Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Eagles 02 Dublin 4 June 2014

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    ... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Default Re: The Eagles 02 Dublin 4 June 2014

Well firstly DD thank you for starting this thread and I hope things go well on your personal front over the summer. I am so glad you got to see your idol in person too. I didn't find the heat a problem (except for the heat emanating off the stage of course)

Now where to start........

We arrived at the O2 with about an hour to go before the doors opened and joined the queue. Then the girls (02 angels!) asked if anyone in our group was on the 02 network. Of all people, my 10 year old is! So they immediately brought us to the front of the queue! Bonus #1! We were one of the first into the arena. We met a German girl who is going all three nights. I was tempted to ask was her name Koala or EF!
    Once in I looked for the VIP nation desk to get our laminates... Nobody knew where it was! Eventually found it to be told to come back later for the 'exclusive Eagles gift'. :eyeroll:. Ireland does not do VIP very well!

Anyway back to the family and I had won two passes to the O2 premium lounge, so myself and a work friend used them and had a very pleasant hour or so there. Great music and food, I think some of you saw our pic on my FB account.

Back about 15 mins before the show we found out seats. Now this was a GOOD surprise. I had thought we were in row 5 of the seated. We were, but row 5 was front row with only the standing people ahead of us. And there seemed no barrier between seated and standing. So I planned to stand on. Friday nights show regardless of my seated ticket.

We were however warned at the various entrances and at a public announcement before the show not to use cameras, video equipment phones etc, a directive that was rigidly enforced for the entire show sadly. My son wanted a pic of the stage before the show and even he was told to put the phone away.

The excitement was palpable as the lights went down and the guys came out. Ireland has been Eagle starved for the last 5 years, so this was a feast!
    Of course I was just delighted to see Glenn again looking as good as always.
    There's no point in regurgitating the set list because there were no changes from the standard list that we are used to, but I will point out a few moments from the first section of the show that I remember as being particularly special

Glenn shortly after the start of the show when he was welcoming everyone he commented that it was great to be playing indoors as he didn't have to keep watching the weather, or the sun (looking up cutely to the ceiling). I thought at that point he sounded ever so slightly hoarse but I'd he was it certainly didn't show in the rest of his singing or commentary. Possibly he just needed a drink!

I loved Already Gone - I was too busy taking pics in NYC to appreciate the background video in full, but oh My My! It is amazing!

Then when he introduced LE with his usual preamble about being in the Troubadour and seeing the girls with the guys who inspired the next song, that it was written fast because they did a lot of things fast in the seventies. Then he said 'this goes out to my first wife' paused and a few of us called out 'Plaintiff'. Then he laughed and said 'ah, you know her, and held the mic to the crowd so more of us hollered PLAINTIFF'. Then he laughed and introduced the song.

As usual before TITTL he said they would take a break 'men our age cant sing 31 songs without needing to use the bathroom', getting a laugh (and agreement) from everyone!! He then dedicated TITTL to Randy as he does.

Overall the first part was amazing as always, perfect singing, tight harmonies, amazing music. Everyone sang along to it really taking the roof off the place.

They took a break, and then totally unaware, I was in for quite a surprise......
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Stuck on the Border tequila girl's Avatar

Brilliant review so far GA.........but you can't stop now - I'm on the edge of my seat!
    ~Carole~

There is no more new frontier - we have got to make it here

Housework calls! And my teenager! Back later xxx
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Perfect suspense, GA

"I gotta get up, get out, get on that road and go one more mile "

Tthe suspense is killing us, GA!

Stuck on the Border Houston Baby's Avatar

GA - that's mean! We are dying over here!

Just kidding!

Ok, so 13 year old girls also need to use the bathroom during concerts. I arrived back and my (long suffering) husband said to me 'come here, I want you to meet someone'. I'm thinking 'there's only one person here I want to meet and I don't think you have any power there'. I was right. BUT he brought me right up to the front of the standing section where a friend and colleague of his (Derek) was doing security for the 02! We chatted briefly and he said I could stay there. I was in row 1. Proper Row 1, a bit to the left on Timothy's side! Derek also said that while they had no contact with band members he'd see what he could 'get'. I stayed there for the rest of the show, and during ICTYW, Glenn was on the keyboard and I was only feet away from him. I was just so overwhelmed as to how I could go from anticipating a bad seat to being right at the stage. It was so perfect, just watching Glenn from there.
    The second half was pretty much as standard but they all did seem in great form. Timothy mentioned that his wife is Irish and got a cheer. To which Glenn responded that HIS wife was 'part' irish and he got a laugh.
    Joe had the audience rocking as always and had a head cam during LBG which he used to scan the front rows. Laura said she saw me on the screen. I dunno!
    Poor Glenn when Joe sang 'they send me emails, tell me Glenn's great' Glenn went over towards him. Joe changed the lyrics to 'tell me Dons great' and pointed up at Don! Glenn looked a tiny bit put out but then recovered immediately. I wasn't really near enough to Glenn to interact with him at all but I didn't mind.
    Oh, there was a kid in the front row (shouldn't have been. The age was 16 which was why I bought the seated tix in the first place!) but the lads made a great fuss of him. He gift picks from Timothy and Glenn and Don sent over his drumsticks.
    Anyway, just as they left the stage Derek called me over and handed me a copy of........ THE SET LIST!!! A guy beside me was hollering at the stage crew to give him one of Joes picks. The guy pulled down the last of Joe's picks and also one that Glenn had left. He gave the guy the Joe pick, and ME the Glenn one!!!

So a set list and a pick. Can it get better tonight....... I doubt it. I left on a high and can't believe that in an hour I'll be doing it all over again!!!
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Wow, Lisa! That's terrific! So happy for you that you were able to get so close to the stage & got a pick & setlist as well! Woo, hoo! Where is your seat for the next show?

Out on the Border

Talking Re: The Eagles 02 Dublin 4 June 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Glennsallnighter View Post
    Oh, there was a kid in the front row (shouldn't have been. The age was 16 which was why I bought the seated tix in the first place!) but the lads made a great fuss of him. He gift picks from Timothy and Glenn and Don sent over his drumsticks.
    During the interval, Scott Crago came over from behind stage left to meet my son, get his name so that Don could sign them for after the show. Timothy spotted him after the interval, and sent down his bass pick (straight from the great ones hand!). After the finale, Glenn spotted my son, so instead of walking off in turn, he went back and had a pick sent down. The signed sticks duly arrived. What a night for my kid, just 13y.o. and will carry those memories for the rest of his days!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Out on the Border

Smile Re: The Eagles 02 Dublin 4 June 2014

Hi Everyone, Haven't been on the books for a while. But I wanted to tell EVERYONE how wonderful it was to see the Eagles 4 June 2014.
    I missed them in 2009 due ill-health, so was I pleased as punch to see they were coming back to these shores. I had myself in a right state by the time I got from Belfast to Dublin, I just couldn't wait. Wooah!!!
    I was so pleased that they enforced a no picture or standing in the way (that's unless of course you were in the standing area, of course) I was in the B block and it gets really frustrating when all that starts up. CHEERS TO THE EAGLES FOR THAT.
    From the very start seeing them all walk on stage, including Bernie Leadon, it really made my night. I nearly passed out with the excitement, much to my mum's horror. There she thought that she had the monopoly on hysteria, HA!!
    I was not disappointed, my years of waiting to see them. Wonderful music, harmonies, the craic from them to us the crowd. I hope this isn't the last we will see of them, but I have a sad feeling that it might, so I enjoyed the night, singing along and what a time that it just literally flew by. WONDERFUL