Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Top 5 individual Eagles performances

Border Troubadour

Default Top 5 individual Eagles performances

Apologies if this has been done already, please guide me to the relevant thread if it has.

Anyway, I was mooching through YouTube before and all the Eagles footage on there and it got me to thinking about what my top 5 individual performaces by the band would be. After a lot of contemplation they are as follows:

5) Take It Easy at California Jam, 1974
    I love this performance of the song: the huge audience, beautiful weather, the actual execution of the song, Jackson's piano and Glenn's little vocal improvs at the end

4) The Boys of Summer at Melbourne, 2004
    The best version I've found of this. There's just something about it where everything clicks into place perfectly, I love Steuart's outro solo too

3) Outlaw Man at Seattle, 1975
    Don Felder, enough said. To expand though, I love Glenn demonstrating his array of abilities (how many other songs did he sing lead on whilst playing piano live?), Henley's excellent drumming and Felder's simply amazing guitar work at the end

2) Doolin-Dalton / Doolin-Dalton/Desperado (Reprise) at DKRC, 1974
    I adore this song, and it's so wonderful to have back in the day footage of them performing it. The extended Desperado shootout footage, all four of them absolutely going for it vocally at the end and the reworked intro to Doolin-Dalton are my favourite bits

1) New Kid in Town at Washington, 1977
    As close to a perfect Eagles performance as I've seen. Glenn's vocals are dead on, Henley's harmonising and minimalist drumming are superb, Randy's input on the choruses and outro is what made him such an asset, rare footage of Joe playing something other than a guitar (and very well!) and Felder's tasteful lead additions combined with the excellent last 90~ seconds of the actual song all collide to form this. Mesmerising.

Anyone else?

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Default Re: Top 5 individual Eagles performances

I've never seen numbers 2 and 3 on your list, but I very definitely agree with your #1. That's the one I would have picked as well.

Unfortunately, I don't spend a lot of time on You Tube searching for videos, so I don't have many performances to pick from except the ones I've actually seen live. I'd have to think about that list, but I'm pretty sure the Sept. 2, 2012 performance of Desperado in Atlantic City would be on my top 5 list. It's not my favorite song, but that was an awesome performance. I'll think about the rest...
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Out on the Border

#1 Take it to the limit Washington 1977

1. Hotel California - Washington 1977 (it's just flat out amazing, Felder and Walsh's guitar interplay is amazing as ever and such a great overall performance, the best on the disc IMO)

2. Already Gone - Christchurch 1995 (I really like this one with Felder and Glenn trading licks and the rain adds a new dimension! )

3. Take It Easy - HFO DVD (my personal favorite version of this song, Walsh's extended solo at the end is ace)

4. Take It To The Limit - Washington 1977 (just a great performance and a great example of Randy's voice)

5. One Of These Nights - Christchurch 1995 (my favorite of OOTN because it seems like it was a really tight performance and I dig Henley's voice more in this video)

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Great topic tlr. Unfortunately, there's just no way I think I can pick just five especially if I factor in live performances that I've attended. I'll also have to give this one more thought to see if any standout in my mind. I will agree that the '77 DC performances released with the HOTE DVD are all spectacular. I think one that would definitely make my list is Take It Easy from that show.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post

2. Already Gone - Christchurch 1995 (I really like this one with Felder and Glenn trading licks and the rain adds a new dimension! )
    Nailed it, Austin. I know this thread is meant to be based purely on musical performance, but that sure is hard to choose when it comes to the Eagles and their renowned consistency. This is the one that immediately came to my mind as a favorite purely because of the crazy conditions and the level of interaction between the guys. The look Timothy gives Glenn at 3:10...Felder and Henley grinning... Glenn yelling "goddammit!"....Timothy looks like he's in a freakin' hurricane at 2:15. This is a classic. I'm glad they made it out alive!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gObUFdb9SFw

Great thread but picking five will be really hard! I'll have to give it some more thought.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

The 1973 BBC In Concert performance rates highly with me. It's just the original four and they sound so good. They're also young and skinny, ernest and nervous and so clean and shiny. You can see the concentration and the way they're looking out for each other. I love the bits in between where they swap guitars and places. As I'm lazy, I'm going to stick with that and rank the songs.

1. Peaceful Easy Feeling
    2. Witchy Woman
    3. Take it Easy
    4. Certain Kind of Fool
    5. Earlybird (for that duelling banjo and guitar at the end)

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MaryCalifornia View Post
    Nailed it, Austin. I know this thread is meant to be based purely on musical performance, but that sure is hard to choose when it comes to the Eagles and their renowned consistency. This is the one that immediately came to my mind as a favorite purely because of the crazy conditions and the level of interaction between the guys. The look Timothy gives Glenn at 3:10...Felder and Henley grinning... Glenn yelling "goddammit!"....Timothy looks like he's in a freakin' hurricane at 2:15. This is a classic. I'm glad they made it out alive!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gObUFdb9SFw
    Well, MC, I'm thinking that we are to picking the top 5 musical performances, and part of the performance is the interaction between the band members and even between the band members and audience. Anything else is just a recording...right?
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Border Troubadour

Rank on whatever basis you like guys, just so long as it was specific to that performance.