Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: London 18 June 2014

Border Troubadour

Default London O2, 18 June 2014

Wow. Absolutely mesmerised by what I saw last night. Glenn was on fire, literally everything was spot on faultless. Joe was mad as ever, and Bernie was about ten times better than any 1970s video I've seen of him. TBS sounded a bit weary and ICTYW wasn't as powerful as for example F1, but that's irrelevant in the bigger picture. Genuinely feel honoured to have seen and heard what I did last night. Best night I've had in ages (perhaps years) and worth £125 with ease. God bless the Eagles!
    Last edited by thelastresort; 06-21-2014 at 03:33 PM.

Border Troubadour

Default Re: London 18 June

should add, sorry if the formatting is horrendous, my phone doesn't take a fancy to this website

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Niall Horan of One Direction was at last night's show and here's some of his tweets:

The instagram picture was extremely blurry.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Paul Carrack posted this photo on Facebook today with the caption:
    PC and Timothy B Schmit at the O2 Arena
    Timothy has such a sweet smile!

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

Thanks, SM! Goatee is gone!

Out on the Border

Well if the reviews from last nights shows arent complimentary i dont know what they have to do. That was awesome!

3 hrs of hit after hit. Everyone was on great form and they appeared to be having a ball up there.
    To be able to play all those songs note perfect from start to finish just like they are on the album is a huge skill.
    It was great to see them perform a full set, the harmonies were amazing.

As all good concerts do, this one flew by despite the fact they played nearly 30 songs. I really think Steuart Smith doesn't get as much recognition as he should sometimes, he is (along with Glenn, Joe, Don, Bernie and Timothy of course) a really great guitarist.

They say that the only thing that can spoil a concert are the other fans in the audience. Unfortunately i happened to be sat right by a rather eccentric woman who would not stop screaming after each song before breaking into a coughing fit! Her Husband nearly had to drag her out because he "thought she was going to die" She was enjoying herself though and calmed down towards the end. I sure wasn't going to let it spoil my enjoyment.

Definitely a complete sell out, not one spare seat in the house, amazing!

Out on the Border

Default Re: London 18 June 2014

One of the 'reviews' I read criticised the note perfect performances. IMHO how can you improve on Lyin Eyes or Hotel California anyway ? To be playing ANY music of that standard after 42 years is a massive achievement.

Perhaps they would get more recognition if they lip synched, and changed costumes every few songs.

In fact the only negative comment from Mrs D was "I see their dress sense hasn't improved"

Border Troubadour

Back at uni now so here ya go:

Obviously nothing has changed on the setlist. Don sounded a little bit off on Saturday Night, but of course it was their first song and is quite flat in itself. Don joked after the song before Bernie emerged that he forgot what album it came from; then said 'Alright, we got some valley rats in!' when someone cheered when he mentioned the valley Bud's was in. There's definitely accordion and mandolin backing on SN, additional percussion on PEF and perhaps some keyboards on WW too. Not that any of that is against them!

Timothy's harmonica on Doolin-Dalton was perfect, he can really play it well. Earned himself a huge cheer too! D-D/D Reprise was perfect, probably one of my favourite songs of the night, just a shame that they've seem to cut the outro a bit from the album version.

I love the video intro to On the Border, the timing was dead on from 'We wanted to rock harder' to Bernie and Joe starting the intro (amazing background video too!). Glenn told the story of the one woman requesting BOML that sparked a nationwide surge before doing the old 'everything fast' and 'plaintiff' jokes before Lyin' Eyes. TITTL came with the usual Randy shoutout (though I can't remember if Glenn mentioned him being unwell specifically, just that he couldn't make it) and it got a huge cheer.

As I said last night, TBS sounded a bit weak on ICTYW but the solo was as beautiful as ever. New Kid in Town was faultless. I want some of what Glenn has for breakfast, he must be having some good stuff to keep going like he does, especially on vocals. TBS did the lights up thing pre-LWKUA (I think it was, it may have been ICTYW), and did a shoutout to Paul Carrick, who was in the audience. Glenn then did the 'great idea ... that happens a lot line' pre-Heartache Tonight, which was absolutely wonderful, I love it! Those Shoes was a bit more average but I loved the recycling of the BBF video in the background, and the dark, mystical lighting. Joe revived the helmet cam for LBG, and I loved the messing about with Glenn pre-Funk #49. Don gave a long speech pre-TLR about Miama and how wrecked he was over the course of it, before doing shoutouts to Eric Clapton and the Bee Gees. Life in the Fast Lane was wonderful (during which I noticed just how good the extra percussionist is, he was on it!).

Hotel California got a huge cheer at the start, and an even bigger one at the end. Glenn did his usual acknowledgement of Bernie pre-Take It Easy, and a very specific moment of my life was fulfilled when I saw Glenn and TBS sing the Winslow, Arizone line live; it was just the icing on an amazing cake. RMW was a bit meh (I really don't like it all truth be told, certainly as an encore) and Don delivered Desperado beautifully (practically everyone sang the 'Let somebody love you' line!).

All in all an amazing, amazing experience. Can't wait for Liverpool next and I desperately, desperately, desperately hope this isn't the last time they venture on this side of the Atlantic.

Border Troubadour

Also a wonderfully random question - I bought a T-shirt from Merchandise last night, turns out it's a bit tight. There'd be no chance of an exchange with the same company at a different venue would there?

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

tlr, wonderful review! Thanks so much! I'm glad you had such an awesome time ! But I knew you would!

Dayveau and cj, thanks for your comments too! The Eagles just do not disappoint! They are fabulous! Every time!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten