Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Profanity in Eagles Songs

Default Re: Profanity in Eagles Songs

I don't take very much notice of the swearing etc in the Eagles songs. It's nothing compared to what we hear in England each & every day. The younger generation (a category which I definitely don't fall into anymore) can't speak without using the 'F' word in every sentence - they shout it in the street, and when they're on their mobile phones. They think it's clever; I just think it shows how ignorant and uncouth they are.
    They also say 'Jesus Christ' & 'God Almighty' as swear words, which I hate to hear. I'm not too keen on the American use of 'Goddam' either.

Sadly, you can get so used to hearing swearing that you almost don't notice it.

When I've been in the US I've noticed that there's much less swearing over there, and the kids are better behaved. Over here they even tell their parents to F*** off. I hope for the sake of all of you in the US that your country never sinks to the 'swearing' level of the UK

Border Desperado

And hey, The UK did give us Gordon Ramsay

Quote Originally Posted by BillBailey1976 View Post
    And hey, The UK did give us Gordon Ramsay
    Please don't hold that against us

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    The word 'damn' is so mild these days that I can't really understand why anyone would find it offensive but to each their own.
    It's a word I use pretty often. In fact, on the trip to PA tonight I used it at least 800 times as I listened to my Pens lose to Tampa.

I don't have a problem with most of the words on that last list. Ones that use God and definitely those that use the word Jesus have problems with. The 'F' word, well, I use it in its literal sense and seldom as a curse word. It's overused and lacks imagination.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Border Troubadour

Quote Originally Posted by StephUK View Post
    I don't take very much notice of the swearing etc in the Eagles songs. It's nothing compared to what we hear in England each & every day. The younger generation (a category which I definitely don't fall into anymore) can't speak without using the 'F' word in every sentence - they shout it in the street, and when they're on their mobile phones. They think it's clever; I just think it shows how ignorant and uncouth they are.
    They also say 'Jesus Christ' & 'God Almighty' as swear words, which I hate to hear. I'm not too keen on the American use of 'Goddam' either.

When I've been in the US I've noticed that there's much less swearing over there, and the kids are better behaved. Over here they even tell their parents to F*** off. I hope for the sake of all of you in the US that your country never sinks to the 'swearing' level of the UK
    As a member of the younger generation here in the UK, I'm assuming we observe different people. Neither of my friend groups at university or at home swear to the extent you imply, even the most off the rails kids I went to school with drew the line well before telling their parents to F off. I swear a lot, probably too often, but never outside of a private conversation in public or to someone I don't personally know. This is just a reflection my ideolect instead of my upbringing or personality, I assure you I am about as far removed from being uncouth as is possible. If someone is willing to judge someone based on the language they use however, then in all honesty I do not hold in much regard what the person thinks of me.

Quote Originally Posted by StephUK View Post

This is quite interesting! I also take into account thelastresort's perspective, but as an American who has visited the UK and watches a lot of UK programming, I can tell you that what is allowed on British television regarding curse words is so much more liberal than what is allowed in the States that one could get the impression that at least comparatively, what StephUK says would be the perception here IF Americans were exposed to that kind of British television. I can't speak for common usage, just for media usage.

That being said, such programs aren't shown in the States. The British programs shown here are the likes of adaptations of Pride and Prejudice, Hamlet and other Shakespearean works, Sherlock Holmes, etc... all perceived as sophisticated programs. The British literature we read and take entire survey classes on is also the height of sophistication as a rule; that's what makes it into our anthologies.

Curse words are not the same for the most part and are generally not in what we're exposed to from the UK, the likes of Gordon Ramsay being the exception rather than the rule. BBCAmerica, which does show such programs (although it also tones them down), is on the more expensive cable packages and many don't receive it.

Anyone who sees American adaptations of British programs - The Office (original) vs The Office (American), Broadchurch vs. Gracepoint, etc. can see what I mean.

Thus, the vast majority of the American public who have never seen the average UK program or been to the UK perceives British people as classier overall and British English (at least the "received pronunciation" we are exposed to) as more distinguished.

For other dialects, many Americans require subtitles. Even I struggle with thick Scottish accents and cockney. Many Americans do not consider them proper English, but rather quaint variations, lol.

Perhaps some of you in the UK may have experienced the scrunched up, confused face of an American tourist making a visible effort to understand English that is not RP.

This brings me to my next point. As someone - I think Dreamer - mentioned earlier, some Americans will use British curse words instead of American ones with the idea that they must not be as bad because they are British, and as a rule they perceive British English as more sophisticated.

Lest you think this post is an aside completely unrelated to the topic... Don Henley has used "arse" in interviews and "bloody and "fart" (in the context of an insult) in songs, none of which is considered profane in the US. Instead, they are comparable to "butt", "freaking", and "jerk" which I use - alternatives to what is considered vulgar in the States.

(I don't know why Don used "snog" instead of "making out", though! That's not considered a vulgar phrase in the US. Perhaps in 2007 he had a thing for Briticisms.)

Now, I'm speaking in generalities, and this is not the case for ALL Americans - just the vast majority that I come into contact with as a teacher of British literature and History of the English Language.

I realize this post is getting into the "too long to read" category, so I'll stop now!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

But one more thing... I do understand that what is considered profane is entirely dependent on cultural norms and thus can vary greatly from culture to culture, or even from generation to generation in the same culture.

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Another word of questionable use is 'jagoff' in Those Shoes. Since it's not a term that most are familiar with, most of the published lyrics say 'jerk-off'. To someone familiar with the term, it's pretty clear even on vinyl. While the link below makes it seem pretty tame, it's not a term used in polite company, and it's not something anyone wants to be called.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jagoff
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

This is the first time I have ever heard anyone believe that word to be "jagoff" and I've never seen it in a published set of lyrics (although certainly I could have missed one - perhaps you have seen one with those lyrics?)

I'm not saying you're wrong, but... I think that saying it's "pretty clear" might be an overstatement. I don't hear it and dismissing the overwhelming majority - if not all - of the published lyrics as simply ignorant of what is really being said might be a bit hasty.

This is especially true since the word seems to be predominately used in Pittsburgh rather than areas where any of the songwriters spent time, at least to my knowledge.

Again, perhaps you're right - they could have picked up the term from a Pittsburgh native - did you hear Don say something about it? It wouldn't be the first time I've heard lyrics incorrectly!

Banned

Yep, disgust is a totally taught concept.

I remember Phil Collins talking about acting in Miami Vice during the 80s. In one scene he muttered the word "damn" under his breath and they yelled "Cut! Phil you can't say that" then in another scene he was directed to use one of those English words, "call him a wanker or something". Still a rarity to hear that word on UK tv.

Another shocker was that nice Richard Marx singing Pink's "Perfect" on one of his vlogs. He did apologise straight afterwards though "sorry for the f bombs guys but it's such a great song."

Seeing how much the Eagles love to see young kids at their concerts, I wonder if they would say that their material is designed to appeal to a family audience. Their ticket prices certainly don't. Maybe the tone down the language when they see youngsters in the audience. Their audience demographic is definitely old.

I think the language used in the media has changed a lot since the Eagles were writing all their hits so I suppose they're just reflecting the times with the lyrics to their more recent material. In real life, probably 'twas ever thus.

I've just remembered a story from this year. A radio presenter was sacked by the BBC, from his oldies request show after playing an ancient version of "The Sun Has Got His Hat On" which included a rather unfortunate old colonial reference. Apparently it would've been ok if it was spelled "niggaz"

Edit - This is the first time I've encountered the term Jag-off and I've listened to Those Shoes hundreds of times. I thought I knew all the words.