Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Reason behind no Henley/Frey solo material on history of eagles

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Default Re: Reason behind no Henley/Frey solo material on history of eagles

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    Personally, I don't miss it. If I want to hear "Dirty Laundry" and "Boys of Summer," I'll go to a Don Henley solo show. Heck, if it were up to me, they'd drop one of Joe's solo songs during the encores for the "Seven Bridges Road" / "How Long" combo.

And welcome, kev!
    My thoughts exactly! I'm sure he and the rest of them will tour solo sometime again.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Quote Originally Posted by kevycanavan View Post
    Thanks for the welcome.

So I guess it's never been discussed by the band, or former band members, how they make these decisions?
    You'd imagine they are the sorts of things that could lead to arguments.

I saw the history tour two weeks ago in Dublin, and I have to say that the Walsh songs stuck out like a sore thumb in that set.
    For me, usually, the solo spots are some of my favourite parts of the show, but in this particular concert, not so much.

It was a weird set, because some of it seemed really fresh, like doolin'-dalton and those shoes, and some of it seemed really forced, like Joe's stuff, and the likes of Heartache tonight, which I guess they think they have to play at every show. It made the show seem a little less coherent than it could have been.

For me songs like Last Resort and Seven Bridges Road would have been much better fits than Funk 49 and Rocky Mountain Way.

I think they could have also done with skipping Love Will Keep Us Alive this time, and maybe played Get Over It instead.
    It felt like, in places, they just took the set they have been playing since 95, and spruced it up with a few new ones.
    I thought that was an Irish name! Are you from Dublin? What show(s) were you at?
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Out on the Border

I'm from Newry. I was at the first night in Dublin of the History show as well as Belfast in 2001, and the RDS in 1996

Stuck on the Border

Given that they have not played any of Glenn's solo songs since the Farewell One tour it's highly unlikely that they will do so again.

I think they do too many Walsh songs as well but that seems to be the way they reinvigorate themselves in the second half.
    Last edited by Freypower; 06-19-2014 at 08:09 PM.

I just read all your comments and they very clearly show that we all have different wants in regards to songs on the tour
    As for me I would love to hear a Timothy solo song
    I guess they just had to make decisions based on the history aspect and what songs the crowd reacts to
    I think Those Shoes is the most awesome song in the whole show!!!

I miss the solo songs, but not if we are trading the current songs.

Not all of us can get to a Henley solo show - and TBH I'd have a hard time driving 4 hours for one to a venue he'd likely play at (I know, I'm a lousy fan) and so hearing The Boys Of Summer, Dirty Laundry, All She Wants To Do Is Dance, etc on the LROOE was a treat. Otherwise for me the HOTE tour was way better in terms of setlist, seating and overall experience.

I think one solo song is a good idea. Of course for me TBOS is Henley's defining song for me personally and for Joe it'd be Life's Been Good.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Border Troubadour

I personally loved the show but if I had one niggle I'd have to say there was too many Joe solos in the second half so I'd agree with whoever mentioned that. My aunt and her friend came too and enjoyed the first half much better as well. I know Joe is a star but sometimes he overplays it and I think that there definitely should be one solo from each of the others. If I had to choose one of Don's (and that would be tough) I'd go for a ballad like Talking to the Moon or if he'd sung Lilah that would have gone down well 'cos of its Irish air but he'd probably have picked either TBOS or DL because they're so well known.

But I do think they should play something from LROOE, it's a fab album and sold bucketloads. How Long would be terrific. I can't understand why they ignore LROOE when the tour is called HOTE. Afterall, they made that album with their present line up.
    Last edited by DivineDon; 06-20-2014 at 08:33 AM.
    ...Well it sure makes you wonder the things that some people will say. They can see black and white but they don't seem to notice the grey...

Border Troubadour

I'd stay with the first half as it is; then do WT(R)-PMAIAR, NKIT, ICTYW, The Long Run, In The City, Those Shoes, Heartache Tonight and LWKUA, then The Boys of Summer, Smuggler's Blues, [a TBS song], Funk #49 finishing with LITFL. Hotel Cali still the first encore, then LBG, Desperado and TIE as the final encore. That'd suit me fine

Quote Originally Posted by VAisForEagleLovers View Post
    WHAT DON HENLEY SOLO SHOWS? Sorry...felt the need to shout. I'm getting impatient for the new album and resulting shows.
    I know, I am dying to get the new album, to at least see a solo show.

I wish Don has solo songs in the set but I can understand why they don't do it, the show they put on now is really good, it would be hard to drop any of it to put in Don solo songs except maybe trade some Joe solo songs for Don's. Like maybe instead of Funk #49 you could have Boys Of Summer.
    ~Sara

Border Troubadour

Out of interest when Don H. does solo shows, does it comprise of entirely his own work or like Glenn and Don F. do does he include some Eagles songs?