Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Randy playing acoustic guitar in concert w/ Eagles

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Default Randy playing acoustic guitar in concert w/ Eagles

I saw this fetching photo online of Randy playing guitar during a 1976 Eagles concert. This is a long shot, but would anyone know what song it was?

I imagine it was a rare event for Randy to play guitar onstage when he was with the Eagles. This is the only example I've seen.

Border Troubadour

Default Re: Randy playing acoustic guitar in concert w/ Eagles

I'll throw some into the mix here: I went back through setlist.fm for 1976 and these are the only ones I don't know for certain Randy played bass on are the following, all of which would be a bit odd though: Too Many Hands (perhaps he found it easier to sing it that way?), You Never Cry Like a Lover, Carole, Train Leaves Here This Morning (he does in the BBC concert) and Blackberry Blossom...

Stuck on the Border

If the guitar is in standard tuning, it looks like Randy is playing a C#m7 chord. Too Many Hands and You Never Cry Like a Lover have no such chord. Train Leaves Here This Morning has (the first chord in the chorus), - although I think Glenn and Bernie played it as a triad - so it could be that one. Glenn and Bernie played it in E, but with a capo on the 2nd fret it means that Randy played it in D - if that was the song. Would make sense - one less barre chord to play!

Or maybe Randy did play a triad (no 7th), but this photo was taken right before he managed to place his little finger on the the 6th fret of the G-string!

I don't know "Carole" and "Blackberry Blossom", so I can't say anything about their chords...

(There's a small possibility that it's a G#7 chord, as it's not easy to be sure from this angle, but it's very unlikely. (If it's a G#7, TLHM is out too!)

Wow, good detective work, Chaim!

Come to think of it, I believe Randy played acoustic guitar on the studio version of "On the Border." I've never seen them play it live. But no, who would play the bass while Randy strummed his geetar - wouldn't have worked.

Banned

Are you sure it's from a 70s Eagles show MightMistBlue? It looks like an early 80s shot to me.

Border Troubadour

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    ... "On the Border." I've never seen them play it live. But no, who would play the bass while Randy strummed his geetar - wouldn't have worked.
    There's a good reason for having never seen them play OTB live

Bass in a broad sense links the guitar and drum parts in a song, which doesn't apply to TLHTM obviously. They perform it nowadays with no bass guitar (even though it is quite audible on the studio version), so it could have happened I suppose, if they fancied going super-acoustic.

Stuck on the Border

Come to think of it, I believe Randy played acoustic guitar on the studio version of "On the Border." I've never seen them play it live. But no, who would play the bass while Randy strummed his geetar - wouldn't have worked.
    I remember in my first copy of the first Eagles album it said "Randy Meisner: Bass, guitar". I thought that the comma could've been a mistake and it should have read "bass guitar". When Bernie was answering questions on his official forum ages ago, I asked if Randy played guitar in his songs. Bernie said that Randy wrote songs on acoustic guitar, but he doesn't remember Randy ever playing guitar in the studio. He said "I think I played those parts in Randy's songs". So Bernie would play the part Randy played when he wrote a song, and Glenn would come up with a rhythm part of his own.

So it's very unlikely that Randy ever played guitar (acoustic or electric) on the records. I wasn't even aware that there's an acoustic in OTB. I've only ever heard Glenn's and Bernie's electric guitars.

Stuck on the Border

My first thought was "are we sure it's from an Eagles concert".

I was taking the seller's word for it that the photograph was from a 1976 Eagles concert.

I'll try to dig deeper, i.e. haircut and setlist research.

Stuck on the Border

It looks like an Eagles concert to me. Perhaps it's BOML.