Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Someone playing Mandolin offstage??? HOTE

Border Desperado

Default Someone playing Mandolin offstage??? HOTE

I was privileged to get to see the Eagles for the second time, last November in Knoxville, TN. First off, they sounded amazing. As good or better than they did the first time I saw them (HFO in Knoxville '95).
    One thing that I noticed during "Saturday Night" was that it sounded like there was a Mandolin playing, even though Don and Glenn were the only 2 onstage, both playing acoustic guitars.
    Has anyone else noticed this? If so, is this common?
    Thanks and great forum...I am a huge Eagles fan, and have thoroughly enjoyed reading the posts!!!!

BTW, please forgive the repetition if this has already been discussed. I looked through several threads, but didnt notice any comments on it.

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

Default Re: Someone playing Mandolin offstage??? HOTE

Welcome, Bill! Yes, that happens every night on this tour, and it has been acknowledged by the posters here. The only info I have is that someone chimed in, not a regular on the board, but someone who seemed to be "in the know," saying that it is not Bernie playing backstage. So it's either someone else playing live, or its a track. Sorry, not very helpful!

Border Desperado

Thanks for the response. A track does make sense, timing and all. It would be easier, I would think for the guys on the soundboard to do this, as opposed to someone behind the curtain, who would have to play with the guys on stage.

Border Troubadour

Steuart Smith also plays mandolin, though I would have thought if anyone played it IRL it would be Bernie. An accordion is also definitely audible too.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

BB, I noticed it at the show I was at too! I figured it was Bernie but wondered why they didn't announce it if it was. I wish they would have let him do it.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Border Desperado

I agree Brooke, if it were Bernie, just bring him out to start the set. I mean he was an Original Eagle. Plus that song is off the second album. I guess that wanted to have the spotlights only on them to start with.
    I also can't say for sure, but I wouldn't be surprised to hear that there are other voices singing, along with Don and Glenn's.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by BillBailey1976 View Post
    I agree Brooke, if it were Bernie, just bring him out to start the set. I mean he was an Original Eagle. Plus that song is off the second album. I guess that wanted to have the spotlights only on them to start with.
    I also can't say for sure, but I wouldn't be surprised to hear that there are other voices singing, along with Don and Glenn's.
    Does anyone else who has seen this live think there were other people singing? Why would that have happened?

Border Desperado

My only thought with other voices is that we know they have added additional singers to fill out the harmonies, and I don't know if it was just acoustics, but the harmonies sounded a bit fuller than 2 people , especially toward the end.
    I am willing to admit that it may very well have just been them..but if you're going to add instruments from offstage, it's not a stretch to think they might add voices too..
    Plus, I am a fan of southern gospel quartet music as well, and know that there is a practice called "stacking vocals" where during harmony parts, you have the voices of the actual singers played lower on track with the live singers to fill out the harmonies more.

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

I didn't hear any other voices. Just those two beautiful voices...
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Border Desperado

Quote Originally Posted by VAisForEagleLovers View Post
    I didn't hear any other voices. Just those two beautiful voices...
    I admit, it may just have been acoustics, or that they are so good that the harmonies work that well together, that it creates such a full sound.
    It was the first time I'd ever heard JUST Don and Glenn singing together with so little instrumentation.