Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: The issue of Phone camera's and other issues in concert

Default Re: The issue of Phone camera's and other issues in concert

Quote Originally Posted by MaryCalifornia View Post
    Thanks TLR!!

Am I the only one who thinks this is funny?
    MC you are not alone in thinking these are funny! I don't even tweet and I think it's hilarious, as well as some of the remarks following the tweets of the drawings! I think someone said that one of the drawings had them all without any hair, and well Don does have some hair you know!

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

They also played in various 02 arenas! O2 is also a phone company.

Mixed feelings about the whole issue. As a semi pro photographer, I do regret not having the opportunity to take good clear pics of all of the guys performing, and for the 5 European shows I've been right there at the front. I'd love to have a pictorial record of my memories too.

However I DO see how constantly taking pics can take away from the enjoyment of both myself and other fans. And it is just not fair to constantly block viewers behind you. Problem is, it's all or nothing. Either you will take loads of pics or no pics. If people took just say 5 it would not be as big an intrusion on others. But to have say 15,000 people snapping all night has to be distracting for that band and the fans. Then there's the effect of the flash.

However it is ridiculous to ban the use of phones before the show or during the interval. People do have lives to lead. Families get in touch, and the odd crisis DOES happen. people expect you to be contactable now. One guy I saw in Dublin had 2 strikes before the show even began!!
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Border Troubadour

That's odd, I never encountered any outright ban on phones at the O2 outwith the times the guys were on stage.

Stuck on the Border Tiffanny Twisted's Avatar

there was an article in aarp magazine about "thinking that snapping a view will preserve the moment". It was very interesting

yes we all like to have a "snapshot" of the guys when we go to a concert but living in the moment has its benefits.

I find people who hold up their I pads to take pictures the most annoying.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Quote Originally Posted by thelastresort View Post

MC, it's

I think they've taken it too far. Is there any other band in any genre out there that does this?
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Border Desperado SoaringRockyMountainWay's Avatar

I saw the Eagles in Milwaukee and Auburn Hills and we were allowed to take pictures but not video. I took a couple pictures at the beginning of both concerts. In Milwaukee my uncle got busted for taking a video of the beginning of Lyin' Eyes and security wouldn't let him take his phone out the rest of the night. Why did they allow pictures at the beginning of the tour but not at the recent dates?
    People talking about us they got nothing else to do. When it all comes down we will still come through in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    I think they've taken it too far. Is there any other band in any genre out there that does this?
    IMO they took it too far a long while ago. It's only getting more controlling. While it didn't ruin my show it certainly put me in a bad mood when I was harped on for checking Facebook before the show started.

I don't know of any other band who is this controlling of their fans. New bands and other classic bands encourage photo taking and social media. The guys need to get with the times. Pictures, texting, facebooking, etc is the "in" thing and they are coming off as egotistic power-hungry fuddy duddys by having the policies that they do. Just like DH and his stance on internet and social media. Don't get me started.

I've been to several venues that enforce the standard back-of-the-ticket rule of no cameras or video, but no other artists that I've seen make such a big to-do over it (admittedly, my experiences are limited to Fleetwood Mac, Stevie Nicks, and Lindsey Buckingham besides Eagles shows lol, though I have seen Bonnie Raitt, Marc Cohn, and a few others who've never said a thing. Chris Isaak actually encouraged it at the show I went to, totally mugging for the cameras).

I did hear that Prince is worse about it. In the past, he's gone so far as to threaten to sue fans who posted photos and videos of him that they'd taken at concerts.

What really blows my mind is when they tell you to put away your phone an hour before the show starts. The first time that happened to me was the LA Forum, and I thought it was a mistake - overzealous security. I told the guy, "I understand that it's rude to text during the show and I won't, but it's still 45 minutes before showtime." He was insistent. When I was told the same thing in New Orleans, I was flabbergasted. That is just way over the top. If the Eagles want to get a jump start on eliminating the phones so the guards don't have to tell people to put them away during the first song, I understand that - but it would be sufficient to have them start telling people to put away phones 15 minutes before showtime, not a freaking HOUR.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Some articles I found on the discussion:

This is about the idea in general:
    http://www.popphoto.com/how-to/2013/...just-misguided

This article has some artists who have banned pictures:
    http://www.digitaltrends.com/photogr...do-it-for-you/

This is a list of annoying concert behavior published by The Rolling Stone. Guess what's #1?
    http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...viors-20130114

Here's one from CNN:
    http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/26/tech/s...oncert-phones/

This venue says that cameras are allowed, but some artists do not allow cameras. They don't list who, just that it happens. As a side note and completely off topic, this venue is hosting a Buffet concert and you can win tickets on SiriusXM:
    http://www.jonesbeach.com/index.php?...d=66&Itemid=53

From The Wall Street Journal(from 2010):
    http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/...06281834570988

From a random venue, trying to make a point:
    http://feitheatres.com/somerville-theatre/events/

That's from three pages of search results, there were a lot more pages than this...

ETA: Another about Prince:
    http://chicagoist.com/2013/07/01/whe...s_prince_m.php
    Last edited by VAisForEagleLovers; 06-25-2014 at 08:43 PM.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

I forgot to mention that the Seger concert I went to in 2011 did not allow cameras or pictures of any type and security was very zealous in enforcing it. Amazingly, I had people around me complaining and we were so far back on the floor, we couldn't see him. I have no idea what they thought they'd get a picture of.

The Seger concert last year allowed pictures, and I've mentioned before that even being three rows from the stage, I couldn't see the man when he was directly in front of me, sitting at the piano. Well, I could see him through the tiny screens of the phones of the woman in front of me and the one in front of her.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.