Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Digital Restrictions on Eagles music

Border Troubadour

Default Digital Restrictions on Eagles music

Hi guys, I wonder if you can help me with a technical question? I bought a Samsung Galaxy mini smartphone a few weeks back and I love it. I can download or upload (whatever the correct term is) all my documemts, photos etc. However when I try to download any Eagles music or Don Henley it won't work. It says something to the effect 'cannot open this application'. Now I have downloaded their music to my computer and MPI player and they worked fine. Is there some blockage by Warner Bros that means you can only download the music so many times? I don't understand it and the girl in the phone shop hadn't a clue. She'd never even heard of the Eagles - she asked who sang that song when I said I can't play the Eagles...
    ...Well it sure makes you wonder the things that some people will say. They can see black and white but they don't seem to notice the grey...

Default Re: Report Board Glitches and/or Ask about board issues

Hmm. If it's isolated to the Eagles and Don Henley it might be a restricted access thing - have you tried music from any other artists?

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Border Troubadour

Hi Soda, yes I can play everyone else I upload, David Bowie, Rodney Crowell etc. with no problem. I just can't understand why the ones I want to upload more than any of the others, namely, Don and the Eagles, won't play. They must have some restriction imposed 'though I've never heard of it before
    Last edited by DivineDon; 06-14-2014 at 02:06 PM.
    ...Well it sure makes you wonder the things that some people will say. They can see black and white but they don't seem to notice the grey...

Border Troubadour

For those of you interested in case it might apply sometime, I've discovered that there is a DRM or Digital Rights Management block on the Eagles and Don Henley's music when uploading to certain devices - such as my phone, so you can't play them.

Funnily enough though, I was able to upload all their music onto a cheap MP3 player I bought in the supermarket!!!

How ridiculous and useless of a restriction is that? When will our guys get with the program?

But that could be its own topic! In fact, I might make it one.

ETA: Done.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Default Re: Digital Restrictions on Eagles music

How strange! My iPod had no trouble with their music. I made MP3's from my CDs. Is this how you're doing it?

Wintertime is a razor blade that the devil made
    It's the price we pay for the summertime - J.W. '69

Border Troubadour

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Visitor View Post
    How strange! My iPod had no trouble with their music. I made MP3's from my CDs. Is this how you're doing it?

Yes, exactly. I can upload the music from my Eagles/Don CDs to certain devices like I said such as a cheap MP3 player but not to an expensive Samsung Smartphone. The message 'because of DRM Digital Rights Management' this music won't play' keeps popping up.

Bizarre

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Are you sure you're uploading MP3s converted from CDs from your computer? There were and are places here that use that technology. The idea is that you can download to one computer and one only. MP3 players are dumb devices, not computers. A smartphone, however, is a computer, so yes, you can't transfer music from a computer to a phone if it's DRM. I accidentally purchased this type of music from Walmart when they had MP3 downloads and then couldn't transfer it to the computer that had the CD burner on it. I wasn't happy!

I've never heard of a CD having this technology, but it's possible. Too many people copy music for friends instead of everyone buying their own, and this technology has been around for a long time. It's being phased out here for the very reason you are having issues. Fewer people use CDs and even MP3 players now because phones are much handier.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Border Troubadour

HI VA, I understand what you're saying. I know a SmartPhone is different to an MP3 player which is why I downloaded the software specifically for my phone which makes it compatible with my computer. This enables me to upload music, images, videos etc. between the two. Having done all that, the only music that still wouldn't play was the Eagles and Don.

Now I understand they're trying to cover themselves from being ripped off but sometimes I think they're so concerned with those that don't pay for their music, they forget about those that do.

Like you said, MP3s are getting passe and I want to listen to my favourite music on whatever device I decide to. I did pay for the CDs afterall.

I love the guys to bits but sometimes I wish they'd lighten up and 'Get Over it!'
    Last edited by DivineDon; 06-16-2014 at 10:26 AM.

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Here in the states, it's usually released with both. You need to look for the DRM before you buy it, though it's never occurred to me to look for it on a CD. I just looked at my entire Eagles/solo collection and none of them have it on the CD. Of course, had I thought about it, I have the entire collection of Eagles on my phone, and most of Glenn and Don's solo stuff. So they didn't put that restriction on the music here in the US on these CDs. Of course, I bought nearly all of them before that restriction was made available.

I just did a quick check on Amazon. Here, anyway, the CDs and MP3's don't have the restriction listed. There's a way around the restriction, but I don't remember what it is.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.