Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
Hi TLR,

While I hardly consider sitting listening to the Eagles all summer a waste (), I'm glad to hear your interest in bass guitar.

My main instrument is 6 string electric, but I do have a bass and play bass.

I'd love to answer what I can about bass and perhaps link you to people who know more than I on the subject, and other websites.

I learned to play guitar myself, I never cared for school, so I wasn't about to put myself through another form of it! I started playing the year after high school so I got a late start. I actually took lessons when I was younger but blew it off. It took something else to get me to play, and I did so by myself with the help of the internet and slowing down songs and learning them.

While it's easier for guitarists to pick up bass because some of the notes are the same than it is to start from scratch, bass is far from a simple instrument and is a crucial aspect to music and is very respectable from my point of view. While a lot of people might play a bass, there is a difference between that and really playing bass being a great rhythm section. Very good to hear of someone interested in it!
It isn't a waste I'd agree, but it was I spend the other ten months of the year doing!

I went for a bit of a mooch around a couple of local towns's music shops and just kinda got a feel for them. Found a damn sexy black Yamaha for £160 but I thought best not buy one that expensive already

I was primarily wondering where you would start out re: equipment and how much you'd say to spend when there's no guarantee I'll keep on at it as anything more than a personal hobby. I do want to teach myself / look up on the internet for videos etc, I hated being personally tutored when I did guitar at secondary school. Also wondered if you could recommend someone / a band who have decent bass songs for starters? One of the things I didn't like doing guitar was plodding along doing Christmas carols and that kind of carry on.

Cheers