Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819 LastLast

Thread: The issue of Phone camera's and other issues in concert

Default Re: The issue of Phone camera's and other issues in concert

I love my phone, but people do get out of control. Dreamer, HB, and I were walking down a sidewalk in Detroit and there was a family blocking the way - Mom, Dad, and all three kids (ranging from what looked to be about 8-15) each on their own phones just standing around entertaining themselves and completely oblivious that they were taking up the entire sidewalk!!! We had to excuse ourselves so we could get by. I was like "Great parenting" lol.

Still, there's something I read once that I've found to be pretty true:

Tech popularized before you're 40: not too difficult to learn, makes life easier, really cool

Tech popularized after you're 40: hard to use, unnecessary, detrimental to society!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by New Kid In Town View Post
    Right on Austin ! I totally agree with you !
    I have a funny little story. I spend the holiday with my two sisters and their hubby's at the shore. While we were eating dinner one night my sister's each told a couple of stories that made us laugh/shake our heads. My one sister works in the city. She said she was walking from the subway station to her office when she saw a 20 something kid walk into a pole. The kid had her head down reading her phone, oblivious to everything around her. My other sister said they were out to diner a couple of weeks ago. They sat near a family of four, who did not talk to each other the entire time they were at the table. They only spoke when they gave their food order. Their entire time was spent on the phone - two hours !
    I get what he is saying but those kind of preachy people get on my nerves. Jack is not THAT old. He is talking like he is 80 years old.
    Haha! Yep, I also really don't care for the preachy types.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    I love my phone, but people do get out of control. Dreamer, HB, and I were walking down a sidewalk in Detroit and there was a family blocking the way - Mom, Dad, and all three kids (ranging from what looked to be about 8-15) each on their own phones just standing around entertaining themselves and completely oblivious that they were taking up the entire sidewalk!!! We had to excuse ourselves so we could get by. I was like "Great parenting" lol.

Still, there's something I read once that I've found to be pretty true:

Tech popularized before you're 40: not too difficult to learn, makes life easier, really cool

Tech popularized after you're 40: hard to use, unnecessary, detrimental to society!
    Yeah, I guess I can see that. You still need to be mindful of your surroundings and make sure you aren't standing in someone's way or that you don't run into someone or in traffic. But I personally don't mind if someone is standing off to the side or sitting on a bench using their phone. Some like to share that stupid "zombie apocalypse" photo of everyone on their phone in a group but I don't see a problem. As long as you aren't bothering others, do your thing. I still don't think it's an addiction. I don't see a need for the digital detoxes or the "disconnect" camps/retreats, etc. I just don't see it as that big of a problem but I know i'm probably alone. Even Apple and Google are implementing "screen time" features to control smartphone overuse, and not just for kids but for adults. I just don't see it as a problem. Maybe I'm in denial.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

As far as phones when you are out to dinner, some have a real problem with it. Some even insist that you turn your phone off if you eat with them or you have to put money in a jar if you grab your phone from a basket during the meal. IMO, that's silly. We aren't children needing to have a swear jar, lol. While I can understand the need to communicate during the meal and give attention and not be silent and glued to your phone, checking your phone randomly during the meal, especially when waiting for your food is not a big deal to me. Again, older people tend to be more "funny" about that kind of thing. They also tend to share photos like the one going around Facebook of a little boy on his phone sitting with his grandpa/great grandpa, designed to pull your heartstrings and saying something like "he will regret this later on". I guess I'm neutral on that. I can see both sides, but I think the anti-phone side tends to be more over-the-top and dramatic. It's definitely one of those things that a balanced mindset works well. Be present, but respectful.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

Like most things, there are both good and bad aspects to cell phones. It sure used to be nice to go on vacation, etc. and not have to deal with your boss, nosy Aunt Gertrude, and so forth.
    I agree with Soda about the middle age technology gap. I don't think it is due to a lack of ability to learn, but teenagers, elderly parents, money issues, etc. cause tech to be a non-priority, and it passes you by. It seems that one day I was setting up friends' stereos and vcrs for them, and the next I was lost as a goose!
    I will say that when I was in elementary school, we had some lessons in phone manners. I think it would be a good idea to return it, with added parts on safety from predators and admonishments not to bully.
    But if people want to be rude, goodness knows they don't need a cell phone to do it! And people can obsess about anything.
    My grandpa, born at the turn of the last century, found technology amusing AND helpful. He would laugh and say, "Some people talk about the 'Good Old Days'---this IS THEM!"
    "Be part of something good--
    Leave something good behind."

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    As far as phones when you are out to dinner, some have a real problem with it. Some even insist that you turn your phone off if you eat with them or you have to put money in a jar if you grab your phone from a basket during the meal. IMO, that's silly. We aren't children needing to have a swear jar, lol. While I can understand the need to communicate during the meal and give attention and not be silent and glued to your phone, checking your phone randomly during the meal, especially when waiting for your food is not a big deal to me. Again, older people tend to be more "funny" about that kind of thing. They also tend to share photos like the one going around Facebook of a little boy on his phone sitting with his grandpa/great grandpa, designed to pull your heartstrings and saying something like "he will regret this later on". I guess I'm neutral on that. I can see both sides, but I think the anti-phone side tends to be more over-the-top and dramatic. It's definitely one of those things that a balanced mindset works well. Be present, but respectful.
    Ah, I'm one of the people who doesn't like it when people are on their phones during dinner with other people. I think it depends on how you think of dinner: a time when you just eat, or a social occasion with your family and friends.

I bring my phone to the table to check it when the meal is over, but when there's conversation going, I think it's downright rude to ignore people talking to you to check your phone. It's like "Hey, this is more interesting than you are."

I have friends who I've gone out to eat with, just one on one, and they've been checking their phone while we're eating together, and I am just a smidge offended. I swallow it down because they're my friends and I know they don't mean to be rude, but it's not a good feeling. It's like, "Am I not enough for you?" And I have to wait until they're done to talk to them.

When this is happening throughout the meal - and it always does, because they can't put down their phone for more than a few minutes - it sucks.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I like Soda's thinking on it. Don't be disrespectful when you are with friends or family. You are spending time with them so give them your attention.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

I agree. Unless you have someone in the hospital or something, checking your phone can wait. Although not as obvious, it is not unlike pulling out your paperback book, putting on your headphones, or chatting at length to folks at the next table. Making your fellow diners feel uninteresting and ignored is not a good thing, whatever the means. It's not the fact that a phone is being used and old people hate it. It is the lack of consideration for your companion(s).

Cell phones are great technology, and some folks can be over the top fanatical against them. But if folks used more courtesy using them, maybe they would find less push back.
    "Be part of something good--
    Leave something good behind."

Everyone has their own views on that, I understand. It's a touchy subject. I should clarify some things here, and maybe stand firm on some others I guess on where I'm personally at on dining with smartphones.

Do I mean use your phone throughout unless you are holding up silverware, no. But if there is a blank space in conversation or they've went off the rails with another person and left you out, do I think you should be able to pull out your phone and check notifications, heck yes! Again, if someone is having a conversation with me, or a group convo that involves me - absolutely I don't look down at my phone and scroll. But you can also bet that I will use it when I see an opportunity. And if I'm only dining with one other person, you can also bet that I will be scrolling like mad while you are in the bathroom. I don't see it as bad.

I personally don't see phones as being addictive, nor do I see a problem with people who have to check them all throughout the day, everyday. People call it FOMO - fear of missing out. I laugh. I mean, it's not like this is going to be a DSM diagnosis in the future. It depends on your viewpoint. I definitely take a modern, more "youthful" viewpoint of using a phone. Some people IMO go over the top with their 'pushback' of smartphone usage. These things are our lives now, and I'm ok with that. The people that aren't on board - that's fine. Don't use one. But don't expect me to be real over the moon when you chastise me for my love of it.

It's like those who go on about social media friends vs real life friends and how people aren't connected enough and rely too much on online communication vs in-person communication. If you are going to speak out about that - you best make sure you aren't one of those people who ever talk for hours on the phone. "Yeah, but you can hear their voice, etc" (as if FaceTime/Skype/Hangouts don't exist!). It's still not in person, so I'm absolutely going to call you a hypocrite if you say something to me about my preference of online communication, lol. Again, before you go raking someone over the coals, don't be guilty too.

Again, as I said in my last post - you do need to be present in conversation, in the place you are at, and mindful. But the other side needs to be respectful about how they go about showing their disdain for people. Otherwise we may just not go to dinner with you anymore and may remove the hassle altogether, and instead choose to sit at home and eat and yep - use our phone, which will probably have some even more up in arms about the current state of things even more. It's a delicate balance and both sides need to be able to be mindful of one another. I'll be in the moment for you and present, but don't rake me over the coals!
    Last edited by WalshFan88; 07-10-2019 at 06:52 PM.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

I'm personally of the kind that could never take a trip or do any of those retreats where you can't use your phone or the internet. They'd end up putting me in an insane asylum before it was over!

I'm the guy that if I'm traveling and the hotel internet is slow or if the power goes out at home and my high speed wifi is gone, that's going to be a really bad day for me. First world problems, I know.

To some I'm sure they can't get over how trivial it is. They wouldn't be wrong I suppose but that's just how my life is. I'm a product of that generation. I think people that are older than I can handle it better. I can't imagine life without the internet. Or social media. Or a life without phones, tablets, and computers, which are all honestly pretty useless to me without the internet. I prefer to text than call, so I don't use my phone as a real phone very much. So if there is voice reception but no data, I might as well not even have the silly thing. I, like most other smartphone enthusiasts, spend hours on my phone. I pretty much only stream content now, and I'm using Netflix, Hulu, HBO NOW, Prime Video, Spotify, YouTube, etc way more than I turn on the satellite box. I consume content more on tablets than I do on the big screen anymore.

Some would call this an addiction, but I call it the product of being in this era and growing up always having it. People that grew up without it know better on how to live without it. I've had a personal computer of my very own since I was probably 10, and I had a BlackBerry for years as a young teen before I got an iPhone. I've just always needed to be connected to the net and I prefer to do everything online these days.

I think the generational gap is a big one. And I'm not just talking baby boomers vs Gen Y. Even Gen X and Gen Y have a huge gap between them. I think Gen Z will end up more like Gen Y.

I'm sure one of these days when I turn 50+ I'll be a curmudgeon about something too. But being 30, I just cannot imagine it. To me you are missing out on so much. FF is right - these are the good old days! And why not take advantage of that by taking photos of memories and love the fact that you have a great camera with you everywhere now! No more carrying one and forgetting it, etc. If something cool happens, or a big life event, you can have photos so much easier now. Same for taking videos. No more big bulky camcorders and having to use VHS tapes. You can keep them private or have them seen by a ton of people by uploading them to Facebook or YouTube. People have so much more options for capturing life.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger