Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Someone playing Mandolin offstage??? HOTE

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Default Re: Someone playing Mandolin offstage??? HOTE

Quote Originally Posted by BillBailey1976 View Post
    It was the first time I'd ever heard JUST Don and Glenn singing together with so little instrumentation.
    Same here, which is why I was in such heaven each and every time I heard it. I love the Eagles, and I love listening to all of them, even with the backup band. Like I earlier tonight in another thread, all of them singing the harmonies on Doolin' Dalton / Reprise is one of the most incredible things I've ever heard. On the other hand, one song of just Don and Glenn, my two favorite voices, is pretty incredible, too.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

I saw this tour twice and I did not hear any mandolin or other voices...although both concerts were last year..

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

I definitely heard the mandolin, just not extra voices. Bill, I can't remember which of the many concerts it was, but I seem to remember someone else mentioning it as well, so maybe it is the way the sound reverbs. I paid more attention at the next concert, and the next, and the next...
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

It's hard to say for sure, but I never noticed any other voices. I did notice the additional instrumentation, but at all of the shows I've seen, I don't recall ever thinking it was anyone singing other than Don and Glenn - and how beautifully their voices blended together.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

I didn't hear any other voices either & I was paying particulat attention to their harmonies as I have always thought that their voices blend so beautifully.

This isn't a very good quality clip soundwise, but it sounds like only two voices to me. http://youtu.be/HFl4H55Qe0w

Quote Originally Posted by GlennLover View Post
    I didn't hear any other voices either & I was paying particulat attention to their harmonies as I have always thought that their voices blend so beautifully.
    I totally agree with you GL. I saw this show 16 times, 15 in the first row and I only ever heard two guitars and two beautiful voices.

Anyone else having Eagle withdrawal😢😢😢

Banned

It's very disappointing. I remember as far back as the HFO tour when the I thought the chorus vocal of Dirty Laundry sounded synthetic, hardly worth mentioning but each tour the authenticity drops another notch.

Joe's helmet cam. Henley not on drums. The army of backing musicians. The questionable beginning of Hole In The World. Worst so far, the piped opening to Long Road Out Of Eden and now Glenn and Don pretending to play a duet.

Tim and Joe have stood on stage and performed solo, I can only think Glenn and Don are incapable of playing a duet.

It used to be all about the music but in the last twenty years, the development of Jumbotron screens, visual effects, digital sound advances and the huge increase in the number of arena sized venues have really changed the form of tours. They're a lot more lucrative for the artists, it's probably a better show for the audience but I think some magic is lost.

I haven't attended a History Of The Eagles show. I'd have loved to have seen Bernie, the low-fi start, Doolin Dalton and Those Shoes but the show crossed the line for me.

I'm just hoping they put together a new show which lasts comfortably over 2 hours, has a little bit of magic, a whole chunk of rock and 100% music performed by musicians. Testifying as Joe would put it.

Stuck on the Border

Video clips of the recent tour don't do them justice. In the hall, they sound much better and I'm glad I wasn't put off by the poor quality clips with the audience talking and walking through the songs.

Of course, forty years ago they sounded amazing with just four of them, if the 1973 BBC footage is anything to go by. But even then, there was concern that their sound wasn't big enough for the larger venues which is why they added another guitarist. As a time machine isn't feasible, what can they do? Retire - which they may do soon - or add backing musicians to fill out the sound and make good any deficiencies?

One interesting difference for "Train Leaves Here is Morning" on the clip posted above as compared with the BBC 1973 version, is that in 2013 Glenn played a solo on an electric guitar whereas in 1973 it was Bernie on an accoustic. Who says they always play it exactly like the record?!

Interesting observation, UTW.

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    It's very disappointing. I remember as far back as the HFO tour when the I thought the chorus vocal of Dirty Laundry sounded synthetic, hardly worth mentioning but each tour the authenticity drops another notch.

Joe's helmet cam. Henley not on drums. The army of backing musicians. The questionable beginning of Hole In The World. Worst so far, the piped opening to Long Road Out Of Eden and now Glenn and Don pretending to play a duet.

Tim and Joe have stood on stage and performed solo, I can only think Glenn and Don are incapable of playing a duet.

It used to be all about the music but in the last twenty years, the development of Jumbotron screens, visual effects, digital sound advances and the huge increase in the number of arena sized venues have really changed the form of tours. They're a lot more lucrative for the artists, it's probably a better show for the audience but I think some magic is lost.

I haven't attended a History Of The Eagles show. I'd have loved to have seen Bernie, the low-fi start, Doolin Dalton and Those Shoes but the show crossed the line for me.

I'm just hoping they put together a new show which lasts comfortably over 2 hours, has a little bit of magic, a whole chunk of rock and 100% music performed by musicians. Testifying as Joe would put it.

The History of the Eagles tour has been the best setlist and the best Eagles shows I have ever seen, IMHO. I always thought their opening approach is exactly the kind of thing purists would like, even if they do pipe in the mandolin (rather unnecessarily, I agree, but no one asked me lol).

While I understand missing Henley on the drums throughout, a lot of fan crave seeing him up front, and even in the old days they'd bring him out for songs like "Best of My Love." It's not as if he's neglected the drum kit entirely, but sadly for us, he doesn't really seem to enjoy playing drums for the most part and is eager to leave them behind. There's also the physical strain of it.

I'm not sure about what you mean about a "pretend duet." Aren't they the only vocalists on the opening number, or am I mistaken?

They've also gotten rid of a great deal of the supplemental musicians for this tour - no more "horn section." They have kept some, but they've had some supplemental musicians with them as early as "The Long Run" tour.

I say all of this not to invalidate your opinion, which you have every right to, but in the hopes that you'll reconsider going to one of these shows if there is ever another opportunity. I'll lay odds you won't regret going if you do so.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten