Page 67 of 69 FirstFirst ... 175763646566676869 LastLast

Thread: Favorite TV Shows

Default Re: Favorite TV Shows

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    Howdy, ya'll. I've been watching the Ken Burns series on Country Music. It's very good. It's into the 70s now and I wondered if they were going to touch on the popularity of country rock. The Byrds (including Gram Parsons), Nitty Gritty Dirt Band and Dylan's Nashville phrase got quite a bit of air time. No Eagles so far.
    I have been enjoying it as well, NMB. The Eagles' influence on country music should not be overlooked. Just think of all the artists on the "Common Threads" album, for one. But many more---artists as diverse as traditionalist Mark Chestnut and the contemporary Keith Urban publicly mourned Glenn's passing, and named them as inspiration. The band Alabama loved them and brought the concept of a band to country music (before them, there were only vocal groups with bands backing them). Their members played Glenn and Eagles song in solo sets. They also went onstage in T shirts and tennis shoes like their heroes, unlike any others at the time. Restless Heart even got their name from the line in "New Kid in Town", for goodness sake! Just on this board, you see what diverse people love the Eagles. Country folks love their harmony and expert lyricism especially, and were inspired to a rockier guitar. Yay, Song Power!
    "Be part of something good--
    Leave something good behind."

Howdy, ya'll. I've been watching the Ken Burns series on Country Music. It's very good. It's into the 70s now and I wondered if they were going to touch on the popularity of country rock. The Byrds (including Gram Parsons), Nitty Gritty Dirt Band and Dylan's Nashville phrase got quite a bit of air time. No Eagles so far.
    Howdy to you, as well, NMB! Yes, this has been another excellent Ken Burns documentary. But you can't go wrong with Ken Burns, can you? 👍
    And what would we do without Peter Coyote's excellent voiceover talent?! 😊
    (I was waiting for an Eagles mention, too.)

It's all in your smile that brings
    All of the special things about you

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FreyFollower View Post
    The band Alabama loved them and brought the concept of a band to country music (before them, there were only vocal groups with bands backing them). Their members played Glenn and Eagles song in solo sets. They also went onstage in T shirts and tennis shoes like their heroes, unlike any others at the time. Restless Heart even got their name from the line in "New Kid in Town", for goodness sake! Just on this board, you see what diverse people love the Eagles. Country folks love their harmony and expert lyricism especially, and were inspired to a rockier guitar. Yay, Song Power!
    I hadn't thought of that! Very interesting. The series follows the evolution of country music up to the year 1996, so hopefully at least "Common Thread" will be mentioned.

Hey Luvy!! Yeah, that was something to hear Peter Coyote's solemn tones say "May the Bird of Paradise Fly Up Your Nose."

Hey Luvy!! Yeah, that was something to hear Peter Coyote's solemn tones say "May the Bird of Paradise Fly Up Your Nose."
    I know, it was.

Gosh darn it, the Eagles only got the briefest of mentions in last night's episode "Are You Sure Hank Done It This Way?"

This episode was kinda draggy for me, bordering on tedious. Not a fan of Waylon and Willie nor Hank, Jr. Not sure why the show gave very short shrift to the late great Dottie West; she was a helluva lot more interesting than Emmylou Harris, sweet as that gal is.

Gosh darn it, the Eagles only got the briefest of mentions in last night's episode "Are You Sure Hank Done It This Way?"

This episode was kinda draggy for me, bordering on tedious. Not a fan of Waylon and Willie nor Hank, Jr. Not sure why the show gave very short shrift to the late great Dottie West; she was a helluva lot more interesting than Emmylou Harris, sweet as that gal is.
    Another brief mention of our Eagles in tonight's finale, "Don't Get Above Your Raisin'." (Part of Garth Brooks ' story. ) It was nice to see the photo they used, with Bernie in the foreground, Glenn and sweet Randy. 😊

Thank goodness for Garth, right? He came through for us.

I had forgotten how many good country artists and songs there were, especially in the 90s. It was interesting to hear Vince "Sweetpea" Gill talk about his early career. Had no idea he was invited to tour with Dire Straits! Imagine if Mark Knopfler himself thinks you're a good guitarist - quite a feather in Vince's cap so to speak.

I've loved finding out these additional tidbits of info on each performer during this documentary, especially Vince, since we've loved and respected him for many years. 😊

Border Rebel

Quote Originally Posted by LuvTim View Post
    I've loved finding out these additional tidbits of info on each performer during this documentary, especially Vince, since we've loved and respected him for many years. 😊
    Me too, LuvTim! I liked the story of Vince and one of the bluegrass bands having to open for Kiss and getting booed off stage. Yikes, what an awkward combination! At least Vince got a funny story to tell out of the situation. Like most here, I was hoping for a few more Eagles sightings, but it was predominantly told from a Nashville perspective and those bands that recorded there. Overall, I thought it was a good documentary by the master, Ken Burns.

Wasn’t sure where to post this...so I guess here! With the quarantine going on, what’s everyone watching? Trying to watch Farewell via Dailymotion (thanks CainOH) but everyone wanting to watch something else I haven’t been getting a chance Regardless, we are watching Ozark (no spoilers, latest season) walking dead, wwe (my son loves it so much!!) caught up with This Is Us, and had to check out what everyone is talking about....Tiger King. I never seen anything like it I can’t believe this is real....