Page 67 of 67 FirstFirst ... 17576364656667
Results 661 to 669 of 669

Thread: Favorite TV Shows

  1. #661
    Border Rebel FreyFollower's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Northern Louisiana
    Posts
    542

    Default Re: Favorite TV Shows

    Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    Howdy, ya'll. I've been watching the Ken Burns series on Country Music. It's very good. It's into the 70s now and I wondered if they were going to touch on the popularity of country rock. The Byrds (including Gram Parsons), Nitty Gritty Dirt Band and Dylan's Nashville phrase got quite a bit of air time. No Eagles so far.
    I have been enjoying it as well, NMB. The Eagles' influence on country music should not be overlooked. Just think of all the artists on the "Common Threads" album, for one. But many more---artists as diverse as traditionalist Mark Chestnut and the contemporary Keith Urban publicly mourned Glenn's passing, and named them as inspiration. The band Alabama loved them and brought the concept of a band to country music (before them, there were only vocal groups with bands backing them). Their members played Glenn and Eagles song in solo sets. They also went onstage in T shirts and tennis shoes like their heroes, unlike any others at the time. Restless Heart even got their name from the line in "New Kid in Town", for goodness sake! Just on this board, you see what diverse people love the Eagles. Country folks love their harmony and expert lyricism especially, and were inspired to a rockier guitar. Yay, Song Power!
    "Be part of something good--
    Leave something good behind."

  2. #662
    Stuck on the Border LuvTim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    The Prairie
    Posts
    3,941

    Default Re: Favorite TV Shows

    Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    Howdy, ya'll. I've been watching the Ken Burns series on Country Music. It's very good. It's into the 70s now and I wondered if they were going to touch on the popularity of country rock. The Byrds (including Gram Parsons), Nitty Gritty Dirt Band and Dylan's Nashville phrase got quite a bit of air time. No Eagles so far.
    Howdy to you, as well, NMB! Yes, this has been another excellent Ken Burns documentary. But you can't go wrong with Ken Burns, can you? 👍
    And what would we do without Peter Coyote's excellent voiceover talent?! 😊
    (I was waiting for an Eagles mention, too.)


    It's all in your smile that brings
    All of the special things about you

  3. #663
    Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Randyland
    Posts
    3,546

    Default Re: Favorite TV Shows

    Quote Originally Posted by FreyFollower View Post
    The band Alabama loved them and brought the concept of a band to country music (before them, there were only vocal groups with bands backing them). Their members played Glenn and Eagles song in solo sets. They also went onstage in T shirts and tennis shoes like their heroes, unlike any others at the time. Restless Heart even got their name from the line in "New Kid in Town", for goodness sake! Just on this board, you see what diverse people love the Eagles. Country folks love their harmony and expert lyricism especially, and were inspired to a rockier guitar. Yay, Song Power!
    I hadn't thought of that! Very interesting. The series follows the evolution of country music up to the year 1996, so hopefully at least "Common Thread" will be mentioned.

    Hey Luvy!! Yeah, that was something to hear Peter Coyote's solemn tones say "May the Bird of Paradise Fly Up Your Nose."

  4. #664
    Stuck on the Border LuvTim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    The Prairie
    Posts
    3,941

    Default Re: Favorite TV Shows

    Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    Hey Luvy!! Yeah, that was something to hear Peter Coyote's solemn tones say "May the Bird of Paradise Fly Up Your Nose."
    I know, it was.


    It's all in your smile that brings
    All of the special things about you

  5. #665
    Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Randyland
    Posts
    3,546

    Default Re: Favorite TV Shows

    Gosh darn it, the Eagles only got the briefest of mentions in last night's episode "Are You Sure Hank Done It This Way?"

    This episode was kinda draggy for me, bordering on tedious. Not a fan of Waylon and Willie nor Hank, Jr. Not sure why the show gave very short shrift to the late great Dottie West; she was a helluva lot more interesting than Emmylou Harris, sweet as that gal is.

  6. #666
    Stuck on the Border LuvTim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    The Prairie
    Posts
    3,941

    Default Re: Favorite TV Shows

    Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    Gosh darn it, the Eagles only got the briefest of mentions in last night's episode "Are You Sure Hank Done It This Way?"

    This episode was kinda draggy for me, bordering on tedious. Not a fan of Waylon and Willie nor Hank, Jr. Not sure why the show gave very short shrift to the late great Dottie West; she was a helluva lot more interesting than Emmylou Harris, sweet as that gal is.
    Another brief mention of our Eagles in tonight's finale, "Don't Get Above Your Raisin'." (Part of Garth Brooks ' story. ) It was nice to see the photo they used, with Bernie in the foreground, Glenn and sweet Randy. 😊


    It's all in your smile that brings
    All of the special things about you

  7. #667
    Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Randyland
    Posts
    3,546

    Default Re: Favorite TV Shows

    Thank goodness for Garth, right? He came through for us.

    I had forgotten how many good country artists and songs there were, especially in the 90s. It was interesting to hear Vince "Sweetpea" Gill talk about his early career. Had no idea he was invited to tour with Dire Straits! Imagine if Mark Knopfler himself thinks you're a good guitarist - quite a feather in Vince's cap so to speak.

  8. #668
    Stuck on the Border LuvTim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    The Prairie
    Posts
    3,941

    Default Re: Favorite TV Shows

    I've loved finding out these additional tidbits of info on each performer during this documentary, especially Vince, since we've loved and respected him for many years. 😊


    It's all in your smile that brings
    All of the special things about you

  9. #669
    Border Desperado
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    478

    Default Re: Favorite TV Shows

    Quote Originally Posted by LuvTim View Post
    I've loved finding out these additional tidbits of info on each performer during this documentary, especially Vince, since we've loved and respected him for many years. 😊
    Me too, LuvTim! I liked the story of Vince and one of the bluegrass bands having to open for Kiss and getting booed off stage. Yikes, what an awkward combination! At least Vince got a funny story to tell out of the situation. Like most here, I was hoping for a few more Eagles sightings, but it was predominantly told from a Nashville perspective and those bands that recorded there. Overall, I thought it was a good documentary by the master, Ken Burns.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •