Thread: Celebration of "The Very Best of Don Henley"

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Celebration of "The Very Best of Don Henley"

Well it's not the anniversary of this CD/DVD set release, but I was searching for this thread the other day, and realized that we didn't have one for it. Not sure how that happened. We talked a lot this set at the time it was released in another thread, but I thought it would be a good idea to have this one as we do for most other albums. And just an FYI - the release date was 6/16/09.

Anyway, I'd like to hear some of your thoughts about the CD and DVD. To me, the CD is a repeat of Actual Miles for the most part, but the DVD alone was worth the price of the set. I love having the high quality music videos even though they omitted some good ones, most notably the awesome The End of the Innocence. I'm really glad that the bonus soundtrack audios were included. However, for the life of me, I can't figure out why Come Rain or Come Shine wasn't included. I like all of the songs, but like CRorCS better than some of the ones that were included. Here's the order in which I like the tracks ...

1. Love Rules
    2. Sit Down, You're Rockin' The Boat
    3. Who Own This Place?
    4. Through Your Hands

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Default Re: Celebration of "The Very Best of Don Henley"

The DVD was fantastic, although it took effort to get the music onto my iPod. It was lame that they didn't just put those in regular audio format.

"Love Rules" is very sweet and innocent; it's amazing that Don, who is known for delivering more cynical vocals, is able to sell this song... but he does.

"Sit Down You're Rockin' the Boat" is catchy, although a bit theologically confusing, lol.

"Who Owns This Place" sounds like a better version of "Shangri-La" (which isn't saying much). The most memorable part of that for me is that it's the first instance of Don using the phrase "Time passes, things change" that we now know is from Souther, and which has achieved new prominence thanks to HotE documentary (as is mentioned in another thread).

"Through Your Hands" was the song on this compilation that I was most interested in; it was the most obscure of the bunch, arguably, and certainly the one I was least familiar with. Interestingly, it also turned out to be my favorite BY FAR. I LOVE it. For those who don't have this or haven't heard it, I strongly urge you to purchase it. Intelligent lyrics, lovely melody, impassioned vocals... terrific.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Happy 7th Birthday to The Very Best Of Don Henley.

I need to buy it this CD just because of the bonus track and DVD. I don't have Don's neither one of Don's greatest hits album. Only Building The Perfect, The End Of The Innocence, Inside Job and Cass County. I do need to get I Can't Stand Still.

Happy 11th Birthday to the Very Best Of Don Henley CD/DVD. I need to get this since he has videos and extra songs that you can't find anywhere else unless you have the soundtrack(which might be out of print).

Brothers for life. RIP Glenn

I'm not sure I believe in fate, but I know that crossing paths with Glenn Lewis Frey in 1970 changed my life forever, and it eventually had an impact on the lives of millions of other people all over the planet. It will be very strange going forward in a world without him in it. But, I will be grateful, every day, that he was in my life. Rest in peace, my brother. You did what you set out to do, and then some." -Don Henley

I rented the cd from the library yesterday, and honestly did not know there was a companion DVD. The songs that I knew were awesome, as always. "Heart of the matter" is in my Top 5 favorite songs list, and "New York Minute" makes me tear up when I hear it because it makes me think of Glenn. The songs I didn't know (not enough love, I will not go quietly) were alright. "Everybody knows" was a tad bit repetitive, but still catchy. "For my wedding" and "Everything is different" were very pretty. "Taking you home" was beautiful, and sounded oddly familiar to me. I found out the song was used in an episode of ER, so that's probably why it sounded so familiar. So many great songs on this album. Now I want the DVD.