Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Felder Forum Live!

Default Re: Felder Forum Live!

I will miss this one too. I have choir rehearsal on Thursdays and this week is the first time we have rehearsal after being off for two weeks. If he has them on Wednesdays or Thursdays, I know I won't be able to go to them.

I just realized that he's doing a show Thursday too. I guess that means he'll be doing the chat not too long after he finishes his set!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

I missed the last one, I was too busy cleaning and such and I forgot about it. This time, I've set a reminder on my phone.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Half an hour!

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    So did anybody from here go to the last one? If so, what did he say?
    I watched the last video chat, but it kept cutting in and out, so I missed some parts. However, it was a nice chat. Don answered to a lot of questions.

Here are some screenshots that I took from the video chat:

From his hotel - cool!

My screenshots from this time didn't come out as well, but here are the best I got:

Again, I took notes - here we go:

DON FELDER CHAT #3 - JULY 17, 2014

1) What sports teams do you follow?
    He follows the Gators, Lakers, and Clippers. He also follows golf.

2) Did the History of the Eagles boost your popularity and sales?
    He believes that the documentary helped the sales of his book Heaven and Hell because people wanted to get "the other side of things." He also feels his touring with the Soundtrack of Summer tour has made his popularity and sales of Road to Forever increase.

3) Has Joe been prohibited from seeing you / talking to you?
    He doesn't believe Joe has been told not to see him or talk to him. However, he says that he knows from experience that "When you're in the 'Eagles army,' if you associate with someone who's not in that army, you're the enemy." He hopes that once the Eagles disband, Joe will want to hang out with him again, because he really has a "warm spot" for Joe in his heart.

4) How do you feel about the Soundtrack of Summer taping of the Las Vegas show?
    He's very excited about it and "can't wait." He says people have been wanting a DVD and the bands were having so much fun doing the tour that they wanted to share it with everyone. He loves working with these guys so much that he is hoping to play and write again with them in the future. Right now, though, he's ready for a break; after three solid months of touring, he'd like to be home again with his children and "fi-.. girlfriend" [Note from Nancy: he'd started to say fiancee, then stopped. Hmm!]

5) Are you married?
    He's not married, but he's "deeply involved in a very special relationship." While the topic of marriage has come up, they have decided that they like things as they are. In fact, he went so far as to say marriage might "spoil it." However, while they are not legally married, they are "heart bonded" and he's very happy.
    [Note from Nancy: I was astonished that he apparently feels being engaged for several years can be presented as nothing more than "the topic of marriage coming up" but I guess the engagement's off. No wonder he corrected himself when answering the last question!]

6) Are more shows planned for the future?
    He constantly has offers to play all over the world, but he doesn't want to overwork himself. He wants to spend time with his family and have relationships outside of the music business, but he definitely doesn't want to give up the road either. It's a "delicate balance."

7) Will you play more songs from Airborne live?
    Many songs from Airborne are "slow and sleek" and not necessarily conducive to the type of arenas he's currently playing. He'd love to do more songs from that album at some point, though; he says people have been requesting them.

8 ) What Eagles or solo songs from your career would you like to record?

[Note from Nancy: maybe I misheard this one? It didn't seem to make sense. Don looked confused, too.]
    Don says he's already recorded the Eagles / solo songs he'd like to record... but in terms of doing new arrangements, he'd like to do a FOURTH arrangement of "Hotel California." The third arrangement he'd just done for the Soundtrack of Summer CD was a challenge because he had to include so many different talents. He thinks it would be fun to put together yet another arrangement of it. He noted that he really likes what the Gypsy Kings did with the song a while ago.

9) What artists would you like to play with in the future?

For a long time, he'd wanted to play with John Mayer, and was "delighted" when he finally got to do so for a recent Autism Speaks benefit. An artist he would love to work with in the future is Alicia Keys; although their styles are different, he feels she is the "Aretha Franklin of the 21st century."

10) Would you come to Columbus, Ohio? Can you release all of the tour dates you're planning right now?
    He would love to come to Columbus, but this tour only had time to hit the major markets. It would be logistically impossible to play all of the cities out there that he'd love to visit, but perhaps one day he will be able to play Columbus, Cleveland, and other cities that have been skipped on this tour.

