Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Frey-less Eagles??? Was it ever considered?

Banned

Default Re: Frey-less Eagles??? Was it ever considered?

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    I have to say I am very sorry you feel this way & perhaps you should put yourself in the position of someone who has Frey as their 'hero'.

I know that Soda is pleased this hasn't become heated but perhaps in the interests of balance we should start imagining the Eagles without Henley as well.
    Happy Christmas Freypower;

Henley's just retired so they've retained Bernie (hypothetical of course)

I wouldn't want to miss it

James Dean
    How Long
    Walk Away
    Hollywood Waltz (sung by Bernie)
    New Kid In Town
    I Can't Tell You Why

Saturday Night
    Bitter Creek
    Tequila Sunrise
    Love Will Keep Us Alive
    Twenty One
    Doolin Dalton (Bluegrass Reprise)
    Outlaw Man
    Desperado (sung by Glenn)

Journey Of The Sorceror
    Lying Eyes
    Pretty Maids All In A Row
    Peaceful Easy Feeling
    Life's Been Good
    Somebody
    In The City
    Already Gone
    Funk #49
    The Heat Is On
    Rocky Mountain Way
    Ol' 55
    Heartache Tonight
    I Don’t Wanna Hear Anymore
    Take It To The Limit

Seven Bridges Road
    Life In The Fast Lane (Sung by Joe)
    Hotel California Sung by Everyone)
    Take It Easy

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by shunlvswx View Post
    I watched a clip of Don singing Already Gone and also another one. I think it was Peaceful Easy Feeling at one of his concerts. It was weird hearing Don singing those songs like Glenn singing Desperado. It sounded good, but it was just weird hearing the other singing a song they didn't originally sing. Much weirder with Don F singing Don and Glenn's songs.
    Don's also performed I Can't Tell You Why, in the past. Tim's is still the best.

Glenn's done Rocky Mountain Way to celebrate the end of hostilities with Joe. Joe's sang Desperado and Life In The Fast Lane a lot and he did singing and slide, with Steve Winwood on a quaint version of Love Will Keep Us Alive at the Jim Capaldi tribute concert a few years ago. Pretty good singing The Best Of My Love with Sarah Evans too.

It's funny hearing about Felder criticising the averageness of Glenn's vocals for The Girl From Yesterday. I reckon every solo song Felder's ever released would be better sung by someone else and I like quite a few of them.

I do remember that clip of Joe singing The Best Of My Love with Sara Evans. It wasn't bad. I enjoyed it. I have seen a clip of Joe singing LITFL.

Actually I think it was Lyin' Eyes not PEF I saw a clip of Don singing.

I had not heard that the Eagles would have considered reuniting without both Don Henley and Glenn Frey as band members.

I would think that Don Henley would have had to think about whether the Eagles would once again tour as the Eagles after his having had a successful and continuing solo career after the Eagles disbanded. I would think that likewise that would be a consideration for Glenn Frey and his successful solo career. All of that is speculation about two solo careers and the scope of an Eagles reunion.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    On a message board, I saw the 1979/1980 Frey-Felder situation described as a "failed palace coup". I've no idea if this was based on knowledge or just speculation but the idea is intriguing. Felder denies trying to take control which makes me believe there must be something to it! If Felder had been able to get Henley on his side, what might have happened?
    Surely this is pure speculation. I'd be grateful if you could provide a source for this. The idea of Felder attempting to take 'control' of the Eagles is laughable.

To Lisa there was never any suggestion of the band reforming with neither Frey nor Henley. And again I have to stress that when Frey said no, there was no question of them reforming without him either.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    Happy Christmas Freypower;

Henley's just retired so they've retained Bernie (hypothetical of course)

I wouldn't want to miss it

James Dean
    How Long
    Walk Away
    Hollywood Waltz (sung by Bernie)
    New Kid In Town
    I Can't Tell You Why

Saturday Night
    Bitter Creek
    Tequila Sunrise
    Love Will Keep Us Alive
    Twenty One
    Doolin Dalton (Bluegrass Reprise)
    Outlaw Man
    Desperado (sung by Glenn)

Journey Of The Sorceror
    Lying Eyes
    Pretty Maids All In A Row
    Peaceful Easy Feeling
    Life's Been Good
    Somebody
    In The City
    Already Gone
    Funk #49
    The Heat Is On
    Rocky Mountain Way
    Ol' 55
    Heartache Tonight
    I Don’t Wanna Hear Anymore
    Take It To The Limit

Seven Bridges Road
    Life In The Fast Lane (Sung by Joe)
    Hotel California Sung by Everyone)
    Take It Easy
    F50 I appreciate your attempt to do this but I must again stres this wouldn't work either. All those classic Henley vocals gone? Sorry, no.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    Surely this is pure speculation. I'd be grateful if you could provide a source for this. The idea of Felder attempting to take 'control' of the Eagles is laughable.
    Probably just speculation but interesting as a "what if?" scenario. At that time, there may have been some drug-induced paranoia.

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

I've read bits and pieces in a lot of different places, and put them together and given it some thought. It was briefly mentioned in the HOTE documentary as well. Felder would be all buddy-buddy with Glenn and tell him things Henley was doing that he knew Glenn wouldn't like. Then he'd do the same with Henley about Glenn. He was always trying to play one off against the other, and the words used in the documentary supported the idea, to me, that it was for control. I never got the impression that he was trying to get control of the band, but he was trying to be one of two against the other.

If anyone remembers the bits in HOTE, please provide the words. Otherwise, it'll have to wait until I get time to watch the DVD again. I think most of the other things I remember reading may have been in Eliot's book, I'll have to do some research to find it all again.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa View Post
    I had not heard that the Eagles would have considered reuniting without both Don Henley and Glenn Frey as band members.
    Actually I don't think it's disputed that Randy, Don F and Joe were so pissed off at Glenn and Don during the recording of Hotel California that they agreed to jump ship when the album cycle was complete. After it's astonishing reception, Joe and Don decided to stick with Glenn and Don and shafted Randy.

Didn't Felder say that he thought that the Eagles broke on the day he became an official member but was told that that's the way they worked in the studio.

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire
    On a message board, I saw the 1979/1980 Frey-Felder situation described as a "failed palace coup".
    Felder denies trying to take control which makes me believe there must be something to it!
    I chortled a bit when I heard that Walsh's involvement, in the pre HFO Scmit/Felder/Walsh project, ended (I wonder if Randy or Bernie were invited?) when Felder decided he couldn't work with drunk Joe.

Is/was Felder big enough to call that shot?

Joe's been box office since he first set foot on stage in his college days! Even now, Felder relies on Hotel California and the Eagles to garner attention.

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire
    If Felder had been able to get Henley on his side, what might have happened?
    One of the things I like about Don Henley is that he's like a faithful old dog. Loyal to the end. It's a great quality.

Before HFO, Joe was leading an ill-fated band of British musos;
    Frankie Miller (Suffered a massive brain hemorrhage in New York on August 25th 1994. He'd just attended an Eagles show as a guest of Joe),
    Ian Wallace (RIP), Chris Stewart and Nicky Hopkins (RIP) with Bill Szymczyk producing.

Joe's band did actually release some music. Apart from providing Love Will Keep Us Alive to the Eagles, I'm not aware of anything from Felder's project.

Stuck on the Border

From his book, Felder's project with Schmit and Walsh had a record deal but without Walsh, they couldnt get one. On that note, there's a 1992 interview with Frey where he notes that he and Henley are the only Eagles with record deals and that alters attitudes.
    Last edited by UndertheWire; 12-26-2014 at 01:23 PM.