Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eagles fan from the UK

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

Default Eagles fan from the UK

Hi fellow Eagles fans,

I am Jonny, I am a classic rock fan from the UK and count the Eagles as one of my favourite bands. I've been lurking here for a while and have found out some really interesting things about the band and the songs from these forums. I am also really into Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Neil Young (& Crazy Horse), Dire Straits and Fleetwood Mac, amongst others.

I suspect I am probably not alone in first hearing the Eagles via Hotel California, which somehow I only truly listened to for the first time last summer. Impressed by the song, I uploaded to my music library from my parents' CD collection and later added the full album as well. Having enjoyed this greatly I subsequently found their copy of One Of These Nights which I also loved and have since added all the other 1970s albums to my collection (I downloaded them but am hoping to replace these with the Studio Albums box set).

One weird thing was my parents used to play Don Henley's End Of The Innocence in the car when I was a child (this would have been in around 2003 or so) so I was introduced to his voice long before I heard the Eagles as a band - I had no idea he was in the band until a lot later.

I enjoy both the 'country rock' and 'harder rock' versions of the band, my two favourite albums are Hotel California and Desperado but I can listen to just about all the songs on the 1972-79 albums. I haven't heard Long Road Out Of Eden in full although I have heard a handful of songs, all of which I've liked to varying degrees.

I have too many favourite songs to list right now and don't really have a single favourite member as I think they have all made some great contributions over the years. If pushed I'd probably say Randy Meisner as I really like all his songs and he would almost certainly make my favourite Eagles line up. Vocally I think the original four were the best, but the best line up musically IMO would definitely have to include Felder in there (Bernie and Joe are so different I can't pick one over the other easily, which one I'd rather hear play depends on my mood). No slight intended to Tim of course, he's an excellent singer and bass player in his own right.

Looking forward to contributing here, seems like a nice community with plenty of opportunity for discussion.

Jonny

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Default Re: Eagles fan from the UK

Welcome to The Border, Jonny!

Sounds like you will have a good time here if you love the Eagles like we do! Lots to see and learn here! Enjoy!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Welcome, Jonny! Glad to have you!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Border Troubadour prayfordaylight's Avatar

Welcome
    -Ali

You can see the stars and still not see the light.

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Welcome from across the water Jonny. Did you get to any of their UK shows last Summer?
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

Sadly I didn't. Would certainly have been nice to have gone, apart from the obvious pleasure of seeing the band live the setlist looked great, there seemed to be quite a few less common songs (Saturday Night, TLHTM, Doolin-Dalton, PMAIAR, Those Shoes) and of course Bernie being there for a good chunk it as well. Funnily enough though I'd never actually been to a rock concert until this summer when I went to see Neil Young, which was a terrific night.

Apart from taking my name from the lyrics of New Kid In Town and Jonny being my real name, I'm relatively new to music in general, three years or so ago I was a pretty passive listener and only since then have I really started to get into it so I'm still a 'New Kid In Town' compared to most other music fans around my age. One other thing is that I actually share my first and middle name with J.D. Souther. Along with being born the year hell froze over, I guess it was inevitable I'd become an Eagles fan.

Stuck on the Border Witchy Woman's Avatar

Welcome, Jonny !!

Stuck on the Border

Welcome Jonny. You seem to have quite similar musical tastes to mine. You mention Dire Straits; just letting you know I am this board's resident Dire Straits/Mark Knopfler fanatic. Feel free...

Border Troubadour

Oi, there's only room for one young British male Eagles fanatic on this forum

Seriously though, welcome Out of interest whereabouts are you from? Us Brits are quite a rare breed on here.

Border Troubadour

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    You mention Dire Straits; just letting you know I am this board's resident Dire Straits/Mark Knopfler fanatic. Feel free...
    Superb guitarist, his work at the end of Sultans of Swing (I've always assumed it's him anyway) is amazing.

Out of interest British comedian Al Murray refers to Dire Straits as the Geordie Eagles, make of that what you will.

(For any Americans etc on here, Geordie = someone from Newcastle upon Tyne.)