Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Profanity in Eagles Songs

Default Re: Profanity in Eagles Songs

We all swear from time to time. I just try not too. Ha!

So Put Me On A Highway And Show Me A Sign
    And Take It To The Limit One More Time..............

..this is such a "silly" subject when you compare the "profanity" of the Eagles' songs compared to what's out there now...

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Glennhoney View Post
    ..this is such a "silly" subject when you compare the "profanity" of the Eagles' songs compared to what's out there now...
    That is so very true. I guess it's why I don't let what there is interfere with my enjoyment of what they do. On stage, they don't say it in the chitchat between songs, either, which I very much appreciate.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by thelastresort View Post
    As a member of the younger generation here in the UK, I'm assuming we observe different people. Neither of my friend groups at university or at home swear to the extent you imply, even the most off the rails kids I went to school with drew the line well before telling their parents to F off. I swear a lot, probably too often, but never outside of a private conversation in public or to someone I don't personally know. This is just a reflection my ideolect instead of my upbringing or personality, I assure you I am about as far removed from being uncouth as is possible. If someone is willing to judge someone based on the language they use however, then in all honesty I do not hold in much regard what the person thinks of me.
    My comment was based on what I hear day to day. I realise that not all young people swear continually, but it is common to hear young people swearing. Weatherspoons pubs obviously felt it was bad enough that they introduced a list of 'banned' words which were not to be used in their bars(this was a few years ago). I don't necessarily blame the young people for swearing, 'cos it's often what they hear at home.
    As to judging someone by the language they use, what comes out of the mouth starts out in the brain........
    Just out of interest, TLR, can you explain to me why you swear a lot? do you feel it adds something to your conversation or is it purely a habit? or is there another reason?
    Last edited by StephUK; 12-29-2014 at 07:05 PM.

Border Troubadour

Quote Originally Posted by StephUK View Post
    Just out of interest, TLR, can you explain to me why you swear a lot? do you feel it adds something to your conversation or is it purely a habit? or is there another reason?
    The majority of my swearing is the way I cope best with certain things, like if I've done a lot of work on something only to find out I've done it wrong, saying a few choice words helps me cope with the realisation that I have to do it all over again, however I would very rarely do that in public. The rest of my swearing tends to be either as a spontaneous reaction or when there's simply no other word that will do (e.g. if a drunk flatmate is pestering me they will be told in no uncertain terms to **** off). In all honesty about 99% of any swearing I do depends on circumstance and company.

Quote Originally Posted by thelastresort View Post
    The majority of my swearing is the way I cope best with certain things, like if I've done a lot of work on something only to find out I've done it wrong, saying a few choice words helps me cope with the realisation that I have to do it all over again, however I would very rarely do that in public. The rest of my swearing tends to be either as a spontaneous reaction or when there's simply no other word that will do (e.g. if a drunk flatmate is pestering me they will be told in no uncertain terms to **** off). In all honesty about 99% of any swearing I do depends on circumstance and company.

From what you've said here, I wouldn't put you into the category I was talking about in my earlier post. We all utter a few swear words now & then when things go wrong or annoy us. I was refering to those young people who use the F word(mainly) in every conversation, and to describe everything. You mention you're at uni, well, when you finish & have to go to the JobCentre regularly, I guarantee you'll get a taste of what I mean! (unless you're lucky enough to find a job, that is)

Quote Originally Posted by Lacken101 View Post
    Thanks Freypower - totally agree with you about it being a huge mistake on his part - it seems really out of character for both him and Don to be singing that song - I listened to it twice and that's it.
    I had to purchase the entire album and listen to the two songs with Don multiple times in order to transcribe them for DonHenleyOnline. My ears were practically bleeding by the end of it. After that ordeal, I hated it so much that I wanted to douse it with gasoline in a metal bin and set it aflame. I restrained myself in the interest of fire safety. lol

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten