Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Don's vocal mannerism

Border Troubadour

Default Re: Don's vocal mannerism

Yep, having just listened to Don's 'rap' version of LITFL, it's definitely 'heavenly bills'...
    ...Well it sure makes you wonder the things that some people will say. They can see black and white but they don't seem to notice the grey...

Quote Originally Posted by DivineDon View Post
    Yep, having just listened to Don's 'rap' version of LITFL, it's definitely 'heavenly bills'...
    I just listened to the rap version (my ears are still burning!! ) and the normal version but IMO its definitely 'Heavenly bills'....

I noticed Don licking his lips when he's doing interviews etc - think he does that when he's nervous which shows he's normal and its so cute !!

What I did notice and absolutely love is the way he pronounces words beginning with W in songs - it really shows his Texan accent and to me its what makes him stand out when he's singing. I can't think of examples off-hand, I just notice it when I'm listening to the songs.

Oh and every time he sings 'Baby' in a song
    "The more I know, the less I understand...."

Don't crack up, bend your brain, see both sides, throw off your mental chains"

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    Re: heavenly bills vs. heavily bills in Life In the Fast Lane, there are discrepancies all over the internet about which is correct, including much debate on this board over the years. I could be wrong, but, to the best of my knowledge, there hasn't been any credible source to confirm which is correct. Personally, I have never heard it as anything other than 'heavenly' and, to me, heavily doesn't even make any sense. So, at this point, no one will ever convince me that it is 'heavily' until a very reliable, credible source confirms otherwise.

And BTW chaim, I had never paid attention to the 'up' and 'down' mannerisms in Don's voice. You make a very interesting observation and I' need to start taking more notice of it.
    The sheet music book which was published after the album's release confirms it as 'heavily'. Dreamer, I know you said before that even that didn't convince you, but it's enough for me, I'm afraid, plus I've only ever heard 'heavily', annoying as it is that the word makes no sense.

In my view it's the official version of the song which counts. In any case, the rap version isn't on YouTube so I can't check it.

Here is the thread where we discussed this. We seemed to be evenly (evilly? see what I did there?) split. I won't change my position which is that the 1977 sheet music book has 'heavily' which overrides the later songbook.
    https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/foru...read.php?t=992
    Last edited by Freypower; 01-30-2015 at 07:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    I always criticize people for trusting internet sources too much - on lyrics and chords. Now I just copied the lyrics without checking them myself! Well, I probably wouldn't have noticed anyway...
    Yeah, it's probably common to do it like that, but for some reason it really catches my ear when Don does it. I don't know why. Sometimes it makes one song sound a bit like another to me.
    As others have said, there's controversy over what that lyric is, even amongst official sources with songbooks and sheet music contradicting each other. No one knows definitely - well, we know what we THINK, but not if what we think is right. lol To say one official source "overrides" the other is convenient if you agree with the one you give priority to, but not necessarily accurate because BOTH are sanctioned by the band.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    As others have said, there's controversy over what that lyric is, even amongst official sources with songbooks and sheet music contradicting each other. No one knows definitely - well, we know what we THINK, but not if what we think is right. lol To say one official source "overrides" the other is convenient if you agree with the one you give priority to, but not necessarily accurate because BOTH are sanctioned by the band.
    It did occur to me that maybe the later songbook, which I haven't seen, was supposed to correct the alleged error in the first book. In that case I would like to know why the error was made in the first place.
    Last edited by Freypower; 01-30-2015 at 11:20 PM.

Stuck on the Border

I guess sometimes when songbooks appear almost immediately after the record, they could have gotten the correct lyrics from the band/artist. But I've seen so many horrible errors in songbooks that I'm skeptical about it.
    It's great that people on this forum are aware that songbooks and internet lyrics aren't necessarily more reliable than your own ears if the original record didn't contain the lyrics. It's so frustrating when you ask about a KISS lyric on the KISSFAQ forum, and someone posts the lyric from one of these lyric sites, like Metrolyrics, and says "here you go!"

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    It did occur to me that maybe the later songbook, which I haven't seen, was supposed to correct the alleged error in the first book. In that case I would like to know why the error was made in the first place.
    Maybe Glenn and/or Don had better things to do than do a detailed check of the entire text of a songbook. Are songwriters required to copyright all the text of a song in written form?

From memory, the lyrics of Stevie Nick's, Rock A little track are vastly different on the album sleeve and the actual record, I felt I'd been robbed of half a song!

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    Maybe Glenn and/or Don had better things to do than do a detailed check of the entire text of a songbook. Are songwriters required to copyright all the text of a song in written form?

From memory, the lyrics of Stevie Nick's, Rock A little track are vastly different on the album sleeve and the actual record, I felt I'd been robbed of half a song!
    I'm afraid they had better things to do. In my experience artists don't "give a darn" about whether their lyrics are correct or not in all these sources. For example, when Gene Simmons had the "KISS discography" section in his official homepage, whoever maintained his site had just copied the lyrics from the internet. KISS albums didn't have lyric sheets until 1982, although some pressings of The Elder from '81 may have had. So the usual errors from 1974 to at least 1980 were there. I once wrote to Gene about this - whether he could check the lyrics at least to his own solo album. He never replied (although he replied to some of my e-mails) and they were never corrected.
    This is not the only case where I've seen lyrics copied from the internet on an official site of an artist.

On the other hand, Keith Reid has co-operated with an (as far as I know) unofficial Procol Harum website on lyrics, but that must be rare. Years ago when I pointed out some usual errors on a YES website they insisted to me that Jon Anderson has checked the lyrics. I don't think he had gone trhough every line, since there were some obvious errors.

It's one of those things where I didn't notice until pointed out to me, but now that I know about it, I hear it all the time!

Thumbs up Re: Don's vocal mannerism

I believe the use of "heavenly bills" was Don's way of stating how high
    The bill is for a doctor to make a "house call".
    "I'm gonna love you, like nobody's loved you, Come Rain or Come Shine"