Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: The issue of Phone camera's and other issues in concert

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Default Re: The issue of Phone camera's and other issues in concert

I heard on the radio that phones are being restricted/ banned at some weddings here because couples are sick of people not being 'in the moment' while they take their vows and during speeches and other important parts of the ceremony. I don't think it's a total ban for the whole occasion. I would see it as being fair. Who wants their wedding all over social media as its happening?
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

I hear of more performers all the time asking fans not to use their phones. Some of the very young performers too!

Quote Originally Posted by Glennsallnighter View Post
    I heard on the radio that phones are being restricted/ banned at some weddings here because couples are sick of people not being 'in the moment' while they take their vows and during speeches and other important parts of the ceremony. I don't think it's a total ban for the whole occasion. I would see it as being fair. Who wants their wedding all over social media as its happening?
    Yeah I would never take pics at a wedding or any social function unless it was going to be something with either me alone in it (selfie), or family or close friends. Certainly not as a guest taking pictures of everyone! And I almost never post photos of anyone else unless they know about it ahead of time and I let them do the tagging in case they don't want it on their page.

Concerts though are different for me. I guess maybe because it's entertainment and I paid to be there. I want to share with others and not only have memories to keep but also network with people on social media, gain followers, and if they are a new or up and coming act, give them some free promotion and reviews. I don't do flash though, and while I personally never record video, I do watch everyone else's lol. I take probably 20 or so pictures at a single concert. I'll generally post a pic from my seat before the show even starts when I get there to show off the view (or lack thereof), and one during. I'll save the other 15+ for after the show to upload and edit them. I personally don't have a problem with videos of songs, but perhaps not full shows. I do think short clips are fine though I personally don't record them. And I never take pictures of the crowd, just the band, again to make sure I'm not posting a photo of someone that doesn't want to be seen on public pages like Instagram!! LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    I know I'm late on this, but what is even more disturbing about this Apple patent is that it's exactly the kind of "Big Brother" control that we all fear. Powerful lobbyists decide what they want, they pressure Apple, and Apple enforces their will. What's next?

Most police don't like you filming them. If Apple were to come under pressure from police groups, what's to stop them from patenting something that wouldn't allow you to film if a police scanner, easily detectable by the phone, was within a certain range? There are myriad examples of how this type of control could be abused easily in even more serious ways.

It's possible Android will follow suit... or it's possible Apple's monopoly, already diminishing, will fall further. That would be nice, actually! It's already happening elsewhere. Their attempts to prevent customers from playing music bought at the iTunes store on non-Apple devices caused me - and many others - to start purchasing my music from Amazon.

Also, how would it differentiate between those performers who are OK with recording and those who are not? Venue policies always say "no recording" but leave room for artists to override it. Many struggling artists WANT the exposure. I guess they're just screwed if this goes forward; their needs will be overridden by the powerful and wealthy artists who no longer need promotion.

Finally, while it will certainly decrease instances at least in the short term, Austin is right. There are always workarounds for the determined, and rogue programmers who will be happy to develop apps which "fool" the device.
    Exactly.

This isn't about concert photo taking but it's about smartphones.

Now I LOVE Stevie and I respect her and I wouldn't use it during lunch, especially with Stevie, but I disagree with her thoughts on phones in general.

http://societyofrock.com/what-stevie...t=stevie+nicks

I love Stevie - as most know lol - but she is ridiculously old school techno-phobic. If it was introduced after she turned 40 in 1987, it's destroying society!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    I love Stevie - as most know lol - but she is ridiculously old school techno-phobic. If it was introduced after she turned 40 in 1987, it's destroying society!
    Yup. Still love her though. But yeah, I noticed that. lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRnmlSKAQIw&t=1s

A Dose of Buckley's take on cellphones at concerts. He's for the people w/ cellphones to some extent.

Viewer discretion is advised, since he swears a lot and can be offensive. "Angry Humour from an Angry Man" and "a Canadian rant comedian and a nihilist" are things that he has used to describe himself. He actually works in radio as a host, so he's familiar with one of the ways musicians get exposure/make a little money.

Slash (of GnR fame) and Nikki Sixx (of Motley Crue fame) are ok with phones. I'm thankful they are out there talking about it.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/slash...s-at-concerts/
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Agreed. The only thing that bugs me is when people put the phone ABOVE their heads and it blocks my view!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten