Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Randy's last show with the Eagles?

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Re: Randy's last show with the Eagles?

Well, as a fan, was I disappointed that Randy didn't join the Eagles on the HOTE tour? Absolutely! I had especially high hopes that he would make an appearance at the L.A. Forum shows in January '14, but it was not to be.

As we've said, we can speculate all we want, but the truth is we don't know all the reasons for this decision. But, as always, with the absence of all the facts, I prefer not to pass judgment on Randy. If he and/or his family felt he was unable to perform and do the band and himself justice, I have to respect that choice until and unless I have more information no matter how disappointed I am personally.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    Well, as a fan, was I disappointed that Randy didn't join the Eagles on the HOTE tour? Absolutely! I had especially high hopes that he would make an appearance at the L.A. Forum shows in January '14, but it was not to be.

As we've said, we can speculate all we want, but the truth is we don't know all the reasons for this decision. But, as always, with the absence of all the facts, I prefer not to pass judgment on Randy. If he and/or his family felt he was unable to perform and do the band and himself justice, I have to respect that choice until and unless I have more information no matter how disappointed I am personally.
    Well, said, Dreamer. There are a lot of facts out there that we do not have, and I think it unfair to think less of someone when we don't know the all the reasons that went into a decision.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Randy hasn't played with the World Class Rockers for a number of years. It's possible that it was due to health issues, but as mentioned, we certainly don't know all the facts.

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

I was going to say, when was the last time Randy performed in public, professionally, in any capacity? Apparently his daughter says he has dementia.

let's say Randy was able to join in the HOTE tour...How do you think they would have incorporated him into the show?...

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Soda spoke directly to Randy's wife, Lana, a couple of years ago, and she absolutely denied that Randy has dementia or Alzheimer's. Here is a thread that discusses the situation ...

https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/...ead.php?t=3756

Unfortunately, there is a lot of bad blood in Randy's family that is all over the internet, which makes it very hard to sort fact from fiction. In any event, all the personal drama doesn't really have any place on a fan site such as this.

So now, to zelda's question, my feeling is that if Randy had joined the HOTE tour it would have been structured the same way. They may have brought Bernie and Randy out together and had Bernie sing TLHTM, have them stay on stage for the first half like now, and then have Randy close out the first half with TITTL. Then, of course, they would both come back for the encore just like Bernie does now.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border

I was thinking along the same lines for incorporating Randy in the show. He could add his harmonies. I'm not sure about a second bass, so perhaps he could have played rhythm guitar on some songs. It would have been quite a sight to have the show opening with the original four singing the only song they all wrote together.

Somehow, I doubt Randy was making a point by turning down the invitation. He got scared performing to huge crowds in the 1970s and after some years of retirement, it would have been even more daunting.

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    I was thinking along the same lines for incorporating Randy in the show. He could add his harmonies. I'm not sure about a second bass, so perhaps he could have played rhythm guitar on some songs. It would have been quite a sight to have the show opening with the original four singing the only song they all wrote together.

Somehow, I doubt Randy was making a point by turning down the invitation. He got scared performing to huge crowds in the 1970s and after some years of retirement, it would have been even more daunting.
    I was wondering too about having both guys out there playing bass...would that work?...and I was thinking the same thing about Randy...hearing about how nervous he got singing back in his prime...and now that he isn't well...don't think it is realistic to think he would have been able to be on this long grueling tour...

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MaryCalifornia View Post
    I was going to say, when was the last time Randy performed in public, professionally, in any capacity? Apparently his daughter says he has dementia.
    April 2008 looks to be the last time he performed. He started to cut back on his performing schedule [and this was public, so I'm not crossing any privacy boundaries] in 2004 after suffering severe chest pains and being hospitalized.

It's terrible to think that such a sweet man has been through so much.

Border Troubadour

Quote Originally Posted by zeldabjr View Post
    I was wondering too about having both guys out there playing bass...would that work?...and I was thinking the same thing about Randy...hearing about how nervous he got singing back in his prime...and now that he isn't well...don't think it is realistic to think he would have been able to be on this long grueling tour...
    Indeed, I can't imagine him doing the walk-on to rapturous applause that Bernie, TBS and Joe do: this is a man who I believe refused to have a spotlight on him onstage back in the 1970s!

I can't recall ever seeing a band with two bassists, so I suppose at worst he could just do some Henley-like rhythm guitar. I also take your point about touring, and extend that to his vocal ability these days: on songs like BOML the harmony needs to be absolutely spot-on, which I can imagine would be hard if you'd both been off the big stage for a long time and haven't had the best of health to aid your voice.