Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taking up bass guitar

Border Troubadour

Default Taking up bass guitar

Hi all

Basically I have two months off so summer so I'm trying my best not to waste it away doing stuff like listening to the Eagles 24/7 (), and as such I'm planning to take up playing bass, which I've known I've wanted to do for about six months or more. I was just wondering if anyone else on here does or did and would be willing to answers any questions I have?

Cheers

Default Re: Taking up bass guitar

Hi TLR,

While I hardly consider sitting listening to the Eagles all summer a waste (), I'm glad to hear your interest in bass guitar.

My main instrument is 6 string electric, but I do have a bass and play bass.

I'd love to answer what I can about bass and perhaps link you to people who know more than I on the subject, and other websites.

I learned to play guitar myself, I never cared for school, so I wasn't about to put myself through another form of it! I started playing the year after high school so I got a late start. I actually took lessons when I was younger but blew it off. It took something else to get me to play, and I did so by myself with the help of the internet and slowing down songs and learning them.

While it's easier for guitarists to pick up bass because some of the notes are the same than it is to start from scratch, bass is far from a simple instrument and is a crucial aspect to music and is very respectable from my point of view. While a lot of people might play a bass, there is a difference between that and really playing bass being a great rhythm section. Very good to hear of someone interested in it!

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

Someone else on here plays bass - is it Thirsty & Hot? Or TJH? One of them has the instrument and plays it.

It's Grey Sadler! Does she still come around?
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

Thank you, PM! I don't know why I came up with T&H, is GS in NYC?

Quote Originally Posted by MaryCalifornia View Post
    Thank you, PM! I don't know why I came up with T&H, is GS in NYC?
    Nope, she's in TN
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Quote Originally Posted by MaryCalifornia View Post
    Someone else on here plays bass - is it Thirsty & Hot? Or TJH? One of them has the instrument and plays it.
    Haha - I wish it was me

Border Troubadour

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    Hi TLR,

While I hardly consider sitting listening to the Eagles all summer a waste (), I'm glad to hear your interest in bass guitar.

My main instrument is 6 string electric, but I do have a bass and play bass.

I'd love to answer what I can about bass and perhaps link you to people who know more than I on the subject, and other websites.

I learned to play guitar myself, I never cared for school, so I wasn't about to put myself through another form of it! I started playing the year after high school so I got a late start. I actually took lessons when I was younger but blew it off. It took something else to get me to play, and I did so by myself with the help of the internet and slowing down songs and learning them.

While it's easier for guitarists to pick up bass because some of the notes are the same than it is to start from scratch, bass is far from a simple instrument and is a crucial aspect to music and is very respectable from my point of view. While a lot of people might play a bass, there is a difference between that and really playing bass being a great rhythm section. Very good to hear of someone interested in it!
    It isn't a waste I'd agree, but it was I spend the other ten months of the year doing!

I went for a bit of a mooch around a couple of local towns's music shops and just kinda got a feel for them. Found a damn sexy black Yamaha for £160 but I thought best not buy one that expensive already

I was primarily wondering where you would start out re: equipment and how much you'd say to spend when there's no guarantee I'll keep on at it as anything more than a personal hobby. I do want to teach myself / look up on the internet for videos etc, I hated being personally tutored when I did guitar at secondary school. Also wondered if you could recommend someone / a band who have decent bass songs for starters? One of the things I didn't like doing guitar was plodding along doing Christmas carols and that kind of carry on.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by thelastresort View Post
    I was primarily wondering where you would start out re: equipment and how much you'd say to spend when there's no guarantee I'll keep on at it as anything more than a personal hobby. I do want to teach myself / look up on the internet for videos etc, I hated being personally tutored when I did guitar at secondary school.

My advice to anyone picking up any kind of guitar (electric, acoustic, or bass) is that it stays in tune decently well and is comfortable in your hands. Otherwise it will be a constant struggle and it will make you NOT want to play. Every guitar neck is a little bit different, especially when comparing different models and brands. I prefer thin necks even though I have huge hands. But over the years I've learned to adjust to new necks quickly on new guitars.

Also wondered if you could recommend someone / a band who have decent bass songs for starters? One of the things I didn't like doing guitar was plodding along doing Christmas carols and that kind of carry on.

That's a tougher question as I'm not a bass guru. I mean when I think of simple bass lines I think of stuff like "Sunshine Of Your Love", which is a bit complex. I'm sure you could find some stuff on YouTube.

Stuck on the Border Grey Sadler's Avatar

I thought I felt my ears burning!!

Well...my first piece of advice is to find a teacher and practice daily (unfortunately, the practice sessions are the thorn in my side...trying to balance things out when school starts so that I'm actually awake long enough to practice)...I'm taking classes at a local music school once a week, and my teacher has been pretty patient with me--he's working on scales and intervals with me as well as some popular classics (including songs by our boys!!)

As far as equipment, I found a Peavey Fury at a garage sale 2 years ago for $150 USD, then picked up a 30 watt practice amp for around $100...I think I've put just enough money into the gear to not feel bad if I wasn't able to continue. If you can't swing an amp yet, there's a little device for iPhones called an iRig that will run from your guitar and play through headphones or speakers (FYI you'll have to buy the additional bass amp for the app)...whatever you decide, good luck TLR!!