Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Who do you guys side with? Felder or Henley/Frey?

Out on the Border

Default Who do you guys side with? Felder or Henley/Frey?

Interview wise, Felder comes across as a much more likeable person. He doesn't seem that bitter about things, and still gives Henley and Frey a lot of credit. Calls Henley maybe the greatest rock voice ever and credits them as incredible lyricists and songwriters.

DH and GF (especially GF) seem somewhat full of themselves when talking. Very bitter about things that happened years ago.

I understand why Don and Glenn felt they deserved a bigger slice. I don't understand why they change the order of names on a credit for a song or the need to call every shot.

Glenn did have more success than the others during the break up years, but it paled in comparison to Don's. So why doesn't Don get more money. I'd love to hear Glenn's response if someone asked him this. He might blow a blood vessel.

Default Re: Who do you guys side with? Felder or Henley/Frey?

Walsh. I always side w/Joe.

Wintertime is a razor blade that the devil made
    It's the price we pay for the summertime - J.W. '69

I refuse to take sides because, while Felder has been vocal about the incident, Glenn and Don have remained relatively tight-lipped thru the years and I don't think we know the entire story. It's difficult to choose sides when you don't have all the data.
    I just need a little downtime.........

good point cynd, I'd have to side with Glenn and Don because Felder is being a bit too melodramatic to my liking

Quote Originally Posted by korean eagle View Post

Glenn did have more success than the others during the break up years, but it paled in comparison to Don's. So why doesn't Don get more money. I'd love to hear Glenn's response if someone asked him this. He might blow a blood vessel.
    now that would be something to see

Stuck on the Border

I side with Frey/Henley & the only part of the first post I will address is the 'bitterness' aspect. Don Felder is bitter to the core. I have nothing else to say on the subject.

Stuck on the Border

I side with Frey/Henley because I value their contributions much more highly than Felder's.

I've realised that I don't know on what issue we are being asked to take sides.

The only area in which I'm qualified to judge is in my enjoyment of the music and as my favourite Eagles music predates Felder's participation, it's an easy choice.
    Last edited by UndertheWire; 11-12-2014 at 07:49 PM.

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

I don't like taking sides, as that necessitates making a judgment I'm not qualified to make. Like Cynd said, we do not have all the information from all parties involved.

All that being said, even if you only take into account Felder's input, right or wrong, it was obvious that in 2001 there were only two things that could happen. Either the Eagles removed Felder from the scene, or the Eagles retired permanently. There were no other options that were ever going to work, and so I'm glad they chose the option they did. The Eagles might be less without Felder (and since I never saw them live with Felder I can't say they are 'less'), but they are certainly better than no Eagles at all. It would have broken my heart to have had them disband again.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Border Troubadour

With regard to the specific incident back in 2001 I tend to side with Felder, however I don't think he's handled himself well with Eagles matters since; however neither Henley nor especially Frey came out of HOTE smelling of roses either.

In all honesty the whole thing genuinely upsets me. I absolutely adore this band, and all seven members. I look back at all the old footage and see one of Felder's first Eagles moments when he gave one of the best performances I have ever seen on DKRC back in 1974; I see him and Glenn with arms around each other's backs like best buddies on Houston 77 (before Walk Away); the seemingly-impossible reunion back in 1994 that spawned one of the most successful tours of all time. Then it all changes. Gone is one half of one of rock's greatest guitar partnerships, one of the most successful band line-up's ever, and the man who (no matter who wrote or changed what) created the base of the band's most famous song, one of the biggest songs of all time. The fact that it even creates tensions on a fan-forum, factions into who loves one or the other, is awful. I can't tell if Felder's actions since constitute bitterness, contempt or regret, or a combination thereof; but I honest to God hope one day, even if it's the final tour or show or act the band ever puts out that at least the bridges or rebuilt. Will it happen? Probably not. Would it delight millions of loyal followers however? Yes. We should remember the Eagles for being America's finest ever export, a band who millions of people over nearly half a century have sang, cried and had their highest highs to. We shouldn't remember it because three of them didn't get along.

Siding with whom on what issue? The firing that occurred 15 years ago? The HFO arrangement that occurred 20 years ago? The tensions from the 70s that occurred 40 years ago?

Korean eagle, It sounds from your post that you want us to judge them as people - who's the better man or something. We don't even know them! In my own limited experience, Glenn has been the nicest by far, but even so I acknowledge that I don't know these guys well enough to pass judgement on the entirety of their moral characters. I leave that to them and God.

For me, it's about the music. I enjoy the Eagles, both as they were then and as they are now. When it comes to solo work, I much prefer Henley and Frey's catalogs to Felder's. He's a great guitarist, though.

I wish Felder the best in his career, and I wish Frey and Henley the best with the Eagles and on their own. I'm very grateful that they decided to carry on without Felder rather than disband... especially since if they had disbanded in 2000, I never would have "rediscovered" them in 2005, and this site would not exist. To me, the Eagles are a pretty big deal.

More power to 'em all.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten