Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: RIP Robin Williams

Stuck on the Border Tiffanny Twisted's Avatar

Default Re: RIP Robin Williams

Its very sad to me that this man could take his own life .
    Rip

Stuck on the Border Thirsty&Hot's Avatar

I am devastated by the loss of Robin Williams It's been an emotional week for me. I grew up loving him.
    I just can't get over how such a darling, bright shining light like Robin, beloved by so many and his family, could end it all.
    I guess with his depression, he had to offset the highest highs with the lowest lows.
    depression deeply affects me on a personal level. I myself have struggled with it, though I've been mostly okay in recent years. My mom on the other hand...for her it's an ongoing battle that scares me. Some days are better than others. Today was not so good

depression sucks.

I feel for his family. my heart goes out to them.
    we'll miss you Robin. you are forever loved
    If I can't have it all, just a taste will do...

For whatever reason, I felt more shaken over this than I normally do with celebrity passings and it's made me do a lot of thinking.

It goes to show that depression is very real and while on the outside it can seem like you have everything in the world going for you or that you have everything you could ever want or be extremely successful to others, but on the inside be very dark and gloomy with no hope or faith. People sometimes forget that. It's nothing to be ashamed of and I wish there was more recognition and awareness about it. It's no different than having diabetes. It's a treatable condition and if more people would reach out I think we could help a lot more people.

Another thing that irritates me is the stigma towards depression and people not taking it seriously. I think that's why a lot of people are afraid to ask for help and even when they do, their subtle cries for help go unnoticed. Reach out to those who you feel may need it. Even a simple uplifting message saying you are thinking of them can mean the world. And to just let them talk, even without giving advice can be one of the best things for someone who needs someone to talk to. Just because someone is smiling on the outside doesn't mean they aren't crying on the inside. Don't judge them. If you feel someone is in danger, contact the appropriate people or authorities. Don't blow it off.

As someone who's struggled with depression, anxiety, and OCD disorders for many years I have to say that this really saddened me. Robin wasn't my favorite actor yet I enjoyed a good number of his movies and certainly thought he was a funny kind person. And I feel comfortable in saying that I myself have been hospitalized not once but twice for suicidal thoughts as a late adolescent and I hate to think what would have happened either time if I hadn't made a cry for help that did get noticed. Luckily music came into my life and the problems went away and I was able to recover from the severe depression, but I still fight sadness every day. It's a lifelong battle, and is something that should be closely watched.

There is no shame in admitting you need help, there is no shame on being on medication or receiving therapy or going to the hospital, and there is nothing wrong with YOU as a person. If anyone turns their nose up at you for struggling, then they need to do some searching in their own heart to find out what has made them so heartless. The people that mind don't matter, and those who matter won't mind.

I saw on the news today that he was in the early stage of Parkinson's and perhaps that contributed to his depression. It makes me sad to think that he felt so helpless both with his depression and his other conditions.

Again, I didn't know Robin and wasn't even a huge follower of him as some, but this hit close to home with something I can relate to.

RIP Robin.
    Last edited by WalshFan88; 08-15-2014 at 12:26 AM.

Stuck on the Border Thirsty&Hot's Avatar

couldn't have said it better, Austin! Thanks! That brought tears down my cheeks.
    If I can't have it all, just a taste will do...

Out on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    For whatever reason, I felt more shaken over this than I normally do with celebrity passings and it's made me do a lot of thinking.

It goes to show that depression is very real and while on the outside it can seem like you have everything in the world going for you or that you have everything you could ever want or be extremely successful to others, but on the inside be very dark and gloomy with no hope or faith. People sometimes forget that. It's nothing to be ashamed of and I wish there was more recognition and awareness about it. It's no different than having diabetes. It's a treatable condition and if more people would reach out I think we could help a lot more people.

Another thing that irritates me is the stigma towards depression and people not taking it seriously. I think that's why a lot of people are afraid to ask for help and even when they do, their subtle cries for help go unnoticed. Reach out to those who you feel may need it. Even a simple uplifting message saying you are thinking of them can mean the world. And to just let them talk, even without giving advice can be one of the best things for someone who needs someone to talk to. Just because someone is smiling on the outside doesn't mean they aren't crying on the inside. Don't judge them. If you feel someone is in danger, contact the appropriate people or authorities. Don't blow it off.

As someone who's struggled with depression, anxiety, and OCD disorders for many years I have to say that this really saddened me. Robin wasn't my favorite actor yet I enjoyed a good number of his movies and certainly thought he was a funny kind person. And I feel comfortable in saying that I myself have been hospitalized not once but twice for suicidal thoughts as a late adolescent and I hate to think what would have happened either time if I hadn't made a cry for help that did get noticed. Luckily music came into my life and the problems went away and I was able to recover from the severe depression, but I still fight sadness every day. It's a lifelong battle, and is something that should be closely watched.

There is no shame in admitting you need help, there is no shame on being on medication or receiving therapy or going to the hospital, and there is nothing wrong with YOU as a person. If anyone turns their nose up at you for struggling, then they need to do some searching in their own heart to find out what has made them so heartless. The people that mind don't matter, and those who matter won't mind.

I saw on the news today that he was in the early stage of Parkinson's and perhaps that contributed to his depression. It makes me sad to think that he felt so helpless both with his depression and his other conditions.

Again, I didn't know Robin and wasn't even a huge follower of him as some, but this hit close to home with something I can relate to.

RIP Robin.
    Amen

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post

RIP Robin.
    Well stated Austin, I agree if you don't have any physical signs people do not believe you are sick!! RIP Robin

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

Here is a pic of Timothy (and Don) next to Robin Williams from the first Bridge Concert

Thanks - I'd never seen that before!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten