Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Your favourite Eagles album... by artwork

Border Troubadour

Default Your favourite Eagles album... by artwork

Thought this would be an interesting take on a relatively well-done topic. Basically, what would you rank the guys's albums if your sole basis of judgement was the graphology / artwork / image of them. Obviously focusing on the seven studio offerings primarily, but if you want to include compilations or live albums then go for it. Mine (best first):

Eagles - I think this for me epitomises the Eagles's music - the soaring eagle, the vast empty sky, and inside the classic image of them all sat around the fire in the desert high as a kite. Shame the original release was spoiled by gluing it down.
    One of These Nights - Can't explain why I like it so much but it's quite creative I think. Simple but unmistakably Eagles.
    On the Border - I want a T-shirt with this on! It strikes me as kind of Aborigine / Native American -like and again is very simple.
    Desperado - The front cover ain't the best but I love the image on the back of the producers and staff being the superior and victorious lawmen whilst the Eagles, J.D. Souther and Jackson Browne are the defeated and powerless rebels. A very clever metaphor for the industry and of course the most famous image of the album's centrepiece, the Dalton Gang.
    Hotel California - It's a bit obvious but then again I guess it really had to be what it was. It has of course become a worldwide famous image though, so I can't complain really.
    The Long Run - Plain, but I think it reflects well what the guys were going through being the scenes at the time: the exhaustion, boredom and in a sense desperation of it all.
    LROOE - Doesn't do anything for me at all. At least punctuate the desert with something.

Default Re: Your favourite Eagles album... by artwork

Great topic. I'm a BIG fan of album art - that's one of the many reasons I love vinyl LPs so much.

Eagles - Very cool cover and I love the Joshua Tree story and the whole image.
    Desperado - It personally doesn't do much for me as I'm not into the Western thing so much.
    On The Border - I like how simple yet recognizable it is. Sometimes less is more - this is a great example.
    One Of These Nights - I like the dark cover and the picture on the front. It's a bit different and I like that.
    Hotel California - This one is probably my favorite, with On The Border being my second favorite. I love that California image and the trees and all of that. I've always wanted to visit LA and I associate that cover with California.
    The Long Run - Also simplistic like On The Border, but a bit TOO plain for me. Just not a big fan.
    Long Road Out Of Eden - I don't dig the desert theme. Not really much else to say.

For me On The Border is my favorite, have a t-shirt with it that I only handwash. I love OOTN also going to find a t-shirt with that one too. All the artwork on all their albums is precious to me. I have all the albums and I hold them as sacred items!

Stuck on the Border

In order of preference:

Hotel California
    On The Border
    Desperado
    One Of These Nights
    Long Road Out Of Eden
    The Long Run (I can't rank it last because of the gatefold)
    Eagles

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Does anyone have pics of the backs and gatefolds (if there are any) on these that you could post? I'd love to look at them before I list my preferences and I'm at work. Don't usually have time to get on here after I get home. Pretty please? I understand if no one has the time!

ETA: I remember what the fronts look like, but need to refresh my memory on the rest!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border

Soda has them also on her site.

I'll go with "On the Border". It's the one that's most distinctive on t-shirts. Unfortunately, I didn't get the posters - perhaps they were US-only.
    I also like Desperado because it shows the band dressed to fit the theme.

Border Troubadour

I still maintain the Eagles' album art was inspired by Georgia O'Keeffe's stark imagery

Especially her Sante Fe period

Last edited by DivineDon; 06-25-2014 at 05:56 AM.
    ...Well it sure makes you wonder the things that some people will say. They can see black and white but they don't seem to notice the grey...

It's funny you should start this topic! I was just thinking how I didn't like any of the posters that came with the albums enough to frame and hang them, and what a pity that was.

I guess One of These Nights has the coolest use of color and imagery. I'll go with that one.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Border Troubadour prayfordaylight's Avatar

I have this shirt with a modified version of the OOTN skull (you may find them cheaper/internationally on ebay): http://www.rockabilia.com/eagles-tour-t-shirt.html

OOTN is also my favorite cover by far. I grew up in a house with a lot of southwest decor and always had an affinity for the skulls.
    -Ali

You can see the stars and still not see the light.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

One of These Nights gets my vote as best too! I don't know, it's just cool!

2. Desperado is next. Love those cowboys!
    3. Hotel California-iconic
    4. On the Border
    5. Eagles
    6. Long Road Out of Eden
    7. The Long Run-very, very boring! I remember being disappointed with the cover.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten