Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Frey-less Eagles??? Was it ever considered?

Banned

Default Re: Frey-less Eagles??? Was it ever considered?

I'd definitely go to a Frey-less Eagles concert, just as I've attended and enjoyed solo shows when I've had the opportunity. In fact at this point anybody dropping out, barring my hero Joe, would lead to more interest in attending an Eagles concert, rather than less, I'd just have to see how they cope and witness the change in dynamics.

Up to the recent reduced set lists, I think there were 12 tracks that had never been dropped from the Eagles set list. Off the top of my head: Hotel California, Life In The Fast Lane, Life's Been Good, Heartache Tonight, Take It Easy, I Can't Tell You Why, I'm struggling, er, One Of These nights, Funk #49, Can I phone a friend? Desperado, Dirty Laundry, er.... what was the question again? This History Of The Eagles set list has thrown me, Love Will Keep Us Alive, maybe, Rocky Mountain way, maybe missed on the odd occasion, Tequila Sunrise could be another.

Of those, I'd say only Hotel California and Desperado are really essential. Glenn's quite capable of singing Desperado but who besides Henley could do Hotel California justice? Is that Felder with his hand up at the back?

I suppose Felder could sing Victim Of Love, Those Shoes or Heavy Metal in Henley's absence but I think they'd be a singer light without Glenn or Don.

I wonder if JD would ever sign up if the circumstances arose where he was asked. Jackson Browne covered for Felder once.

In 1990, it would have been a very unsatisfactory reunion without the whole band involved, unless it was with long time bassist, Randy rather than new boy, Timothy.

In 1980, it wouldn't have been a major upheaval, outside the band, for the Eagles to continue without Glenn, they'd already changed the line up 3 times in the previous 6 years. 4 times if you count the addition of Joe Vitale but I'm sure, within the confines of the band, they'd be a gang without a leader, lacking direction and confidence. I'd back them to overcome any difficulties though.

I'm going to ponder some set lists. One Frey less Eagles from around the early eighties and a HFO with Randy. Twice as many songs in the HFO setlist.

"Take It Easy" is also considered a definitive Eagles tune by many. The world wouldn't end if they left it out, but it would be missed.

I've heard Felder do "Take It Easy" and other Eagles songs and not to be unkind, but, well, it's not quite the same quality vocally. You might leave such an Eagles concert satisfied, but I have a feeling a lot of fans wouldn't.

I've heard Jackson Browne do "Take It Easy" and I've heard JD Souther do "New Kid in Town", "Heartache Tonight", and "Best of My Love". These are immensely talented men, but I couldn't help but feel it didn't sound "right." This is in part because the rockers were deliberately arranged to be more mellow, presumably to best fit their voices. I will say that Souther's version of "Doolin-Dalton" / "Doolin-Dalton Reprise" was amazing and moving, but it wasn't epic like the Eagles version.

Over on the Fleetwood Mac board I frequent, a similar discussion is going on about the Mac touring without Stevie... only, just like all other FM discussions, it's a lot more heated! lol! To be fair, it's being considered seriously rather than hypothetically, so you can't blame Stevie fans for getting really worked up. It's the same problem. Dropping some of their hits, having Christine trying to sing some of her leads... Some would be OK with it, but others would feel ripped off or not attend at all. Those who would be OK with it are primarily Lindsey and Christine fans - a few of whom loathe Stevie and are thrilled by the thought of a Stevie-less FM (again, you can see why it's heated) - but what about your general audience? Would they miss Dreams? Landslide? Rhiannon? I think so. Would Christine be able to pull off singing some of Stevie's songs? She could sing them note for note, even take them to a higher range to make them fit her voice better, but I think a lot of people would be disappointed.

They don't just want to hear the songs; they want to relive the records. There are rare occasions when a new lead singer on an old song satisfies these fans - "Take It to the Limit" gets a fantastic reception at shows. I'm not sure if the same would be true for Joe singing "Train Leaves Here This Morning" - it would be interesting for the hardcores, but most people would be going "huh?" In other words, most of the time, a new lead singer doesn't work. To have a set with several such songs would be problematic, IMHO.

To replace them with solo songs brings back the "Henley and backing band" danger, as does a setlist heavy with Henley vocals. Felder could do "Heavy Metal" I suppose... Joe could do more of his solo / James Gang songs... Timothy could do "Roxy's Eyes" maybe... it's starting not to sound like an Eagles show. Again, the hardcore might find it an interesting experience for novelty's sake. The general audience... not so much.

Thus, it would be quite difficult to maintain the same level of success, IMHO, with so many popular songs missing or sung by others. Those who would enjoy it are in the minority - we must remember that most of the seats are filled by casual fans.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Banned

When the Eagles did their first tour without Felder in Europe. A lot of people I spoke to thought it was Joe that had left.. the other guy didn't really do anything was an amusing logic.

