Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Songs you don't like by bands you like?

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

Default Re: Songs you don't like by bands you like?

[QUOTE=Freypower;293172]Les Boys is peculiar. I like the ambience of it and in a way it's a bit of relief at the end of the jaw-dropping magnificence of that album, my second favourite album after Revolver. It also annoys me that Mark mispronounces 'Mercedes'. However.... I don't know. The Cabaret style piano is very effective.

I am not a fan of Love Over Gold or It Never Rains (my least favourite DS album). Neither of those songs go anywhere, no matter how hard I try. Then there is On Every Street. My Parties... WHY?

I love Hangin' On A Limb. Freedom is my second favourite Young album after Rust Never Sleeps. But there are a lot of his songs, particularly the endless Crazy Horse 'jams' that are just self-indulgent.

I'm not the world's biggest Fleetwood Mac fan but a couple of Christine McVie songs, Sugar Daddy & Oh Daddy (HMMM) I don't like much.

I like Shiny Happy People. I don't like the Monster album, Murmur is overrated & so is Automatic For The People. Ignoreland & Star Me Kitten are not good tracks.

You don't mention the Beatles. There are only a couple - Revolution 9, Little Child, Dizzy Miss Lizzy. That's it.

As for Led Zeppelin I could perhaps do without Moby Dick & Bonzo's Montreux. That's it.
    [QUOTE]

I must admit Love Over Gold is my personal favourite Dire Straits album - this is in no small part due to containing Telegraph Road, which is my favourite individual song by them. I find the title track beautiful but can understand why you feel it doesn't go anywhere, I do love It Never Rains though - the bitterness of the lyrics reminds me of Like A Rolling Stone and the song builds to what I find to be a great Knopfler guitar solo. As for My Parties I agree it's not their best but I like the lines 'let's hear it for the dolphin, let's hear it for the trees, Ain't running out of nothing in my deep freeze' which I think it is funny and effective at mocking superficial attitudes towards protecting the environment.

I don't regard Hangin' On A Limb as terrible, I can certainly listen to it although I think the very line chaim mentions is the one that bothers me most. I should probably listen to it again and see if my views have changed in light of this. I like Freedom overall although I think it sounds a bit dated on a couple of tracks (Someday in particular), the best material is brilliant though - I was thrilled when I saw Neil Young & Crazy Horse last summer play Rockin' In The Free World.

I totally get where you're coming from about self-indulgence, the concert I went to was great and the performance of Like A Hurricane was terrific, but the several minutes of Neil shredding off his guitar strings at the end wasn't entirely necessary (songs like the original Like A Hurricane and Cortez The Killer find a good balance between jamming and lyrical content I think).

One Neil Young I managed to forget was Transformer Man - I do NOT like his distorted electronic voice on that song. I can understand why he went for that but I don't enjoy it. I think the voice rather than the song is the problem there, I really don't mind the acoustic Unplugged version of it at all.

With Fleetwood Mac I am mainly a fan of the self-titled and Rumours albums. I love all the tracks from Rumours - Oh Daddy I find to be very well produced with an excellent arrangement. Sugar Daddy is okay, I don't tend to listen to it outside of the album but it's pleasant enough. I agree with WalshFan88 in not being a fan of the Tango In The Night era though I think Little Lies is one of the better songs from that album - the studio version of Big Love is pretty yucky IMO, and the less said the better about When I See You Again (What' the matter baby? What's the matter baby? What's the matter baby?... It just gets annoying, not sure why anyone thought that was a good idea, and normally I love Stevie's voice!)

I would say that Automatic for the People is a little overrated although I do absolutely love the last three songs from that album - Man On The Moon, Nightswimming and Find The River, I think those three songs are full of charm and they are the main reason I like the band. I agree that Ignoreland and Star Me Kitten aren't very good - R.E.M. don't rock out well IMO, they are better performing ballads or mid-tempo songs.

As for the Beatles... I'm not the greatest fan of them myself. Their music just doesn't trip my switch although I will admit that they have many great songs and cannot deny their influence on artists or bands I like. Liverpool is just 15 minutes away from where I live, many people would love to be this close to their home city yet I'm not that bothered! I wouldn't disagree with Revolution 9 - it is possibly the track for this thread. I once read of one person who owns The White Album on vinyl who dislikes the song so much he has always skipped to the next track, adjusting the needle every time it comes up.

I can see you're not much of fan of extended John Bonham drum solos FP . I rather like Moby Dick myself, I think Page's riff is great and the drum solo is one of the better ones I've heard. I don't have Coda so don't really hold a strong opinion on Bonzo's Montreux (I will probably get it in due course, though I avoid buying albums for the sake of having a complete set which I guess goes back to where I started to some extent).

Stuck on the Border

Johnny Come Lately, Neil Young's "Someday" is another lyric I love! Well, partially at least. The "They're pipin' music in. We all have to sin someday" bit, especially, is great in terms of melody and chords.

Stuck on the Border

JCL, I should clarify that John Bonham is my favourite drummer but if I had to pick a couple of Zep tracks that I can do without, being pragmatic it had to be those two. The other would be Hats Off To (Roy) Harper. I don't get it.

I do hope you post in the Dire Straits thread soon as I don't want to start raving about them. I have to be in the mood for Telegraph Road. You are probably right about It Never Rains. I may be unfair to it. For me the entire album is dominated by the superb Industrial Disease.

I feel I should mention the Bee Gees who I loved with a passion. However they overdid the falsetto which admittedly revived their career. The obvious example to use is Tragedy but it has such a great riff & decent lyrics so I will plump for Too Much Heaven.