Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: The issue of Phone camera's and other issues in concert

Default Re: The issue of Phone camera's and other issues in concert

One of those articles states The Black Crowes banned photos. Not the case when I saw them in 2013. They (the band) even saw us taking pictures and never pointed or acted like they weren't comfortable with it.

Like it or not, times are changing and mobile devices (phones/tablets), social networking, texting is the new norm and while you don't have to do it or like it, you should respect it IMO....

As I said I'm not saying it's ok to film, take pictures non-stop, text non-stop, or use flash but the fact they are slapping people with warnings for having their phones out or taking the occasional pic is really stupid. And while I think holding up an iPad or tablet looks silly, it is slowly becoming the even newer way to take pics. And it's FAR more intrusive than your average 5 inch smartphone.

Gone are the days of holding up lighters for the encores, it is now smartphones. And I'm ok with that - and I'm one of the biggest stuck in the past classic rock fans you'll find. This is one of the only things were I think the Eagles could take some cues from newer bands as well as their contemporaries - welcome the new era of social media not just for concertgoers taking pictures but as a way to connect with fans and also share news.

I welcome new technology with open arms and I think to be that stuck in the past only makes them look bad.

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

The Beacon doesn't allow photos regardless of who the artist is:
    http://www.beacontheatre.com/faq.html
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Yeah, some venues are really hardcore - some will not even let you bring cameras in to the venue, much less take photos with them. I had to go back to the car with mine one time in 2003. I forget which venue.... maybe it was the one in Columbus... I went to so many Mac shows that year, lol. Indeed, I got harassed by security in Moline, IL at another Fleetwood Mac concert for taking photos thanks to vigorous policy enforcement by a venue. The Toyota Center in Houston won't let you bring cameras in. The list goes on and on.

The phones are more problematic because they have camera functionality, but banning them from venues is out of the question. They're too much a part of people's lives. Can you imagine a venue turning away everyoneone who came to the door with a cell phone? "Take that back to your car. No phones allowed." They'd be saying that to THOUSANDS of people. It would be a fiasco.

Venues banning cameras is nothing new. However, I think the difference is that what people begrudgingly accept as a corporate venue policy becomes harder to swallow when it's band policy. Logistically, it's the same; it's just different on an emotional level.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Agreed.

I just went to a concert at Highland Ballroom in the city. The artist Beth Hart was phenomenal but the picture and video taking was out of hand!! People were taking group shots in front of the stage as the artist was performing!! I'm glad there are some venues that ban it.

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

An article that quasi-explains one of the most annoying concert experiences... Free Bird.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/yelli...edium=referral
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

This is the first I've heard about Eagles concert security forcing you to put your phone away 30 minutes to an hour before showtime. The Eagles, or their individual band members, have done things to tick me off in the past, but this takes the cake. I agree with WF - they are on some kind of power trip to do this. What other reason is there?
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Prettymaid View Post
    This is the first I've heard about Eagles concert security forcing you to put your phone away 30 minutes to an hour before showtime. The Eagles, or their individual band members, have done things to tick me off in the past, but this takes the cake. I agree with WF - they are on some kind of power trip to do this. What other reason is there?
    My husband is of the opinion that when you buy a ticket to an Eagles concert you are entering into a contract whereby the venue becomes 'theirs' & they set the terms & conditions on the night of the show. This presumably includes the right to tell you to turn off your phone before showtime. I thought this was drawing a long bow but that is one way of looking at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    My husband is of the opinion that when you buy a ticket to an Eagles concert you are entering into a contract whereby the venue becomes 'theirs' & they set the terms & conditions on the night of the show. This presumably includes the right to tell you to turn off your phone before showtime. I thought this was drawing a long bow but that is one way of looking at it.
    My understanding is that it is not the venue, nor it's personnel, that is setting this 'term and condition', but rather the Eagles and their staff. The person who comes out to state the 'standing rule' is definitely with the band - not the venue. I've had the pleasure of meeting that guy.

ETA: FP, I just realized I misread your post. I understand what your husband is saying. Either way, I think it's bull
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

I've seen this happen at a lot of concerts, so I guess our band isn't alone in this. We'd all love to have pictures of them but then someone would go too far and boom, it's in a tabloid or somewhere else. Also I would image if there are flashes that it may interrupt their train of thought or music.