Page 2 of 41 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Hell Freezes Over DVD Survivor Game

Default Re: Hell Freezes Over DVD Survivor Game

I vote for The Girl From Yesterday. This song does nothing for me and I skip it every time I watch the DVD.

Wintertime is a razor blade that the devil made
    It's the price we pay for the summertime - J.W. '69

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I think this is going to be a really tough game because to me there’s very little difference in the quality of these performances, especially in the first half of the DVD. In our other Survivor game where we voted on song performances, I made a list of criteria for myself so I could judge the actual performances instead of the songs. I considered the overall band performance and entertainment value including such things as:

- How effective were the technical vocal and instrumental performances?

- How well was the live performance able to bring the song to life?

- How well did the style of the performance showcase the overall abilities of the band as a whole?

- Was the band emotionally engaged with the song?

- How well did the band connect with the audience?

- Did the performance appear to have an emotional impact on the audience?

So my dilemma is that when I apply this or any other criteria, it turns out to be a draw for many of the performances on this DVD. They are all just about technically perfect when it comes to vocals and instrumentation, but many of the performances feature an individual band member rather than the band as a whole, and have very little variation with regard to style. There is very little interaction with the audience and quite honestly I think the band was a bit uptight, especially in the first half of the performance. So, I was wondering if any one can think of any other performance criteria. If not, then all things equal in some instances, it may come down to me just voting for the song rather than the performance. Obviously, we’ll have to see how things play out in the game.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Yes Dreamer. It is very different from the cd only survivors where essentially we only hear the music and vocals.

I must say I love 'TGFY' and 'TLR'. Like a few people have mentioned it is rather heavy on Don Henleys lead songs.

This round I vote for 'Learn to be Still'. It is not a bad song but just less inspiring than the other songs on the DVD.
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

I vote for The Girl from Yesterday
    "For the record, we never broke up, we just took a 14-year vacation!"
    (Glenn Frey)

Gotta be Hotel California. I cannot wrap my head around it....HC is an electric rock song, and is not the mellow pretty thing they wanted it to be in the HFO concert. It's my favorite song so it's a serious decision for me. It has to have those electric solos for me.

Stuck on the Border

As this was a reunion, I'm looking for signs that the band is working together and enjoying it. Unfortunately, very few songs on the DVD fit that criteria.

I'm also fighting against the sequencing. I watched straight through and made notes as I went and several songs suffered because by that time I wanted a change of pace. Once I have a shortlist for a round, I'm going to go back and watch the songs as stand-alone to see if it makes a difference.

I feel like I want to defend TGFY. I looked back at my notes and they said "Funny this is more upbeat." So this is one that benefited from the sequencing. I was ready for a change and a vocal from Glenn was overdue. It's far from my favourite song but it seems wrong for it to be voted first.

So I'm asking those who haven't voted to put serious thought into voting for "Learn to be Still":
    - the DVD is already far too heavy on Henley lead vocals
    - the rest of the band have little to do
    - it's a dull performance of a dull song

Stuck on the Border Tiffanny Twisted's Avatar

New york minute

I find it difficult to axe things

I have nothing against Glenn's songs that are on the DVD. The other two are not high on my list to get rid of anytime soon. Even though Don had 8 or 9 songs on the DVD, Joe, Glenn, and Timothy(even though he only had two) had almost the equal amount of songs on the DVD which you don't see now since Joe does 5 or 6 songs and Timothy only does 2. Glenn and Don almost do an equal amount of songs now. I'm glad he had more songs on the HFO tour than the DVD.

Heck a lot of my favorite songs are by Glenn. Even though I'm solely a Don fan, I love some of Glenn's songs. I like Take It Easy and Tequila Sunrise on this DVD. At least you do get interaction and everybody is singing on those songs and having fun. With TGFY, its just plain ole boring. At least with the other songs that the guys were standing around on, they were singing. This one was just Glenn and Don. Even though their are a lot of songs where it features Glenn and Don helping each other on verses or backing each other, the others are singing with them.

That's why I voted for TGFY. Their wasn't no interaction and the others were not singing on the song. The steel guitar and guitar solo couldn't help the song. This was my very first choice to get rid of. Once that song is gone, it will be hard for me to get rid of the others.

Border Rebel

I vote for "Learn To Be Still." I like the lyrics, but the music is on the dull side.

Border Troubadour

Okay, I've decided that I'm going to go with gut feelings and complete honesty on this game....so I really do not like I Can't Tell You Why. I skip the DVD every time it comes on. I don't even like Vince Gill's version and I love Vince

By the way UTW I really like Learn to be Still so I don't think you should ask people to consider voting it off just because it doesn't appeal to you. Everyone has different taste...that's what makes these games interesting.
    ...Well it sure makes you wonder the things that some people will say. They can see black and white but they don't seem to notice the grey...