Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: The issue of Phone camera's and other issues in concert

Default Re: The issue of Phone camera's and other issues in concert

Quote Originally Posted by MaryCalifornia View Post
    OK, I do not understand the tablet thing!!! Why on earth would someone leave the house for any event with a tablet under their arm or in their bag, with the intention of using it to record video??!! I have to think that these people also have phones that record and require only one hand to hold up...I seriously don't get it! They look so dorky!!! Next we'll see someone with a desktop and a full-size monitor camera holding up the entire contraption!!
    Now this I agree with....

Pocket cams and phones are fine though IMO.

But yes, holding up an iPad (especially the bigger model) looks silly and can block view.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Well, you can call me an old fuddy-duddy if you wish, but like I’ve said before, as a very short person, I very much appreciate being able to see most of the concert even if I’m not right up front. However, I also like to get up and dance around, especially to the rockin’ songs. Austin, you mentioned in another thread recently that you felt bad for other folks that have to sit behind you at concerts so you have the opposite problem than I do. But, the thing is we try to be respectful and considerate of others around us. And I agree with you - we both paid for our tickets so we both have a right the see the show. I have had a couple of bad experiences, even when I bought VIP tickets – I’ve had the bad luck of the draw and had to stand behind someone Austin’s size and couldn’t hardly see a thing the entire night from my 4th row VIP seat in Charlottesville. Then, last year at MSG, Henley Honey and I had 3rd row center VIPs, and we were seated behind another huge guy (or dickhead as HH aptly named him) who rudely held his cell phone up over his head almost the entire show, again totally blocking my view even when we were seated. Sadly, in both cases, those guys didn’t really care about anyone other than themselves.

Therefore, I think the way the band is doing things is a good compromise. But as Soda said, I do have a problem if security uses Gestapo tactics and enforcement becomes more of a distraction than the cell phones or cameras themselves. I also prefer the band to leave it to the security staff to handle things and not admonish the audience themselves. That tends to make fans feel uncomfortable.

As has been mentioned in other threads, the policies were relaxed at the most recent shows that I attended in New York and Boston. From where I was sitting, it seemed that only the most egregious offenders were reprimanded. I do have one last complaint though. In Boston, the girl sitting next to me was on her cell phone during the entire show. I have no idea what she was doing, but she wasn’t even taking pictures or videoing the show. Not that it’s really any of my business, but I thought it was very disrespectful and extremely annoying. There are thousands of real fans that would have given anything to be in her awesome seat to actually watch the concert. Then, at the end of the show, she actually said, “Wow – that was a great show!” I had to really bite my tongue to keep from saying “Really – and how would you know?” I mean where are people’s manners these days … I’m all for multi-tasking, but some things deserve your undivided attention.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Dreamer - I definitely do feel bad for others behind me....I sit down most of the show and only stand for my favorite or top 2 favorites and only for a short while at that. I do feel I have a right to be there, but I try to be as accommodating as possible. I definitely don't like when people are inconsiderate and I feel those big @ssholes out there give the rest of us big and tall guys a bad name and people get bent out of shape when they see us. I think I've heard enough jokes about "How's the weather up there" for being so tall, for a lifetime and a half. And plenty of other jokes about my weight....just don't care at this point. I do what I can, and I'll leave it at that.
    Last edited by WalshFan88; 09-29-2014 at 06:21 AM.

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Austin, if all people who attended concerts were even half that considerate, there wouldn't be any of the problems referenced above. Or, at least, not as many at Eagles' concerts. The guys still don't like pictures from the front rows and it's more than being inconsiderate of those behind them. It amazes me to sit there in the audience and listen to people. Those who really want to take pictures and yet respect the band's wishes and those who feel they can do whatever they want. I have to say, those in the latter category tend to also be the ones who made heavy use of the bar before being seated, so they are more likely to be obnoxious to security when told to stop.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Peter Frampton and Cheap Trick have announced a tour, and in this article, you can read Frampton's thoughts on taking pictures and video during a concert.

At the Seger concert, there were people in the next section over on the floor that had brought tablets to take video with. The people behind them weren't very happy.
    VK

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Whatever about a small camera or a phone I think a tablet is very unfair. It would have to infringe on other peoples viewing in a negative way
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Stuck on the Border

The Guardian weighs in on the Eagles policy:

http://www.theguardian.com/music/201...mment-48033867

For me, I'm going from taking 200 photos in 2010 to being able to take precisely none.

At one of the Atlanta concerts I took nearly that many. Of course, only about 50 actually turned out well, but while I would like a few snapshots from each concert I go to so that I have a memory keepsake, I found that actually sitting and watching the concert and not worrying about the camera was rather liberating. I didn't take any on the HOTE tour even before the ban started in LA of 2014, because I'd gotten the distinct impression from both Glenn and Don that they did not like photos being taken. A year ago (nearly exactly), they lightened up a bit towards the end of the tour leg, so at both Raleigh and Cincinnati they allowed people to take 'a few' photos, but not a lot. I still didn't take any, because I knew they preferred to not have them taken. I have to say, when they wear the same clothes over and over, having photos from each concert would kind of lose something anyway.
    VK

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by VAisForEagleLovers View Post
    At one of the Atlanta concerts I took nearly that many. Of course, only about 50 actually turned out well, but while I would like a few snapshots from each concert I go to so that I have a memory keepsake, I found that actually sitting and watching the concert and not worrying about the camera was rather liberating. I didn't take any on the HOTE tour even before the ban started in LA of 2014, because I'd gotten the distinct impression from both Glenn and Don that they did not like photos being taken. A year ago (nearly exactly), they lightened up a bit towards the end of the tour leg, so at both Raleigh and Cincinnati they allowed people to take 'a few' photos, but not a lot. I still didn't take any, because I knew they preferred to not have them taken. I have to say, when they wear the same clothes over and over, having photos from each concert would kind of lose something anyway.
    I agree about their wardrobe. It used to be that when you took photos you could remember each night for specific reasons. That is no longer the case. I'm glad I got the photos in 2010 & also in 2013 & I'm resigned to my fate.

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

It was very refreshing at both Ultimate Eagles concerts and also Spandau Ballet on Tuesday night to be able to snap away to my hearts content, although I did keep aware not to annoy others. In fact I asked Danny (Don, lol) from the Ultimate Eagles did they mind us taking pictures of them performing and I quote 'No, thats another way that we are different.... we also have to drag our own guitars around'
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP