Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Remembering 9/11

Stuck on the Border Grey Sadler's Avatar

Default Re: Remembering 9/11

I know it's late, but I've been reading all the other remembrances...

Eleven years ago, I was working at my old school (independent study/alternative/diploma options for the county). We had just given students their first morning break (they got one every 2 hours and most were allowed to drive out & get some fast food/etc). Our director walked in our room and told us that a plane had just hit the WTC. I tried to get on one of the two computers that had internet at the time; there was virtually nothing about it. Before I knew it, the second plane had hit, and as many staff as possible crowded around the little tv in the director's office to watch the live footage. I remember spending the rest of the day explaining what was going on to the students that knew what was going on (especially two girls that were petrified their boyfriends were going to be drafted)...

This morning during our (regular/first) moment of silence, I put up the picture of the firemen raising the flag at Ground Zero on our SmartBoard and told the kids "Don't think of this as a sad day. Do something NICE for someone else. Pick up someone's books off the floor, tell them they look nice...SOMETHING nice!!"

I remember my Buffalo Sabres were in NYC to play the Rangers as the first sporting event after 9/11...our team wore jerseys that said "New York"...it was a very emotional game...the jerseys were then auctioned and over $200,000 was raised for 9/11 charities...On the radio today, they were saying that many of the first responders that attended the game still come in and visit the Sabres whenever they're in NYC...

Stuck on the Border Tiffanny Twisted's Avatar

thanks soda for the info

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Sadler View Post
    I know it's late, but I've been reading all the other remembrances...

Eleven years ago, I was working at my old school (independent study/alternative/diploma options for the county). We had just given students their first morning break (they got one every 2 hours and most were allowed to drive out & get some fast food/etc).
    How hard it was for kids to understand. I don't know how old the kids were you were working with at the time.

I was doing daycare (as I still do) and I remember thinking all day, how do I handle this when they come home from school. I touched base with each parent that day, many of them calling me and asking for updates because they weren't able to get to tvs, and asking them how they wished for me to handle this. Also, both of my children were still in grammar school so I worried about them. At that time, the school bus left off at the corner and the kids walked the half a block to my house where I always stood out front watching. That day I walked to the corner to meet them, each and every kid came off that school bus with their mouths going a thousand miles a minute with questions and commentary on what they had heard and watched at school about it. We all came home and sat down and I did my best to answer their questions without scaring them. But even at those young ages, I think they all knew that this was BIG and that things would never be quite the same again.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Quote Originally Posted by TimothyBFan View Post
    It's a day and a time in all of our lives that none of will ever forget.
    Exactly. Even those of us across the Atlantic, who were only teenagers at the time. I still vividly remember watching it on the news and being stunned into silence. I watched the second plane hit the tower and it was so surreal... like a slow-motion movie. Just horrible. The reality of it didn't sink in until much later.

you better put it all behind you, baby, 'cause life goes on
    you keep carrying that anger, it'll eat you up inside--

Stuck on the Border Tiffanny Twisted's Avatar

Amy

I love how you handled yesterday with your kids...Try not to think of it as a sad day but a day to do something nice for someone else.

Wish I had had you as a teacher in my much much younger days tt

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Laura wasn't even 5 months old at the time, and I was still on maternity leave. Of course it was lunchtime over here when it all happened and I remember we were having lunch in a coffee shop which we used to go to at the time. It provided sheltered employment for special needs peiople. Anyway their co ordinator came rumming out onto the ;lobby saying that the first plane had crashed into the towers. Obviously a myriad of theories about=nded until the second plane crashed in. Then we all felt that sickening thud as realisation dawned that this was no accident.

My husband is a fire fighter, and I remember thinking how it would have been if he had been in NYFD that day instead of Dublin FB. I also remember thinking of mothers like myself who's husbands and partners sacrificed their own lives to save the people of New York that day. I would have hated Laura never to have known her father, and yet I'm sure there are quite a proportion of children that that happened to on that terrible day. All these men and women are true heroes.
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

I was teaching preschool at the time. It was the first day for the three year olds, so I had asked my friend to come in to help. Her husband called. I could tell he was upset. He worked in Jersey City and saw the plane hit the building where his sister and nephew worked. Neither of them were ever found. A few days later, on the way home from school, my two younger kids and some of their friends and I stopped at the beach. We have a perfect view of the city. Now, instead of the twin towers, all we saw was smoke. 37 people from our township died that day. We knew people were missing from bus stop shelters that we passed every morning. There were flyers there with pictures of the missing. I went to the memorial service for my friend's sister-in-law. She was a single mother of a teenage son. He spoke about the last time he talked to his mom and it was so sad. Then her sister sang the Don Henley song Taking You Home. There wasn't a dry eye in that church. I try to catch their names being read every year, and this year, even though I was at work, they had a TV on and I was able to see it. What a terrible day.
    Last edited by SallyGee; 09-13-2012 at 02:33 PM.

What a poignant memory SG.
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Yes - thanks for telling us about it. Once again, I can only imagine what that must have been like.

SG, was the Henley song you heard perhaps "Taking You Home"?

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten