Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: East Texas: The Henley Tour - Border Members' Trips to Don's Old Stomping Grounds

Default East Texas: The Henley Tour - Border Members' Trips to Don's Old Stomping Grounds

Houston Baby and I decided to do a Henley version of the Elvis fan pilgrimage to Memphis. We saw a few sights and thought it would be a good idea to start a thread where people who have visited Linden and Caddo Lake, who wish to visit it, or who simply find it interesting, could post their experiences and comment on other people's. Here goes...

LINDEN
    Don's hometown!

Stop #1: Music City Texas Theater

This place used to be an American Legion Hall, and still bears the seal above the door. Back in the day, Don Henley's band The Four Speeds played here, as did many other local bands. It fell into disrepair, but a few years ago was refurbished by Don's friend Richard Bowden into a music venue. They apparently give tours, although the lady who was supposed to show us around failed to arrive. We took photos outside instead!

Stop #2: Linden's Courthouse

The oldest courthouse in Texas was a bit run-down until Don Henley stepped in! Here's how it looks now:

Stop #3: Linden Dairy Queen
    In a live version of "Talking to the Moon", Don prefaces the song by talking about how he and his friends would go hang out at the Dairy Queen parking lot on a regular basis. They'd spend hours sitting on their car hoods, drinking beers, and watching the trucks go by - "Wondering where they were going to."

Stop #4: Linden-Kildare High School

The football coach at this high school may have given Don a hard time, but his English teacher encouraged him and he first played drums in marching band. Go Tigers!

CADDO LAKE
    Don has worked hard to further efforts to conserve Caddo Lake, only a few miles away from where he grew up, and a place he often visited.

Stop #1: Potter's Point
    Don stated in an interview that he and his father often fished here.

And you know that on a personal level, I couldn't resist getting a photo at Soda Bluff, located in Potter's Point!

Stop #2: Caddo Lake State Park

Potter's Point above isn't actually in the park itself. In order to really enjoy the lake you have to go to the state park. This is also where Don filmed parts of his "Taking You Home" video.

It's gorgeous! HB took many photos. Here's a few:

Has anyone else had the opportunity to visit the area? Does anyone perhaps know some more fun spots to see around there?

We personally had a great experience!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border Houston Baby's Avatar

Default Re: East Texas: The Henley Tour

This was such a fun & interesting road trip! Though I am a native Texan I had never been this deep into East Texas. I now understand Don's love of Caddo Lake, it is so beautiful & peaceful. I would really like to go back there. Daylight was disappearing rapidly so we did not stay long.
    I didn't take a photo but right by the Linden sign was the Fast Lane Lube & Tire. Hope they got permission!

Thanks for those pictures Soda, it is a beautiful quiet place. Would love to visit.

So Put Me On A Highway And Show Me A Sign
    And Take It To The Limit One More Time..............

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Awesome Soda and HB! This looks like such a fun little excursion - I so wish I could have been there to share the experience with the two of you. I had no idea how beautiful Caddo Lake is ... you can't blame Don for wanting to preserve it.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

I haven't been to Texas (not counting a layover at the Dallas/Ft. Worth Airport this past May) for 10 years. I would love to go to Linden and Caddo Lake one day. I think its a 4 and a half hour drive to Linden from Mississippi(about 3 hours to Shreveport. Almost a straight drive until you get into Texas). One day I will get in my car and drive west.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

HB and Soda, what a cool thing to do! Lovin' Don's history tour!

I've driven to Ft. Worth and Austin two or three times but didn't have time to venture off to the east! Thanks so much for sharing it with us!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border Houston Baby's Avatar

Thanks everyone! It was definitely a fun trip! Linden is your typical quiet little country town. Soda & I had a hard time finding anything open. Only the grocery store, a Family Dollar store, Dairy Queen, a liquor store and Uncle Juan's Mexican Restaurant were open besides the gas stations. All the businesses and stores on the courthouse square were closed on Saturday except for Uncle Juan's. We ate there Saturday night and the food was really good. My mark of a good Mexican restaurant is their guacamole and theirs was excellent!!
    I thought Linden was a wonderful place to grow up especially if you were a boy. Lots of country roads, creeks, woods and lakes to explore. But as pleasant as Linden was, I can see why an ambitious and adventurous young boy such as Don was looking to escape.

Wow! What a treasure trove of photos!

Border Troubadour

That sounds like a wonderful trip, Soda and HB. Thank you for doing it vicariously for me and all Don fans!!! It looks like a beautiful place, no wonder he is so poetic, surrounded by pastoral inspiration.
    ...Well it sure makes you wonder the things that some people will say. They can see black and white but they don't seem to notice the grey...

Border Desperado SoaringRockyMountainWay's Avatar

That trip sounds really fun. The lake is so beautiful. I would love to go there some day. A cool Eagles-related trip that I took was to Winslow, Arizona. I stood on the corner saw the flat bed ford. I also went to the store across from the corner that sells Eagles stuff and of course the music that they play in that store is all Eagles.
    People talking about us they got nothing else to do. When it all comes down we will still come through in the long run.