Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Profanity in Eagles Songs

Border Desperado

Default Re: Profanity in Eagles Songs

I was just watching the "Live in New Zealand" video, the concert in the pouring rain....Glenn, during "Already Gone" right where it should say "whooohoohoo..my my...whoohoohoo"...says "whoohoohoo, gd, whoohoohoo"
    This was kind of shocking. I guess I hadn't sat through the whole video before.
    Also, on the HFO Second night, Don, in referring to messing up the lyrics to Get Over It, says "well, I F----d that up"...

That made me wonder if this was normal at Eagles concerts, or if these were isolated events. I have been twice, and don't recall it at the shows I was at, or at any other shows I have seen or heard on video or audio.

Those were two pretty extreme situations. I've been to a fair amount of shows, and cussing is the exception rather than the rule... except, of course, the ones in the lyrics. I was surprised to read in the thread that on occasion, Don has not sung GD in "Life in the Fast Lane." I've never heard that word dropped from a performance as some in this thread have.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BillBailey1976 View Post
    I was just watching the "Live in New Zealand" video, the concert in the pouring rain....Glenn, during "Already Gone" right where it should say "whooohoohoo..my my...whoohoohoo"...says "whoohoohoo, gd, whoohoohoo"
    This was kind of shocking. .
    Just as Joe's about to launch into Amazing Grace, his intro to Rocky Mountain Way, you can clearly hear Glenn, although he's off mic, telling Joe to "F**k the intro". On reflection he could've said "Cut the intro" but I never checked.

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    Those were two pretty extreme situations. I've been to a fair amount of shows, and cussing is the exception rather than the rule... except, of course, the ones in the lyrics. I was surprised to read in the thread that on occasion, Don has not sung GD in "Life in the Fast Lane." I've never heard that word dropped from a performance as some in this thread have.
    I wouldn't say he drops it, more like he suddenly has a mouthful of mashed potatoes when singing it. It's not enunciated clearly. He did it at the Raleigh concert and a couple of others I've been to. It's usually pretty clear. It's the word in the lyrics and we all know they like to stick to the original as much as possible. As much as I don't like it, changing it to something else would irritate me as well.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    Just as Joe's about to launch into Amazing Grace, his intro to Rocky Mountain Way, you can clearly hear Glenn, although he's off mic, telling Joe to "F**k the intro". On reflection he could've said "Cut the intro" but I never checked.
    It is 'f**k the intro'. Grown men who are also rock stars swear. Who would have thought it. Object to it as much as you like, but it's hardly a surprise.

I'm not judgmental so I don't have a problem with Profanity, Beside there are much worse in other songs.

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    It is 'f**k the intro'. Grown men who are also rock stars swear. Who would have thought it. Object to it as much as you like, but it's hardly a surprise.
    I've not noticed it confined to rock stars!
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

I don't have a problem with profanity in songs - most of the time I don't even notice it until someone points it out or its a particularly bad word....

The fact that the Eagles use mild swear words in their songs and in some interviews just shows that they are normal human beings like the rest of us. In fact they are fairly tame these days compared to some other rock stars. I would find it weird if they didn't use swear words in general - they are rock stars after all!!

Soda mentioned a song called 'The Man' that Randy Newman and Don Henley sing - I had never heard of it so I looked it up (it was hard enough to find....thankfully) - now that song is just all kinds of wrong especially when you hear Don singing it - it just makes me cringe with embarrassment - what was the point of that song ???
    "The more I know, the less I understand...."

Don't crack up, bend your brain, see both sides, throw off your mental chains"

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Lacken101 View Post
    I don't have a problem with profanity in songs - most of the time I don't even notice it until someone points it out or its a particularly bad word....

The fact that the Eagles use mild swear words in their songs and in some interviews just shows that they are normal human beings like the rest of us. In fact they are fairly tame these days compared to some other rock stars. I would find it weird if they didn't use swear words in general - they are rock stars after all!!

Soda mentioned a song called 'The Man' that Randy Newman and Don Henley sing - I had never heard of it so I looked it up (it was hard enough to find....thankfully) - now that song is just all kinds of wrong especially when you hear Don singing it - it just makes me cringe with embarrassment - what was the point of that song ???
    It has to do with the character of Faust in Newman 's adaptation of the classic story; the man sells his soul to the devil. Don is singing Faust. It's a character, and it is completely unrepresentative of Newman's work. It was a huge mistake on his part & I never listen to it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faust

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    It has to do with the character of Faust in Newman 's adaptation of the classic story; the man sells his soul to the devil. Don is singing Faust. It's a character, and it is completely unrepresentative of Newman's work. It was a huge mistake on his part & I never listen to it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faust
    Thanks Freypower - totally agree with you about it being a huge mistake on his part - it seems really out of character for both him and Don to be singing that song - I listened to it twice and that's it.
    "The more I know, the less I understand...."

Don't crack up, bend your brain, see both sides, throw off your mental chains"