Thread: The issue of Phone camera's and other issues in concert

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default The issue of Phone camera's and other issues in concert

Hello,

I'm beginning this in an off-topic discussion area. After you read please move if you feel it belongs somewhere else.

So the Eagles don't like fans watching the show through their camera phones. I've seen people do this for an entire song. It's not for me and I can see their point.

I'm just now watching an Elton John concert on AXS TV. He was singing Saturday Night's Alright and he has a slew of audience members around his piano. I can see a little bit of the getting intimate with the audience but there were people standing right in front of him holding up their camera phone for the whole song. Watching it on TV it was fine because the broadcast cameras moved around so I could see him but if I was in the audience at that concert I'd be pissed.

Of course the Eagles don't go to that length and I'm glad they don't because holding up a camera can be distracting to someone behind you but in this case it was ridiculous for the audience who were staring at people standing right in front of Elton John.

Stuck on the Border Witchy Woman's Avatar

Default Re: The issue of Phone camera's and other issues in concert

I agree, it's annoying when people hold up their phones and try to take pictures all night. I don't have a problem with someone sneaking a few pics here and there. I understand wanting to commemorate the concert and preserve memories, and I do it myself. I am also mindful of those around me, and it's a shame those that are ignorant and rude necessitate such actions from the band.

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

The Eagles are certainly not the only group that cracks down on cameras, but they are in the minority. The way I look at it, the Eagles have always been a band who cares, really cares about their fans, and during a concert, those in the audience in particular. They work hard to put on a stellar performance every night. Then they see a few ruin the experience for others. At least in the front rows and on the sides near the stage, they have the best view of people having to bob and weave to see around the cameras or people standing, and they can see the expressions of irritation on the faces of those trying to see.

All that being said, it feels to me that the camera issue is more than blocking the view of others. I know for an usher in dim lighting, it's difficult to distinguish between those taking a picture and those taking video. I would like a few pictures at each concert for my own memories. The last two shows I went to, a person was allowed to take a few photos, but not a constant stream of them. I didn't because knowing how these guys feel about it, it didn't feel right. I guess because even at a show where cameras were allowed, when I held my phone at shoulder level to keep from blocking the view of those behind me, Glenn shook his head at me. It doesn't get any clearer than that.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Es, I watched that Elton John concert last night too and noticed that! I was thinking, I'm glad it was only for that one song, because they did surround him on the stage. You would have thought they wouldn't have been allowed to be in between him and the stage because no one in the audience on the floor could see him! You know everyone paid big bucks to go to that show in Vegas! I would have been upset! Great show, btw!

Anyways, I was shocked to also see the people on stage with their cameras out taking live photos and videos too! I wonder if these people were selected or were from the front row?

I do understand the Eagles side of it all, just don't really agree with it. But when you put it like VA did, I do. I guess there's two side to every story! Maybe even, as Don says, three!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

I can understand not wanting to have someone holding up a phone all night. And now they do it with iPads and tablets!!!!! Seriously.

But I do think pictures here and there should be allowed at all concerts. I'm fine with no videography and no filming or audio recording. But pictures are a great way to share with friends and keep for personal memories. I agree on no flash, that's fine...

But being scolded for just having your phone out in plain sight in your hands sitting down before the show even starts just pisses me off. I was scolded in St. Louis last year for just having my phone on and in my lap doing Facebook while the house lights were on and no band onstage. That's ridiculous.

There's a difference between making sure everyone has a good experience with no annoyances and just being overly controlling.

Needless to say, my phone got put on silent and stowed away in my jeans pocket for the rest of the evening - way before the band took the stage.

My dad was going to be a rebel and have his phone out and take pics anyway but I insisted that he didn't as he didn't realize how "funny" Eagles security was about it and if we got kicked out I'd be REALLY pissed off - at them AND him.

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

I agree, WF. If the guys aren't coming on stage until 8:10, I should be able to check the score of the hockey game until then. Or baseball game. If nothing else, it makes the time go by faster. The time between 7:30 and when they come out on stage seems to take a DECADE or two. Plus, I've not owned a watch since 2004, and the phone is my clock.

Speaking of issues, our guys are lucky to only have the few issues they have. Here's an article posted in Pittsburgh today about the recent Kenny Chesney concert at Heinz Field.

http://www.pittpunk.org/save-city-ban-concert/
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.