Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Busy Being Fabulous

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Re: Busy Being Fabulous

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    He just played it live once that I know of, at a solo concert in Niagara Falls a few years ago. It was amazing!
    Actually, he played I Dreamed There Was No War two consecutive nights in Niagara Falls. And it was indeed amazing - it almost brought me to tears and I don't cry easily.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Oops. My memory sucks.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Border Troubadour

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    It's kinda interesting when the guys swap instruments but not so good when outsiders are brought in.
    Indeed, I love how back in the 70s you got the likes of Don Felder playing organ on The Long Run (since someone had to); Joe playing keyboard on New Kid in Town live *, presumably so Glenn could concentrate on the vocals; and Midnight Flyer where for the OOTN tour you had Joe playing the country-like fast, flat acoustic guitar which I've never seen him do before or since. Nowadays it's debatable whether or not their drummer even play drums or their lead guitarist ever plays guitar on some of their material!

* - I'm aware he also did it in the studio recording

Stuck on the Border

[quote=thelastresort;303867]Indeed, I love how back in the 70s you got the likes of Don Felder playing organ on The Long Run (since someone had to); Joe playing keyboard on New Kid in Town live *, presumably so Glenn could concentrate on the vocals; and Midnight Flyer where for the OOTN tour you had Joe playing the country-like fast, flat acoustic guitar which I've never seen him do before or since. Nowadays it's debatable whether or not their drummer even play drums or their lead guitarist ever plays guitar on some of their material!

* - I'm aware he also did it in the studio recording[/quote]

Yes. I thought Glenn played acoustic guitar on the studio version of NKIT, not keyboards.

Border Troubadour

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post

Yes. I thought Glenn played acoustic guitar on the studio version of NKIT, not keyboards.
    I should clarify, I did mean Joe played keyboards on the studio version and Glenn rhythm guitar, as happened live back in the Seventies. Apologies for any confusion!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    Actually, he played I Dreamed There Was No War two consecutive nights in Niagara Falls. And it was indeed amazing - it almost brought me to tears and I don't cry easily.
    I reckon it's pretty difficult to make such a short instrumental, significant. Did Glenn introduce it? Was it longer than on the record? What did he play before and after it? He didn't have an orchestral accompaniment did he?

Border Troubadour

I reckon it's pretty difficult to make such a short instrumental, significant. Did Glenn introduce it? Was it longer than on the record? What did he play before and after it? He didn't have an orchestral accompaniment did he?
    Oddly enough there's a longer, slightly altered version of IDTWNW on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3ViFMC3cB8

I'm guessing it's just someone's own take on it, but I wonder if there was ever any intention to make it longer on the album or similar.

Stuck on the Border

This is the topic about those shows:

https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/foru...read.php?t=372

He moved from that to talking more about the new album, specifically Don’s song Long Road Out of Eden. He said it was about ten minutes long and very “ponderous.” He stated that it “covered everything from Julius Caesar to Bush – I’m not joking – Don has really outdone himself this time” and that he wanted to write a short instrumental to “allow the mind to rest afterwards.” That, of course, was I Dreamed There Was No War. He played it on a gold guitar that I don’t remember seeing before (but then again I have a bad memory for such things). He pretty much played it all by himself, with very subtle backing. It was so gorgeous, and his face was very expressive as he played it. It was obviously not just another instrumental track to him; he really was “talking” through the guitar. We loved it.

It doesn't sound like it was longer from this description.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Thanks for doing that research for me, FP. Glenn played the song at the same length as the recorded version. I feel very lucky to have been there those two nights to experience it.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Banned

Many thanks Freypower.

I think Glenn's You Are Not Alone is a little short but I Dreamed There Was No War is perfectly formed.

Almost back on topic, I think I'd have liked Busy Being Fabulous a lot more if it was about 3 1/2 rather than 4 1/2 minutes long.