Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Eagles: Between Heaven & Hell

Default Eagles: Between Heaven & Hell

I'll admit that I was pretty curious about what Don Felder had written about his life as a Eagle. I realize that his take on the story would be entirely biased; however, I was going to buy his book when it came out next week. Not any more.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------

From Entertainment Weekly online, 9-25-07:
    Hyperion Spikes Don Felder Memoir

I'm disappointed too that it's not going to be released.
    How can love survive in such a graceless age?

Stuck on the Border

Well, well. While this does not surprise me, I hope amazon.co.uk tells me the thing has been pulled. I somehow knew the Dynamic Duo + 1 would never allow this to be published.

Felder and his obsession with 'intra-band squabbling' and his view of himself as the innocent victim sitting quietly on the sidelines has never washed with me. I would rather believe Glenn's HOF 'peaks and valleys' speech. As for the 'unjust share of the profits' it has been pointed out on numerous occasions that Felder agreed to what was decided.

Pity, that. I wanted to read it. Perhaps it will be published elsewhere.

I had planned to read that book and was looking forward to the release - it never hurts to perceive other people's opinions

So I'm disappointed it was cancelled and I really wonder what (or who?) caused this cancellation.
    We'll have stars to wish on every single night
    We'll build a fire and make love by candlelight

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower
    Well, well. While this does not surprise me, I hope amazon.co.uk tells me the thing has been pulled. I somehow knew the Dynamic Duo + 1 would never allow this to be published.

Felder and his obsession with 'intra-band squabbling' and his view of himself as the innocent victim sitting quietly on the sidelines has never washed with me. I would rather believe Glenn's HOF 'peaks and valleys' speech. As for the 'unjust share of the profits' it has been pointed out on numerous occasions that Felder agreed to what was decided.
    Well, I didn't even know about the book , but in my humble opinion, The Eagles, both past and present, have respected each other enough not to disclose much about their personal dealings (from what I have gathered up until now), and it's just fair that Don Felder does the same. No doubt he would have taken a couple of swings at Glenn and Don, and how many of us Eagles fans would really have been pleased to read that? There are enough biographers out there who do the mud-slinging job well enough without ex-Eagles also getting in on the act. What's done is done - life is too short to be bitter about the past. It's been 7 years since Don was fired, after all. To quote Don Henley's "Heart of the Matter":

There are people in your life who've come and gone
    They let you down
    You know they hurt your pride
    You better put it all behind you, baby
    'Cause life goes on

You keep carrying that anger
    It will eat you up inside, baby

Now that I've got that off my chest: FP, can you elaborate on Glenn's HOF "peaks and valleys" speech, please? I'd like to know what it was about (what does HOF stand for?).

I've got a peaceful, easy feeling
    And I know Glenn won't let me down

What I want to know: how did the book get so far—written, edited, even published—before they managed to pull the plug ONE WEEK before it was due in stores?

I'm sure they were fighting it all along, but I thought this issue was addressed when they finally reached the settlement with Felder. And now to have this happen in the 11th hour is a bit surprising.

I agree with the EW writer that the timing--precisely when the Eagles are debuting their new album to considerable fanfare--could not be worse. They don't want to focus on the negative image that Felder most surely portrays in his book right NOW, with their new single climbing the charts. Maybe what they have managed to do is stall the book for awhile, and then it will eventually be published at a later date.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by DonFan
    I agree with the EW writer that the timing--precisely when the Eagles are debuting their new album to considerable fanfare--could not be worse. They don't want to focus on the negative image that Felder most surely portrays in his book right NOW, with their new single climbing the charts. Maybe what they have managed to do is stall the book for awhile, and then it will eventually be published at a later date.
    This is exactly what crossed my mind when I read about the cancellation. The timing for Felder with the release of both the book and album couldn't have been better. Nor, could it have been worse for the band. Unless you are to believe that no publicity is bad publicity.

I couldn't imagine Don and Glenn sitting in an interview answering any general Don Felder questions, much less the types of questions and subject matter this book would certainly bring up.

Stuck on the Border

MF, when the band were inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame in 1998 Glenn gave what I call his 'leadership speech'. He was last to speak. Part of what he said is quoted in Marc Eliot's To The Limit, which to put it mildly is not pro-Frey, but in this instance is fair:

'A lot has been made & a lot has been speculated about the last 27 years about whether or not we got along. We got along fine! We just disagreed a lot! Tell me one worthwhile relationship that has not had peaks and valleys....you cannot play music with people for very long if you don't genuinely like them. I guarantee you that over the 9 years the Eagles were together during the 70s, over the 3 years we were together during our reunion, the best of times rank in the 95%, the worst of times rank in the smallest percentile that obviously everybody but the seven of us has dwelled on for the longest time. Get over it'!

Well, he would say that, wouldn't he? It's his job to be positive in a public situation like this. Contrast Don Felder's interviews which always seemed to be about all the fighting and the 'pressure cooker' stuff.

I agree that the timing of this is very interesting given that the book was literally on the verge of release. I don't think it will ever be published. I hope for his own sake that Don Felder can indeed put it all behind him.

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

I've read that book too and Glenn 's speech from the HOF awards. I totally agree on both points. The book is not at all pro Glenn . In fact and it angers me I feel it is quite anti Glenn in some parts and places too much emphasis on Don's role in the band (Don H that is). Of course Don was and is important as a founding member, but it was originally Glenn who started the band in the first place. Agreed Glenn was probably looking back with slightly rose tinted glasses and I'm sure there was plenty of bickering within the band, but it would have been impossible for the band members to get on 24/7/365. Any group of adults in that kind of situation, particularly with the lifestyle they led around the band commitments would have had at least a few shake ups. But they would not have survived if they had not had good times as well. And most people looking back over an experience tend to remember the better times. Felder is obviously bitter about being fired which is probably why he is more aware of the 'not so good' times and the 'pressure cooker situations'
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP