Page 17 of 41 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast

Thread: Hell Freezes Over DVD Survivor Game

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Hell Freezes Over DVD Survivor Game

Quote Originally Posted by thelastresort View Post
    I vote for Hotel California - it just seems wrong to have such a legendary song reformed into an acoustic (I sometimes think Mexican-style) piece. The outro solos are impressive but it doesn't really do much for me.
    My sentiment exactly.

I vote for Hotel California - it just seems wrong to have such a legendary song reformed into an acoustic (I sometimes think Mexican-style) piece. The outro solos are impressive but it doesn't really do much for me.
    Wrong? I'm pretty sure that's for the guys in the band to decide. Oh wait, they decided 20 years ago. I think this is a very moving version of the song. I love when a band revisits a classic. Don's vocals are incredible. Felder & Joe play their opposite solos. We get to hear something old turn into something new. The song is more beautiful then ever. I feel we're all blessed to be able to listen to more then one version of this fantastic song.

My vote is for Heart of the Matter. This is a super weak version of a solo Don song. Not moving, not particularly interesting. Nothing new here.

Wintertime is a razor blade that the devil made
    It's the price we pay for the summertime - J.W. '69

Border Troubadour

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Visitor View Post
    Wrong? I'm pretty sure that's for the guys in the band to decide. Oh wait, they decided 20 years ago.
    Indeed it is, it is blatantly entirely at their own prerogative how they choose to perform their songs, however that should not stop myself or anyone else on this board (or outwith it) from disagreeing with it or not apprecaiting it to an equal degree. A lot on here are not enamoured to the new versions of Witchy Woman or Heartache Tonight, however obviously Glenn and co. decided it was a nice thing to do (I personally like them more than the originals). Hotel California to me is the mystery of Felder's doubleneck, the huge outro solos (I believe it was slightly abridged in the HFO acoustic version) and Don's incredible ability to drum and sing simultaneously. Sadly, the HFO lacks all three.

Indeed it is, it is blatantly entirely at their own prerogative how they choose to perform their songs, however that should not stop myself or anyone else on this board (or outwith it) from disagreeing with it or not apprecaiting it to an equal degree. A lot on here are not enamoured to the new versions of Witchy Woman or Heartache Tonight, however obviously Glenn and co. decided it was a nice thing to do (I personally like them more than the originals). Hotel California to me is the mystery of Felder's doubleneck, the huge outro solos (I believe it was slightly abridged in the HFO acoustic version) and Don's incredible ability to drum and sing simultaneously. Sadly, the HFO lacks all three.
    I think using the term wrong in relation to art is pretty questionable. I'm not telling anyone to like it. I understand clearly that many don't. I think the new Witchy Woman doesn't have the same groove as the original but I don't think it's wrong.

Wintertime is a razor blade that the devil made
    It's the price we pay for the summertime - J.W. '69

Border Desperado

just throwing my two cents into the debate- I really like the HFO version of HC, its not wrong, its different. To me it shows that this truly undeniable classic American song stands not only the test of time, but the test of a rearrangement. In my opinion though, Only the Eagles could have re arranged this one and made it sound great.

The original version is undeniably awesome, and to me, no offense to Steurt Smith, I was not as impressed seeing the song done live with him as when I saw it in the Walsh/Felder days. But of course, as someone once said "time passes, things change"

I do consider myself fortunate to have seen Walsh and Felder together, it really was one of those once in a lifetime chemistry things when they played together.

Conversely, I really like the new version of WW better than the original- everyone has their own opinion. I am going to hold off a bit on my vote for this round.

I'm going to vote for Hotel California again this round. The HFO version does not do it justice. To me, its a rock song with the double neck guitar and with Don drumming and singing simultaneously, its not an acoustic song.

I also think the new version of WW is brilliant - great drums, great guitars and just all out oomph with this song - its way better than the original which I didn't particularly like. Heartache tonight is also better than before - the song feels much more alive and they really seem to enjoy playing it - that's the fastest I've seen Don play the guitar!!

