Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Profanity in Eagles Songs

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Default Re: Profanity in Eagles Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    I do like Business As Usual. Is the last "soul sucking" actually "soul sucking world" as it proclaims in the lyrics? It doesn't sound like an "s" to me.
    I've always thought it was an f too, F50.

And I don't care for any profanity anywhere either. Bothers me a lot. I don't sing the words when singing along with songs.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border

The "G-- language" doesn't bother me anymore, but it did when I was younger for some reason. I remember when I was about sixteen years old, and in one of my songs I was supposed to say "G-- it's been so long", but I couldn't. So I wrote and sang "Rod, it's been so long".
    It was, funnily enough, a song that reported the recorded history of Eagles from the debut album to the live album - mentioning also the Legend Of Eagles collection. I think the song was called "New kid in town". I didn't have anything to say, and I had discovered Eagles at that point and was a huge fan, so I wrote about it.
    Last edited by chaim; 12-23-2014 at 01:41 PM.

It should be noted that "Damn It, Rose" was written by Jackson Browne, although Don obviously had no problem singing it and he must have thought very highly of the song to include it on his album.

Funnily enough, Bernie's, "Vile And Profane Man" opts for the less profane "break wind".
    It also says "I don't give a G--D---" repeatedly and "that's too f---ing bad" once towards the end. I think it lives up to its name! It's interesting to note, however, that the printed lyric booklet replaces the latter with "that's very unfortunate", and that's what I put on the site. Bernie apparently feels it's OK to say it but not to write it!

I believe "Get Up Kate" was about James Taylor's sister. If I ever meet James Taylor's sister, do you think she'd mind chatting about almost having an Eagles song about her?
    She might mind chatting about some of the talents Glenn chose to highlight in the song, if it means what it seems to mean in some of the lines.

I do like Business As Usual. Is the last "soul sucking" actually "soul sucking world" as it proclaims in the lyrics? It doesn't sound like an "s" to me.
    I hear "soul-sucking" for all of it - the other never even occurred to me - and I think it's much more creative and illustrative than the alternative. Profanity is a lazy way to shock and lacks poetry.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Other profanities in Eagles or solo songs not previously mentioned, not including OMG types:

Eagles' "Get Over It"
    "kick its little ass"

Eagles' / Joe Walsh's "One Day at a Time":
    "too damn big of a mountain to climb"

Joe Walsh's "Made Your Mind Up"
    "Damn these strained relations"

Joe Walsh's "The Confessor":
    "You can damn near judge the distance"

Joe Walsh's "The Friend Song":
    "so damn busy"

Joe Walsh's "The Worry Song":
    "the sun's too damn bright"

Joe Walsh's "Good Man Down"
    "throw shit"

Joe Walsh's "Shut Up", towards the very end:
    "shut the f--- up!"

Joe Walsh's "Analog Man"
    "some 10 year old smart ass has to tell me what to do"

Joe Walsh's "And the Band Played On":
    "A lot of shit out there"
    "We're up shit creek without a paddle"
    "Everybody's got their heads up their asses"

Joe Walsh's "Fishbone"
    "The damn thing won't come out"

Don Henley's "Johnny Can't Read"
    "kickin' ass and takin' down names"

Don Henley's "Garden of Allah":
    "It's so damn hot"

Don Henley's "I Will Not Go Quietly":
    "Don't you give a damn?"

Timothy B. Schmit's "Voices":
    "I'm just too damn lazy"

Randy Meisner's "Nothing Is Said 'Til the Artist Is Dead"
    "Good lovin' is so damn hard to find"

Randy Meisner's "Tonight" (written by Adams/Vallance)
    "Your ass is on the line"

Don Felder's "Money":
    "The whole damn country seems to crash land"

Bernie Leadon's "Everybody Want":
    "I got to take care of my own shit first"

Special mention: "The Man" by Randy Newman, which appears on his Faust soundtrack. Don Henley sings it as the title character. It's got vulgarities out the wazoo.

I think that about covers it.

Banned

Great work Sodascouts, "The Man" had me wincing too!

I've never contemplated "damn" as a curse and neither does Joe by his willingness to use it.

You've mixed up GOTC with ODAAT if you don't mind me mentioning it.

I'm off to listen to "Shut Up" again. I can't believe Joe sings "Shut the f**k up". I've listened and listened and listened but I've never been able to find it. I thought Joe was a family guy.

Can anybody please tell me exactly when it happens. After "Band Played On" that horse has bolted. Joe's officially a potty mouth.

I never realised Jackson wrote Damn It Rose. I kinda lost interest after Barricades Of Heaven (which I love)

Stuck on the Border

Damn It, Rose, was written by Don Henley & Stan Lynch. I'm sorry, Soda, but I have no idea where you get that. Your own site has it listed corerctly.

http://www.donhenleyonline.com/solo/...damnitrose.htm

And in Business As Usual it IS 'soul sucking' world.

The word 'damn' is so mild these days that I can't really understand why anyone would find it offensive but to each their own.

Stuck on the Border

Great work Sodascouts, "The Man" had me wincing too!

I've never contemplated "damn" as a curse and neither does Joe by his willingness to use it.

You've mixed up GOTC with ODAAT if you don't mind me mentioning it.

I'm off to listen to "Shut Up" again. I can't believe Joe sings "Shut the f**k up". I've listened and listened and listened but I've never been able to find it. I thought Joe was a family guy.

Can anybody please tell me exactly when it happens. After "Band Played On" that horse has bolted. Joe's officially a potty mouth.

I never realised Jackson wrote Damn It Rose. I kinda lost interest after Barricades Of Heaven (which I love)
    It's right at the very end, and Joe wasn't a 'family guy' when he wrote the song. It's also possible to be a 'family guy' & to have a 'potty mouth' as you put it. Do you think my husband, who is English, was going to stop swearing when he married me?

Sorry for my embarrassing errors. I don't know what I was thinking! Thank you both for setting the record straight.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower
    It's also possible to be a 'family guy' & to have a 'potty mouth'
    FP, I see your point. However, many people do believe that once someone has had kids, they think a bit more about what they say and tend to be a bit more careful to avoid profanities. I don't judge you or your husband if that's not the case with you two, but many people with children don't cuss as much, at least not where the children can hear them.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Honestly, the profanity in their songs doesn't bother me much unless it gets excessive (a good example being The Man and some of today's Rap music). Sometimes it's pointless to include it, but there are times when, right or wrong, it's done to make a point or for emphasis. My feeling is it may not really be necessary most of the time, but I just overlook it as long as it doesn't get overly offensive. Everyone has to decide for themselves when something offends them to the point that they won't listen.

And while I agree that most folks may tame their language around kids, I don't think it's fair at all to make a value judgment that someone who swears isn't a "family man".

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    Honestly, the profanity in their songs doesn't bother me much unless it gets excessive (a good example being The Man and some of today's Rap music). Sometimes it's pointless to include it, but there are times when, right or wrong, it's done to make a point or for emphasis. My feeling is it may not really be necessary most of the time, but I just overlook it as long as it doesn't get overly offensive. Everyone has to decide for themselves when something offends them to the point that they won't listen.

And while I agree that most folks may tame their language around kids, I don't think it's fair at all to make a value judgment that someone who swears isn't a "family man".
    Agreed on both points. This is what I should have said.