Thread: Chuck Noll

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Default Chuck Noll

The only coach to ever win 4 Super Bowls died today at the age of 82. Nicknamed The Emperor because he didn't take anything from anyone, he was such a great coach that as a kid, I took him for granted. I thought he'd be easily replaced and soon learned there were none like him.

I met him once in 1982 at the airport in Pittsburgh. His gate was next to mine, and the entire East Coast seemed to be blanketed by fog. He was surrounded by others and they were on the way to a scouting combine, I was on my way to my very first interview at Eastman Kodak in Rochester, NY. It was the first airplane ride for me and I was beyond nervous about that and the interview. He caught me looking at him several times and broke off a conversation with someone else to smile at me and ask me how I was doing. It's something I'll remember the rest of my life, it's not often we get to meet someone who is truly a genius at something.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Default Re: Chuck Noll

Thanks for mentioning the Steelers' legendary coach, Chuck Noll. Your story about his greeting to you at the airport gives the impression of so many people; places; smiles; and faces; all in his few words. I'm taking a quiet minute to think about those years of championship fame and glory, which often seemed to be due to a coach fielding standout athletes.
    Last edited by Lisa; 06-14-2014 at 08:20 PM. Reason: punctuation incongruity (grammar)