11) In History of the Eagles, Don Henley said that you continue to sue them. What is he talking about?
    Don Felder says that he "can't discuss the finer points of the legal ramifications" but "there were certain issues that had to be addressed" and "those issues are in the process of being resolved." He went on to say that he misses Don Henley, and of course misses playing with Joe and Timothy. After a brief pause, he added, "I miss playing with Glenn, too, when he's in a good mood."

12) Did you enjoy playing with Jackson Browne on the Don Kirshner Rock Concert in 1974?
    That was one of the first TV shows he'd ever done. They worked out how they were going to accompany Jackson on "Your Bright Baby Blues" at soundcheck, and that's when he decided to play slide guitar on it. He loves Jackson Browne.

13) Do you have any pre-show routines?
    Those vary wildly depending on the amount of time he has. When he has a lot of time, he'll spent it going over gear, looking at emails and reviewing potential bookings, etc. One thing that he always does about 20 minutes before a show is gather his band in his dressing room and practice singing with them. It warms them up, loosens them up, and opens up their voices. He plays guitar during these pre-show sessions as well.

14) Do you use any alternate tunings?
    [Note from Nancy: I tried hard to write these down accurately because I know we have guitarists on here who are very interested in these details! I hope I got it right.]
    He uses alternate tunings all the time. On "You Don't Have Me," he took a regular guitar and re-strung it with 12 Gauge strings, then tuned it down a whole step to get a "fat" sound for the song. In the studio, he also dropped the low E down to a D. His tunings vary greatly from song to song; for instance, he's turned his slide guitar from E down to E flat. In "Southern Bound," the guitar solo in the middle has a different tuning.

15) Do you play "Hotel California" live a whole step lower than on the Eagles recording?
    Yes, he does. He wrote the song in D Minor, which is a very good tuning for the guitar. However, it was too high for Don Henley to sing in. They dropped it to D, then C Minor, but still it was too high. They dropped it to A minor, but that was too low. Finally, they settled on B Minor. While that worked well for Don Henley's voice, it's an awkward guitar tuning. A Minor is much better for guitar, so when he's playing it, he puts a capo on the fifth fret and plays it in A Minor.

16) Do you listen to current music?
    Since he's working on a new album, he tries not to listen to new music lest it influence him subconsciously and he finds himself echoing trends in his music rather than having it all come from himself. He's writing regularly now; today alone he spent 30 minutes writing a song.

17) When will the new CD be ready?

He never sets a date until he feels he has enough songs to make a strong album. He plans on involving many collaborators. He hopes to have it ready by late 2015 or 2016 - since 2016 is the 40th anniversary of the release of Hotel California, he might do something for that.

18 ) Do you fly yourself to your shows?

While he has a commercial pilot's license and flies for pleasure, it would be unwise to fly a plane from show to show. Performance days are very full and at the end, he's too tired to operate a plane safely.

19) Define excellence and elegance with regard to musicianship.
    There are many different types of music, styles, techniques, and tones, but as long as a piece of music can "make the hair on the back of your neck stand up," it's "excellent." This applies to all art, not just music; if it "moves" you, if you can "feel" it - that's excellence. As for elegance, that word to him brings to mind a classical sound, like a string quartet. He loves that sound and when writing the music for "The Sad Cafe," he had envisioned a string quartet playing some of the instrumentation on it.

20) This isn't a question, but the Eagles will never be the same without you.
    He repeated that those 5 guys - or 7, if you include Randy and Bernie - had something special when they got together that he's honored to have been a part of - a "serendipitous collision" of talents. While it's true that they're not the same now since he's left, that's the case when anyone leaves or joins a band. They weren't the same after he joined as they were before, either; the band changes with the players. "It is what it is."

He then said he had to leave because he was going to sit in with Styx. [Note from Nancy: I wonder when he started doing that? Gives Felder fans a reason to stick around. ]

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

Thanks for doing this, Soda, very cool. Those were some good questions, and answers. Guess that confirms that the legal issues are still ongoing - crazy.

I can't remember, does he have a child with Kathrin?

Stuck on the Border

Thank you for reporting back on this. He gives good answers and I like how he handled the last one. So they're filming a show for DVD and he's writing for a new album. Maybe that could inspire some other guys.