By all account Eagles concerts appear to be getting better and better. They are great solo. They are even better together. I don't know how many Eagles you need on stage to make it better than a solo show. Five I'd put down as gluttony. That's the standard they set themselves but I don't think an audience of casual fans would expect that, even at the prices they charge.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    I'd definitely go to a Frey-less Eagles concert, just as I've attended and enjoyed solo shows when I've had the opportunity. In fact at this point anybody dropping out, barring my hero Joe, would lead to more interest in attending an Eagles concert, rather than less, I'd just have to see how they cope and witness the change in dynamics.

Up to the recent reduced set lists, I think there were 12 tracks that had never been dropped from the Eagles set list. Off the top of my head: Hotel California, Life In The Fast Lane, Life's Been Good, Heartache Tonight, Take It Easy, I Can't Tell You Why, I'm struggling, er, One Of These nights, Funk #49, Can I phone a friend? Desperado, Dirty Laundry, er.... what was the question again? This History Of The Eagles set list has thrown me, Love Will Keep Us Alive, maybe, Rocky Mountain way, maybe missed on the odd occasion, Tequila Sunrise could be another.

Of those, I'd say only Hotel California and Desperado are really essential. Glenn's quite capable of singing Desperado but who besides Henley could do Hotel California justice? Is that Felder with his hand up at the back?

I suppose Felder could sing Victim Of Love, Those Shoes or Heavy Metal in Henley's absence but I think they'd be a singer light without Glenn or Don.

I wonder if JD would ever sign up if the circumstances arose where he was asked. Jackson Browne covered for Felder once.

In 1990, it would have been a very unsatisfactory reunion without the whole band involved, unless it was with long time bassist, Randy rather than new boy, Timothy.

In 1980, it wouldn't have been a major upheaval, outside the band, for the Eagles to continue without Glenn, they'd already changed the line up 3 times in the previous 6 years. 4 times if you count the addition of Joe Vitale but I'm sure, within the confines of the band, they'd be a gang without a leader, lacking direction and confidence. I'd back them to overcome any difficulties though.

I'm going to ponder some set lists. One Frey less Eagles from around the early eighties and a HFO with Randy. Twice as many songs in the HFO setlist.
    I have to say I am very sorry you feel this way & perhaps you should put yourself in the position of someone who has Frey as their 'hero'. As long as your hero is there, you don't care who is in the band. Well, I want to see my hero, and I want to see the rest of the current lineup. With Felder, I saw him once. It didn't bother me when he left because he didn't sing any songs. That is not the case with any of the others, Frey especially.

What a shame it is that his own actions which VA mentioned about him singing fewer songs 'because we had Don Henley' seem in part to have led to him being treated as unimportant by many people who claim to be fans.

Another song which has never been dropped, unlike Dirty Laundry which isn't in the HOTE setlist, is Lyin' Eyes. Need I go on?

As for the second part I highlighted we are talking about the leader & founder of the Eagles. It would have been major. It wouldn't have worked.

I know that Soda is pleased this hasn't become heated but perhaps in the interests of balance we should start imagining the Eagles without Henley as well. You do mention that briefly. The bottom line is there is no Eagles without either of them.

I watched a clip of Don singing Already Gone and also another one. I think it was Peaceful Easy Feeling at one of his concerts. It was weird hearing Don singing those songs like Glenn singing Desperado. It sounded good, but it wasjust weird hearing the other singing a song they didn't originally sing. Much weirder with Don F singing Don and Glenn's songs.

Stuck on the Border

If there was a time for a Frey-less Eagles, I'd say it was around 1978 when Frey and Henley fell out. It would have seemed like a continuaton of the trend which had Frey singing fewer leads and playing less lead guitar. At that time, they had enough momentum to carry them through, so long as the material was good enough.

The real question is how they would have managed without Glenn's drive and energy.

Border Troubadour

Indeed, for all you could say about Frey's perhaps lesser vocal and guitar capability than some of the other members, you'd have to go a very, very long way to find someone who could lead the band so well publicly. Obviously Henley is on an equal footing image-wise, but is more of a studios legal eagle than an outgoing ferocious captain. Like TBS calls him, he's the fearless leader, the man who'd lay down his own sake for the band's, the man who would without question get your name up in lights. None of the other six Eagles could ever get close to that level of leadership.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by thelastresort View Post
    Indeed, for all you could say about Frey's perhaps lesser vocal and guitar capability than some of the other members, you'd have to go a very, very long way to find someone who could lead the band so well publicly. Obviously Henley is on an equal footing image-wise, but is more of a studios legal eagle than an outgoing ferocious captain. Like TBS calls him, he's the fearless leader, the man who'd lay down his own sake for the band's, the man who would without question get your name up in lights. None of the other six Eagles could ever get close to that level of leadership.
    Most of what you say is correct except for the 'lesser vocal capability'. In my humble opinion Glenn Frey is the equal of Henley vocally and superior to all the other band members in thiis department.

Don Felder is without doubt a very gifted guitarist....but definately not a gifted singer....

Stuck on the Border

On a message board, I saw the 1979/1980 Frey-Felder situation described as a "failed palace coup". I've no idea if this was based on knowledge or just speculation but the idea is intriguing. Felder denies trying to take control which makes me believe there must be something to it! If Felder had been able to get Henley on his side, what might have happened?