Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: CMAs 11-07-07

Stuck on the Border EasyFeeling's Avatar

GA, I'm sorry your recording doesn't work.

Dreamer, you are back. I'm glad you had so much fun. Now I'm heading to Keith's section to see if you have anything to say about his performance.

After waiting what seemed like forever to get into YouTube, with "1 item remaining" staying on the screen for quite while, i.e. the video (with the link and comments, etc. on the page already), I decided I was just going to download the video and get done with it.

Mission accomplished. I've watched it and I have one thing to say: THE EAGLES ARE AWESOME!!!

Their voices are stunning and the band is as tight as ever. Absolute perfection. This performance is as perfect as the record - only better because it's live. Glenn's voice thrilled me, and he looked simply gorgeous . It's amazing how he hits those notes so high and true at his age. Despite his voice pitch dropping quite a bit since the '70s, he sings that song as well as he did back then, if not better. The same can be said for Don (although I have to go on a little more about Glenn ).

Soda, Dreamer and DF: how proud our boys must have made the three of you!

I've got a peaceful, easy feeling
    And I know Glenn won't let me down

Default CMA repeat

According to the net, CMT is going to rebroadcast the CMA awards on Thanksgiving at 8pm eastern time. I know the clip has been posted but thought I'd share for anyone else that didn't get to see the show when it aired...or just wants to watch it again.
    I possess the silver bullets to slay the demons from my past. How do I know? Because I survived them-and I am already stronger than I believe.

Stuck on the Border

I watched the CMAs last night - or the second hour. As I turned on I thought 'uh oh. I've missed the Eagles'. But sure enough it was repeated this morning. I'm very proud of myself. I recorded it and I already have some very nice screenshots which I will share if I can get PB to load.

Glenn looked absolutely gorgeous. The jacket is the one he wore at the Tiger Woods Benefit!!!! He sang really well. He did his usual thing of moving his head around and keeping up group morale. The harmonies were great. Don's part was good too.

I have read a lot of criticism of Steuart's solo and I don't get it. He played it fine, perhaps slightly more stripped down than the recorded version.

I believe I caught Kris Kristofferson applauding at the end. It certainly looked like him.

Other than that though, the show bemused this Australian. Watching these people all thanking God and country radio was a bit weird. The female singers in particular, to me, were not country singers but Celine Dion power balladeers (except for Allison Krauss, who wasn't bad and has just recorded an album with Robert Plant). And of course I hadn't heard of many of them.

I'm afraid I don't understand why them thanking God and country radio was weird. Country music has ALWAYS had spiritual ties and many of today's country artists consider themselves christians. As for radio, without radio there wouldn't be much advertisement for these stars and they are one of the few genres that are actually thankful and appreciative of it.

Also, you don't get much more country than Jennifer Nettles voice. If anyone ties "twang" with country music.....there you would have it. Today's country music has evolved just like every other genre. You don't hear much rock/pop that sounds like the Eagles these days. Instead.........you'd find the country artists fitting that mold. But then, I guess the Eagles have always been considered a little bit country...a little bit rock 'n roll. lol

I'm really not meaning to nit pick at your post..........just posting my observations and opinions that possibly differ lol

Quote Originally Posted by Maleah
    I'm afraid I don't understand why them thanking God and country radio was weird.
    Neither do I, Maleah. After all, it's not just country artists that thank God when they win a special award - people do it at awards shows all the time, from Mary J. Blige at the Grammys to Jennifer Hudson at the Oscars (just two examples among many). It's not unusual at all. And I don't really see why it's odd that these guys would be grateful for their radio play either.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

I was thinking about the CMAs this morning, and remembering some of those old clips they showed during the commercial breaks.

One was the Gatlin Bros singing "All the gold in California...is in a bank in the middle of Beverly Hills in somebody else's name."

I got a chuckle when I thought the lyrics could be:
    "All the gold in California is in a bank in the middle of Beverly Hills in Irving Azoff's name."

Good one DF.

Stuck on the Border tbs fanatic's Avatar

Okay, I have to add my two cents as I chuckle at the last few posts. Thanking God and so on at award ceremony's is very American. I am English and have lived in America for many years and am always amazed at how much Americans thank God for this, that and the other - I'm not knocking it but it tends to be overdone and so doesn't sound very genuine. Honestly, you don't hear this much (if at all) in other countries.

I could go on but I"ll stop as I'm sure I've already ticked people off.

I will agree that sometimes, with certain people, it comes across as being not genuine. But to judge them and say that it's NOT genuine is not for me to say. I don't know if you (tbs) or FP believe in God or not.....but if you don't....then just because a lot of people do and thank Him for things...that doesn't make it overdone and not genuine. You guys would probably get sick of me if I ever make it famous because I would be thanking Him for EVERYTHING because I know what He's done for me and what He's brought me through. lol! I'm not trying to attack your opposing view, trust me because I love you two to pieces (!).....just trying to maybe point out why it's not necessarily fair. I would never look at something that another country does and say that it's silly or overdone just because it wasn't something that wasn't important to me. I'm not saying that's what you to did...I'm just trying to point out that every person and every country is different. I'm gonna stop because you guys are going to think I'm overreacting (and I"m sorry if you do!)......but this is a very important subject to me! Sorry! lol