than the man actually was.

This expands a bit more on the relationship:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/tv/2016/0...-lord-melbour/

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2016-...losest-advisor

There is a huge difference between the Victoria/Melbourne relationship & the Elizabeth/Dudley one. Dudley was pretty much the only man Elizabeth ever loved, while Victoria famously married Albert & mourned him for 40 years after his death at 42. There would be possibly more historical validity in the TV series reading more into her relationship with her Scottish servant John Brown.

I am not a fan of Philippa Gregory. I will leave it at that. As long as you're enjoying it fine, but I insist on some degree of accuracy before I watch these types of shows, which is why I wouldn't watch The Tudors & still less Reign (I did watch Wolf Hall).

Thanks for expanding on that FP. It is fascinating for me finding out the real stories too compared to watching it more fictionalized on TV or in books. I don't have a problem with historical fiction usually, but sometimes it's a bit far fetched. This case though I can totally see how Victoria could've fallen for Melbourne (especially since it's Rufus and he's younger LOL) and there is chemistry between the actors. From what I did read too "Victoria" will also start focusing on Albert now that he's finally arrived and showing that they did end up falling in love (another twist as I read she loved Albert since she was a teen in real life) and Melbourne's take on their relationship. I'm also looking forward to seeing how that plays out since the actor playing Albert is Jenna Coleman's real life boyfriend (and has been for years) so they'll probably be able to pull off them falling in love.

LOL LT!!! I hate that PBS does this with most shows and it was so hard when "Downton Abbey" aired months before we got it here in the US. Thankfully they stopped that with "Sherlock" but I wish they did that with the others UK shows.
    ~*Amanda*~

Having done some more research myself now about "Victoria" seems like Daisy wasn't making Victoria & Melbourne's relationship as fictional as I first thought. Daisy wrote some articles when her book was published and before the show started airing in the UK last summer about why she chose to write Victoria & Melbourne's relationship as romantic and it goes back about 15-20 years ago when Daisy was in college in the UK and took a class on Victoria. She read Victoria's diaries, which are available to read online for free as they're in the public domain, and even though they're censored Victoria gushed about her Lord M exactly like any teenager would do with their first love. It's obvious from her writings how much she had a crush on him and was falling in love with him.

And from Daisy's articles & interviews she explained too that doing research on Melbourne that she thinks he felt the same way but again knew he could never act on it. The fact he died 8 years after Victoria married Albert seems telling. She thinks that combined with losing his first wife, his son's death, losing his role as Prime Minister, and losing Victoria (as they really didn't have any contact after she married besides letters) is what caused him to have a stroke and end up just getting sicker and sicker till his death. Rufus Sewell also said in some interviews and his podcast on Monday with PBS that he at first wasn't going to do the role, as he though it was too romanticized, till he looked at the research and it convinced him.

Daisy also revealed that Victoria's daughter (I'm assuming her oldest Princess Vicky as she wasn't named) caught her mother burning all the letters Victoria & Melbourne sent to each other after he died. That seemed telling to me too and now I get why he's rumored to be a part of season 2 still as I think they'll show his death and how it effected Victoria still.

I also do like Albert on the show and know the show is switching now to focus more on Victoria's relationship with him too and she did fall in love deeply with Albert. Was sad seeing Melbourne's reaction to seeing this happen and him being almost outcasted but it has to come to and end. I'm going to be a mess next week with Melbourne's last episode next week, but at the same time happy for Victoria finding a good and loving husband too.

So pretty much Daisy wanted to tell this story and I think she did a great job showing it. It does seem really believable, especially when you compare it to how the Royal Family has stopped other marriages from happening, especially what we've seen recently on "The Crown" as Princess Margaret was forbidden to marry Peter Townsend. Apparently Julian Fellows (the creator of "Downton Abbey") also touched a bit on this in his "The Young Victoria" movie so I'll be watching that soon too. But I'm loving this series and this whole story and especially Jenna and Rufus' acting.
    ~*Amanda*~

Stuck on the Border

I think this Daisy woman has put far too much 21st century interpretation into it. I see no analogy with the Margaret/Townsend situation at all. Victoria was never going to marry her own Prime Minister. The writer has obviously decided that facts aren't enough & it has to be spiced up for dramatic interest.

We will never know the full truth but I guess it annoys me that people will watch this show & assume this interpretation must be correct. If anything I think it is highly exaggerated.

Victoria's youngest daughter Beatrice burned the letters.

Personally I don't have a problem with it as I usually take historical fiction better if it's written well and I can see how she came up with the idea to write it this way. Reminds me a lot of the movie "Roman Holiday" as well a Jane Austen novel (especially "Sense & Sensibility" but with a reversed ending for Marianne), which I also love both. Just find it funny now based solely on the show and the actors performances I and many other viewers love Melbourne much more than Albert and I'm going to be really sad to see Rufus' final season one ep this weekend.

ETA: Rufus confirmed he's coming back for season 2!!! Now it won't be as sad to watch what I thought was his final episode. LOL
    Last edited by buffyfan145; 02-03-2017 at 11:59 AM.
    ~*Amanda*~