Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Someone playing Mandolin offstage??? HOTE

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Default Re: Someone playing Mandolin offstage??? HOTE

All I can say is that judging the HOTE concert by listening to the incredibly poor clips posted on YouTube and similar places, and determining the band's not as good as they should be totally validates the band's stance on not allowing video to be taken.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Stuck on the Border

I think it should be pointed out that Henley does no solo songs on this tour & from what I have read he plays drums on a couple more songs than on previous tours - most of the Desperado songs including Tequila Sunrise which he hadn't played on since the band first broke up. I presume he also plays drums on PMIAR (although not Those Shoes, admittedly). He no longer plays drums on HT & LITFL. He has to do what is best for his health. I have no idea what the comments about Saturday Night are about but from what most people have said the performance of it by just Glenn & Don sounds perfectly valid to me. I won't see it myself until March & I certainly will not judge it until then.

I was too overwhelmed at the first two shows to pay attention to a mandolin, but someone mentioned it in a review, so at the next show (front row center in Seattle) I listened for it and once you do that, you hear it every time. If someone hadn't mentioned it, I'm not sure I would have placed the instrument, but it's definitely not coming from either Don or Glenn's guitar. Even sitting here, remembering the Vegas concert, I can hear it in my head and see Glenn swaying slightly in time to it with his eyes closed.
    VK

Border Desperado

It seems that the consensus is that there is no one else singing. I am glad that many of you chimed in. Thanks for the input.
    We were on the top row of a very big Arena. The 20,000 seat Thompson Boling Arena.

It was cool to hear Glenn say "It's nice to be in the house that women's basketball built".....and then talk about all the plaques in the locker room and the banners that Pat Summit and the Lady Vols had won. You can tell he is a big sports fan. I don't know if it was put on, but he actually seemed to be kind of in awe of her and the accomplishments.

Quote Originally Posted by BillBailey1976 View Post
    I am glad that many of you chimed in. Thanks for the input.
    We all love to talk about our guys!
    VK

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

FP, you won't have to try very hard to hear the mandolin, it is quite prominent and is obviously not being played by anyone on stage!! The overall song is lovely and is a great way to start the show. I think the phantom mandolin player is an odd choice in the quiet song for a band that obviously plays all of their music live, on stage, but who cares, it's Don and Glenn up there singing on their boxes, and they decided to do it this way. Can't wait to hear your impressions. And Flojo, too, I think she's going to Australia.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I'm wondering if it is Steuart playing the mandolin on the song if it's not Bernie? It's possible it is Joe, although I don't think I've ever heard about Joe playing the instrument.
    Last edited by Ive always been a dreamer; 12-17-2014 at 11:37 PM.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    I'm wondering if it is Steuart playing the mandolin on the song if it's not Bernie? Iet's possible it is Joe, although I don't think I've ever heard about Joe playing the instrument.
    I remember reading that Joe didn't play the smaller stringed instruments as his hands were too large.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

GL - I had forgotten that, but now that you mention it, I do vaguely recall reading something along those lines about Joe.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border

Whoever is singing or playing in the dark, I have always felt that the point was to show visually how the band started - with Glenn and Don - and that's why we see no one else (even Bernie). I haven't heard a quality version, but if there are other instruments (I don't think there are other voices), it's certainly not a case of cheating. Not that anyone suggested it was...
    Last edited by chaim; 12-18-2014 at 07:12 AM.