Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: CMAs 11-07-07

Stuck on the Border EasyFeeling's Avatar

Oh, seems this is a sensitive issue here. I don't think you are overreacting, Maleah. It's just the way you think and that's ok. When I watched American award shows like the Oscar or so I also noticed that. Barely one does it in Germany. But every country has its own beliefs and I respect that.

Stuck on the Border tbs fanatic's Avatar

I'm sorry if I upset you Maleah, I'm really not knocking it. I'm sure you could find plenty of things that the English do that would baffle you. It is simply one of those quirky American things. I'm married to an American so don't get me started on 'quirky Americans'

Hmm, I learned something new today! I think the reason that Maleah and I wasn't too keen on the term "weird" was that it seemed to imply that there was something wrong with people thanking God. If you believe they are all hypocrites I guess I understand the disapproval, although I'm not sure how one could know that without knowing the person. Certainly I understand better why FP was so surprised by it if it doesn't happen in other countries and she had not seen an American awards show before.

But one thing I do know, people believe in God everywhere. It's not like America invented Him! lol I'm not sure why it's more common to thank Him over here.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by DonFan
    I was thinking about the CMAs this morning, and remembering some of those old clips they showed during the commercial breaks.

One was the Gatlin Bros singing "All the gold in California...is in a bank in the middle of Beverly Hills in somebody else's name."

I got a chuckle when I thought the lyrics could be:
    "All the gold in California is in a bank in the middle of Beverly Hills in Irving Azoff's name."
    lol!

You know, I LOVE that old song. I find the original line pretty funny, too!

Perhaps we are just more outspoken. We are used to shooting our mouths off here, because we can. lol We make sure we exercise that right. Unfortunately, many of those acceptance speeches come across as very contrived. Perhaps the person who thanks family, friends, industry and fans, then goes home and quietly gives thanks to God comes across as more genuine than someone up there spouting tears (yet completely able to speak normally) and naming every name they can come up with.

Stuck on the Border

I have had to edit this several times. First of all I apologise for using the word 'weird'. I meant it the way Australians and British people tend to use it for something we're not used to, and no, I'm not used to such overt religiosity. I don't watch award shows. When I did use to watch them (the Oscars) people didn't automatically thank God every time. I felt that God was being lumped in with every other person who had to be thanked, who ranged from country radio to producers to ex-wives to fans, and I'm afraid the people who thanked God didn't come across as genuine to me. So if that makes me sound pompous again I apologise. I tend to agree with what PLS said about faith being something you express in private which you don't have to shout from the rooftops. But if it was a natural thing for them to do, then that is fair enough, and I'm wrong to criticise it. My point was it didn't sound natural, but my culture is very different.

Quote Originally Posted by tbs fanatic
    I'm sorry if I upset you Maleah, I'm really not knocking it. I'm sure you could find plenty of things that the English do that would baffle you. It is simply one of those quirky American things. I'm married to an American so don't get me started on 'quirky Americans'
    nah...you didn't upset me. I just felt the need to defend something I believe in So don't feel sorry!

Soda, I think you hit the nail on the head with everything you said!

FP I understand what you're saying. No need to apologize for your language or opinions

I think the part that bothers me is like what Soda said.....a) it seemed to be implied that something was wrong with it ( I understand now what you all meant).......and b) another thing that Soda stated......it's hard to say that someone isn't sincere when you don't know them.

Don't worry FP - I'm sorry I misunderstood you. I also didn't realize that "weird" had a different connotation elsewhere. I guess I'm getting some cultural lessons today. That's a good thing!

same here! It's always good to keep learning!

Stuck on the Border EasyFeeling's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SodaScouts
    Don't worry FP - I'm sorry I misunderstood you. I also didn't realize that "weird" had a different connotation elsewhere. I guess I'm getting some cultural lessons today. That's a good thing!
    I looked it up in the dic... I found 11 similar meanings of that word. Not easy for me to use it in the right way.