One thing I am going to say about the voting for this game - to me using the reason of "over emphasis on one member instead of the band" is not a valid reason - its just a different way of saying that if a certain band member is singing a song, then that song has to go! The entire band does not need to be included in every single song, and to use that as a reason for voting for a song is misguided and not focusing on the HFO performance at all.

I know its going to get harder each round to vote for a song, so it means that I'll have to force myself to watch the DVD again to study their performances and help me decide......
    "The more I know, the less I understand...."

Don't crack up, bend your brain, see both sides, throw off your mental chains"

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Lacken101 View Post
    I'm going to vote for Hotel California again this round. The HFO version does not do it justice. To me, its a rock song with the double neck guitar and with Don drumming and singing simultaneously, its not an acoustic song.

I also think the new version of WW is brilliant - great drums, great guitars and just all out oomph with this song - its way better than the original which I didn't particularly like. Heartache tonight is also better than before - the song feels much more alive and they really seem to enjoy playing it - that's the fastest I've seen Don play the guitar!!

One thing I am going to say about the voting for this game - to me using the reason of "over emphasis on one member instead of the band" is not a valid reason - its just a different way of saying that if a certain band member is singing a song, then that song has to go! The entire band does not need to be included in every single song, and to use that as a reason for voting for a song is misguided and not focusing on the HFO performance at all.

I know its going to get harder each round to vote for a song, so it means that I'll have to force myself to watch the DVD again to study their performances and help me decide......
    For a start all reasons for voting are valid. I draw your attention to the rules of this game:

Note: Do not criticize how/why other people vote. Their reasons are their own and they are free to vote however they like. Also, never attack a fellow poster. You can disagree without making it personal. Sometimes these games can get heated, but remember... it's still just a game.

As I was the person who used the phrase 'over emphasis on one member' that is precisely what I meant; over emphasis. It has nothing to do with the fact that it's Don Henley singing. It's just that for about three quarters of this show, it's him singing and the rest of the band just sit there doing nothing or hardly anything. This, as I have said before, was supposed to be a reunion of the biggest American band of the 70s and most of it is a procession of long, slow ballads, most of which happen to feature Don Henley. No, the entire band didn't have to be equally featured in every song. I have no problem with Henley being so prominent on some of the songs, just not this many. It is overdone. I don't believe I am 'misguided' to point this out and I also am focusing on the performances as much as I can. But when so many of them are so similar, you have to choose, and that is what I have done. I could have gone for In The City next, but the basic fact is that it's more interesting to watch.

So while I am here, I will say that the performance of HC is one of my favourites & I love how they emphasise the Mexican feel. But I can understand why others prefer the original and I stress that I consider their opinions valid.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    For a start all reasons for voting are valid. I draw your attention to the rules of this game:

Note: Do not criticize how/why other people vote. Their reasons are their own and they are free to vote however they like. Also, never attack a fellow poster. You can disagree without making it personal. Sometimes these games can get heated, but remember... it's still just a game.
    I just want to make it clear that this is not a personal attack on you or on anyone else and if my comment came across that way, I apologize - your comment just happened to be the one I used as an example - of course everyone is free to use what ever reason they want to, to vote for a song and everyone is entitled to an opinion on what those reasons are....

I may choose to step back and not vote anymore in this game, I'll decide that in a day or two as the game has lost the fun element for me.
    "The more I know, the less I understand...."

Don't crack up, bend your brain, see both sides, throw off your mental chains"

Stuck on the Border

There is no need for you to do that, but unfortunately as it was my comment you criticised, I felt I had to respond.

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

There is someone out there who doesn't like the new arrangement of Witchy Woman???!!! Who is this person??!!

I have one thought to add about this version of HC. I think that Don and Glenn (and Irving) were very calculating and strategic about how they handled it. They were basically announcing to the world that they didn't need and didn't intend to hang their hat on their biggest hit ever - and, not only were they not going to play it as the encore, they were going to get it out of the way first AND they were going to play a new version of it! It was a statement that tied in with including four new Eagles songs and Don's solo hits - trying to package themselves as a valid act for the new era.

Don't forget that the original version started out as Mexican-sounding, i.e. Mexican reggae.