Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Felder Forum Live!

Default Felder Forum Live!

Don posted this on his Facebook:

"It's getting harder and harder to stay in touch with my fans so I wanted to do a live Q & A with all of you! Catch me on Pherver this Tuesday, 6/17 at 6PM PST. I'll be live video chatting and answering questions as they come in online. I recommend signing up for your free account before Tuesday. Hope to see you all there."

Beneath that, there was this link and the following description:

http://www.pherver.com/studios/felder-forum/stage/

"Felder Forum is holding a live online performance, where the online audience is the only audience. Watch on your computer, phone, or tablet. Make song requests, meet other fans, and support Felder Forum!"

------------------------------------

Sounds interesting to me!!!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Default Re: Felder Forum Live!

A video chat Don Felder question and answer session seems like a good idea; I like the paragraph that says the Felder Forum is a place for fans to make requests, as well as share discussions! These are two lively contemporary ideas.

That’s cool and very nice of Don!

I requested "Wash Away" in a roundabout way.

15 minutes, guys!

I have to admit, I'm a bit unsure how this works. I assume we just watch the live video stream and he answers the questions we've submitted? I wonder if they will allow us to submit or respond to things he says DURING the forum, like a live chat? I guess we'll see.

It's not loading for me! Is anyone else having problems?

Blast it!!

ETA: He says on Facebook he's having technical difficulties. Fingers crossed it's resolved soon. At least I know I'm not missing anything!

ETA2: It's working now!

I did have problems, but I finally got in. One of my servers kept showing the spinning circle. The one I finally use was stuck on the picture of him and Tommy. Found out I had to sign in. LOL I forgot I had to sign in, but I thought it was only if you wanted to ask him a question.

The video chat ended before he answer a question about would he still be in the Eagles or a solo artist or something like that. I guess his 30 minutes was up, but it went over 3 minutes before the website shut it down.

It was a good chat. Don was looking good. I hope he does it again. It probably get better if he does it more.

FELDER CHAT #1 - JUNE 17, 2014

That was fun, and I even got a question answered! My one (minor) complaint was that he answered a lot of questions from the same guy and I think it might have been better for him to move on to other people's questions, perhaps only answer one question from each user. I got so sick of hearing him say "Another one from GuitarTeen..." lol. Still, cool overall!

Here are some highlights (I paraphrase):

What's the best guitar?
    He can't say what's the best because each has its own "unique voice," but his favorite is his '59 Les Paul Sunburst.

What do you think of the Frank Ocean controversy?
    He has "mixed feelings." He thinks it's "artistically OK" but not "legally OK." There are rules that Ocean didn't follow.

Who is your favorite guitarist?
    He listed lots of people here that he was influenced by or admired - a few I scribbled down were Chet Atkins, BB King, Eric Claption, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Jimmy Page, and Howard Roberts. However, he said they were all so different that he couldn't really pick a favorite.

Do you prefer being a solo artist to being in a band?
    He said he agreed with what Joe has said about a band being easier in the sense of not having so many responsibilities - he says in a band he's a "shareholder" but solo he's "running [his] own business" which has its challenges. In the end, though, he just likes playing music no matter if it's solo or in a band.

Who would you NOT want in the Eagles?
    [Note from Nancy: I was pissed off at this question. It seemed to be inviting him to diss his former bandmates. LAME.]
    Felder was classy in his answer. He said the five of them were a "magic combination" and he wouldn't have wanted anyone to not be in the band, despite personal tensions.

When will you tour the UK?
    He would love to go to the UK, Europe, and Australia, perhaps in 2015 or 2016, but nothing is cemented at this point.

What's it like touring with your son?

His son is no longer touring with him. He's married with three children and got out of the music industry entirely in order to be able to stay home and spend time with his family.

Who are the people in the pictures behind you?
    [Note from Nancy: I took a screenshot for this one]

He did the chat from his office - he was going to do it from his studio but they were having technical difficulties in there. There's a photo of him with President Clinton, but most of the photos are of his family.

Do you enjoy playing with Alice Cooper?
    He loves playing with Alice Cooper - not only music, but golf.

If you could, would you still be in the Eagles?
    Being in the Eagles was very demanding of his time, not only in terms of touring but in terms of time spent in the studio and writing. He barely saw his kids when he was in the Eagles. During the 80s, he chose to be a stay-at-home dad and he really enjoyed taking them to school, coaching their sports teams, fixing them meals, etc. When the Eagles got back together in 1994, he sometimes invited Leah (who was about 8 at the time) and Cody to visit him, but he missed them. It wasn't just his family he missed; he missed his friends, playing golf with them. As a solo artist, he can balance his personal and professional life much better than he could if he were with the Eagles.

Did you ever imagine you would have the kind of success as a solo artist that you had with the Eagles?
    When he was young, he was so poor that there was nothing to lose. He never imagined reaching the "rare" kind of success the Eagles had. He just worked hard and loved what he was doing.

Would you ever play with Joe again?
    He enjoyed playing with Joe; they had a special musical chemistry and he had no problems with him. He would love to work with him again.

Do you have any plans to do something special in 2016 to commemorate the 40th anniversary of "Hotel California"?

He doesn't have anything planned, but it would be nice to do something special for it. He invited anyone who has any ideas about what he might do to post them on his Facebook page.

Did you play with Michael Jackson?
    When Don was recording "Heavy Metal," Michael Jackson was recording Thriller with Quincy Jones across the hall in the same studio. Don knew Quincy Jones from the Flow days and so he hung out with them sometimes. Years later, the Prince of Bahrain tried to put together a "We are the World" type fundraiser album with Jackson writing songs. Jackson invited Don to be a part of it and he played on a few tracks, but then Jackson and the Prince of Bahrain had a falling out, got involved in a lawsuit, and the project never was released. Don said that perhaps the Jackson estate might release it one day.

Do you have any advice for aspiring musicians?
    "You gotta love what you do." (he expounded upon this idea, but that was the heart of it).

When did you buy your favorite guitar?
    Don bought it in 1974 or 1975, out of the back of a truck of a guy who came around with hundreds of guitars on a regular basis. Don would go through them all and that's how he found the '59 Les Paul Sunburst. It cost about $600 back then. It's currently on loan to the Laurel Canyon exhibit we've talked about elsewhere on the board.

Would you consider doing a "Duets" CD, perhaps with your daughter Leah?
    He won't do a duets CD per se, but his next CD will probably involve a lot of guest appearances from other musicians. As for Leah, she sings on the bridge of "Road to Forever" and they have some unreleased recordings together that he might release online one day.

I heard you planned on doing "Wash Away" with Tommy Shaw on the "Soundtrack of Summer" tour but it didn't materialize. Would you consider adding it at any point?
    [note from Nancy: this was my question!]
    Since Tommy comes out to play "Hotel California" during Don's set now, they decided it would be too difficult for him to come out twice. Additionally, Don would rather focus on his current single "You Don't Have Me" which is enjoying success on Classic Rock radio; "Wash Away" was released over a year ago.

Then he said that if I come to a show, I should tell him and he'd see what he could do. I about DIED when he said that because I've already been to a show and it's too late for me!

Maybe sometime in the future, eh? One can hope!

------------------

I probably missed some things, but that's what I got!

I don't remember some of these questions. My video was cut at 8:33pm my time. So he was still talking. Darn. I tried to get back on.

It sounds like you got cut off about halfway through, shun/