Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

Default Re: Hell Freezes Over DVD Survivor Game

Learn to Be Still

Learn To Be Still
    I just need a little downtime.........

Border Troubadour

Learn to Be Still, for reasons everyone has listed.

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

I can understand why people would think LTBS is boring but there's something that speaks to me when I hear it. Looks like it will definitely be going this round so I think I'll mix it up a bit.

I vote for Tequila Sunrise.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Border Rebel

I cast my vote for "Learn To Be Still."

Border Troubadour

I agree with you TBF, I don't know why people find Learn to Be Still dull - it's a beautiful profound song. You can't judge HFO on performance as it needs to be put in its context. The boys were nervous getting back together with each other after their 'break' and they also didn't know if their fans would still be there for them. So the show was carefully choreographed to focus on the songs, and as Don was arguably the most successful in his solo career, he also had the most prominence - (though I think Glenn should have sung a few of his songs if Joe was allowed to). This is also the reason imo that The Last Resort was included, to show their relevance in the modern world re the environment.

But anyway, getting back to HFO, reading some of the posts I was starting to wonder if people actually liked it!! There's so much negativity. The show was edited so we can't say if there was no interaction between the boys and/or the audience. We know that for instance, Don forgetting his words was edited and they left out some performances so it's quite possible there may have been more shots of discussions and interaction between the boys before editing.

Having said all that, enough of the lecture

I have to practice what I preach so going with the song I dislike the most (I really liked TGFY- pure country), I have to stick with I Can't Tell You Why
    ...Well it sure makes you wonder the things that some people will say. They can see black and white but they don't seem to notice the grey...

For me its a toss up between HC and New York Minute. For this round I'm going to go with New York Minute. I love this song but I don't like this version with the orchestra or the trumpet.

l thought for the unplugged concert, the song would be more stripped back but the addition of the orchestra does nothing for it really.

Apart from these two songs I like the HFO DVD and It is going to be hard to pick the next few songs to eliminate While watching the DVD, I do wonder why the rest of the band don't sing many of their own songs and maybe it was due to them not being ready or nervous after the 14 year vacation......

l also can't understand why everyone hates 'learn to be still' so much. I think it is a great song and yes, while this performance might be a bit understated, it is still performed well for an unplugged concert. l don't agree with some of the reasons for it to be voted off i.e. that it is mainly Don singing and that the others have nothing much to do with the song.
    If It was Glenn singing this song, would the reasons still be the same?

Anyway, enough of my ramblings and lets get on with the game
    "The more I know, the less I understand...."

Don't crack up, bend your brain, see both sides, throw off your mental chains"

Stuck on the Border

As it looks like Learn to be Still is going down without my vote, I'm going with something different this time. I nearly voted for it last time but I thought it would be a wasted vote. It's an Eagles song but most of it is just Don, Timothy Drury(?), Scott Crago and the orchestra. The other Eagles are just there to sing "ahh!" at the end. Was it ever played live before?

I vote for The Last Resort.

I like New York Minute a lot more: the sentiments in the lyrics, the tune, even the orchestra. Also, at least Glenn and Timothy (you can really hear that base) are involved.

Lacken, my main criterion is a good band performance which is why any song which has little band involvement should be quaking in its boots! It may seem like Don is being targeted but that's because he sings more songs than everyone else put together.
    Last edited by UndertheWire; 10-24-2014 at 10:07 AM.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

New York Minute

ETA: In response to DD's question...I LOVE the dvd for the mere fact that my beloved Eagles are back together again after 14 years! I never dreamed it would happen and when I heard about it I was ecstatic! They could have sang the phone book and I would have loved it!

And, I love Learn To Be Still, too! And Don and Glenn are so cute when Don forgets the lines!

The only problem, and I don't really find it a problem, is it's so laid back and there aren't any rockers. But, we have to vote off something to play this game.....
    Last edited by Brooke; 10-24-2014 at 10:11 AM.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Like I said earlier. I am a Don fan. So I'm not targeting Don and I'm definitely not targeting Glenn. This was suppose to be judge by performance.

I agree this is an unplugged version. I loved those unplugged special MTV and VH1 use to do. To tell the truth, I love their acoustic part of the show. It brings Don upfront from the drums. So if that was the case about not liking the laid back songs, I would be voting off all of the songs that were part of the acoustic part of the show, but I'm not.

Learn To Be Still and The Girl From Yesterday were my least favorite from the DVD. I had to vote for something because I thought it was a great DVD. Its going to get harder and harder as the game goes on since I like all the song on the DVD except those two. I don't skip LTBS. I like the song, but its not up there as my favorite.
    Last edited by shunlvswx; 10-24-2014 at 11:18 AM.