Thread: The documentary and board statistics?

Stuck on the Border

Default The documentary and board statistics?

In a tour thread, a new joiner mentioned becoming obsessed with the band after watching the documentary, something I can understand. Elsewhere, I read a comment that "Don and Glenn had shot themselves in the foot with the documentary" which had me talking back with "You think?" Going by recent ticket sales, the doc has done a good job of rekindling interest in the band. This had me wondering how else you could measure the impact.

Soda, do you have any thoughts on traffic and trends in membership and posts on this board?

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

Default Re: The documentary and board statistics?

I asked Soda that question, if she noticed a jump in new members after the doc aired, and she said, "definitely." We'll see if she has any good info for us...

Some may think Don and Glenn "shot themselves in the foot" in that their appearances in the doc served to solidify some people's perceptions of them. As far as concert attendance and interest in the band, I think it only helped them to book more sold out shows after sold out shows!!

Yes, we had a significant increase in traffic immediately after the documentary - we had several hundred more lurkers than usual (figures adjusted for "bots"). We also had a spate of new members join. Now, two years later, we're back to around 300-400 visitors in a day, but that's still higher than the old days.

The thing is, no matter how you feel about Don and/or Glenn, you're going to hear all those fantastic songs in the documentary. That brings back the love no matter what.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

Thanks, Soda. That was my impression. I'm sure Glenn and Don (and
    Irving!) are very happy with the results. I doubt they place much value on youtube comments whereas ticket sales are measurable.

Border Desperado SoaringRockyMountainWay's Avatar

I had never really heard of the Eagles before the documentary. As soon as I saw it, my Eagles obsession began. I'm so glad they made it otherwise I would never know the great awesomeness of the Eagles!
    People talking about us they got nothing else to do. When it all comes down we will still come through in the long run.

I knew of the Eagles for years, but I didn't become a fan until after the documentary aired. I first heard of them in 1994 for HFO then I stopped listening to them. I did have a few songs on my Mp3(mostly songs I knew and that were hits), but that was it. Showtime would air HOTE every single day. I didn't join this board until August of 2013.

I usually be in the phase with singers and bands for a while and then I go back to just listening to them when I feel like it. I do that a lot, but this "phase" has been going on for 2 years now. LOL I watch HOTE every day at work and I'm not sick of it yet.

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

In a curious coincidence I really got into the Eagles the same year that the documentary was released, although when I heard my first two Eagles albums (HC and OOTN) I had no idea that HOTE had only recently come out.

If the documentary has increased awareness (and more importantly appreciation) of the Eagles and their music then that can only be a good thing as far as I'm concerned.