Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Randy's last show with the Eagles?

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Default Re: Randy's last show with the Eagles?

I, too, wish Randy would have been able to be included on the HOTE tour, but it doesn't sound to me like he was able. And even though it would have been awesome to have him sing TITTL, I bet he wouldn't have. That was one of the reasons he quit and I can't imagine him even trying to do it now.

He could have added some harmonies and strummed along though in the first part.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Randy did Take It To the Limit in his solo shows, some tv appearances with Richard Marx and the reunited Poco. He also seemed to be OK about performing the song on the '76 tour. Maybe whatever problems that developed on the '77 tour were unique to that time or situation, dunno.

I know HOTE presents a different version of events, but Randy has said at various times that he left the Eagles because he wanted to sing more, not less. If you look at the few videos from his solo career, he certainly projects a more confident and playful persona.

It's a mystery that I'm afraid we may never get an answer to. It seems the last time Randy communicated publicly was his comments for HOTE, filmed sometime in 2012.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by zeldabjr View Post
    let's say Randy was able to join in the HOTE tour...How do you think they would have incorporated him into the show?...
    Would they still start with Saturday Night?
    Don, Glenn, Bernie and Randy co-wrote it together and Randy sings a couple of lines in the original version.

I don't know how else they could begin.
    Maybe Joe could do an acoustic, solo James Gang number from the 60s then introduce Bernie for a duet, Tim and Randy for a Poco tune. Glenn and Don come out last and launch into Take It Easy etc.

I think Tim's the better bass player but Randy's would be the authentic choice. Either way they're both capable of playing a regular guitar.

The single HOTE show with the extra encore seemed to be set for a Meisner appearance.
    Seven Bridges Road, How Long, Hotel California, Take It Easy, Rocky Mountain Way and Desperado are all tracks Randy originally played with The Eagles.
    All four original Eagles shared the lead vocals on the original (Eagles) version of How Long.

If Randy was capable of fronting a song, you'd have to add Take It To The Limit, in some form, to that encore. He may not like singing it but it's his trademark song. He's probably had to sing it at every show he's done since leaving the Eagles.

If he's capable of matching Bernie's stage time I'd want to hear Try And Love Again too. It'd fit nicely into the second set, early on.

Certainly not Midnight Flyer. Certain Kind Of Fool, maybe.
    I don't think Take The Devil, Trying, Is It True? and Too Many Hands are strong enough, unless they're killers live.

With the World Classic Rockers, Randy would open the set with some Eagles numbers and then leave the stage. I don't know what sized venues they played but I doubt it'd be anywhere near the scale and luxury he'd be guaranteed on an Eagles tour.

Maybe they should tell Felder he can join the Eagles on stage for some Hotel California 40th anniversary shows, next year, if he can get Randy to come along too.

Out on the Border

I would LOVE to hear Certain Kind of Fool and Try and Love Again live and to see RM up on stage. But sad to say, as much as I absolutely adore RM, I don't think he could take the stage and sing. If you listen to his speaking voice in HOTE, you can hear how diminished it is. Weather from age, health, smoking or a combination of all three, I think it would be hard for him.
    And honestly, I don't think I'd buy a ticket unless they invited Felder back. That's for another thread, though!
    LOVE RM and wish him health and happiness.

Out on the Border

To assume that Randy was unwilling to tour is being disrespectful to him. It has been all over the internet, especially YOUTUBE, that Randy has a medical condition that prevents him from performing. As many already know, Randy was a very private person and a lot of what has been said about him I am sure he would not want out in public. His family is trying to make a case like “Casey Kasem”, but there are other people who feel that this is not true. His family insists that he has dementia and is childlike. Unfortunately we don’t know the real truth. If Randy were able to be up on that stage with the other Eagles he would be and really enjoying himself. Randy seemed to really loosen up when he went solo and with the other groups he performed with after he left the Eagles. No matter what, Randy is a true musical talent and his songs stir my heart every time I hear them. But assuming that he is doing it on purpose to disappoint his fans and the Eagles is absurd.

Banned

I refer back to Henley's statement Buttercup:

"Bernie Leadon is definitely on this tour, Randy Meisner, if he were healthy and willing, might have been included, too, but his current health will not permit. We are all wishing him well."
    I think Henley's questioning Randy's willingness there.
    There is so much crap on the internet about Randy's health that I don't believe any of it.
    People close to Randy have stated what's not wrong with him but don't go on to say what is preventing him from performing.

After finding post Eagles success a struggle, I totally understand why Randy (semi)retired from the business some years ago. Hard graft with scant reward is demoralising. If Randy said he wasn't getting involved in the HOTE tour because he's retired I'd be fine with that but he hasn't said I thing.

I'm sure Randy hasn't intentionally set out to disappoint his fans and the Eagles but he doesn't appear to be doing much to avoid it.

Randy has received almost universal good will from Eagles fans over the years, despite walking out on the band, while Glenn and Don have taken tonnes of flack. This was a chance for Randy to repay those fans. Even if it was just adding a voice to an encore. If his health does not permit it, why doesn't he tell us?

Stuck on the Border

He is entitled to his privacy. He is not obligated to 'tell us' anything.

You seem to have deliberately over-emphasised the word 'willing' rather than the word 'healthy' to boost your case.

Out on the Border

Totally agree Freypower. It is nobody's business but his why he is not on tour.

True, Randy is not obligated to disclose the details of his health. I think his choking incident was rather severe and that he may have had lingering problems. I think if he had been healthy, Randy would have wanted to join the Eagles onstage. Sadly and ironically, he wanted to join them in the 1994 HFO tour but they were not inviting former members. Now, he has been invited but cannot do the tour.

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Funk, you know I like you very much but I must gently disagree with your assumption that Randy can communicate for himself. Sadly, we cannot assume that, as he hasn't spoken publicly for at least 2 1/2 years. Maybe he's not able to. I fervently hope he's alright but we just don't know.