View Poll Results: Which was the first Eagles album you heard?

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • Eagles (self-titled)

12 25.00%
  • Desperado

1 2.08%
  • On The Border

1 2.08%
  • One Of These Nights

0 0%
  • Hotel California

11 22.92%
  • The Long Run

1 2.08%
  • Long Road Out Of Eden

0 0%
  • A live album (Eagles Live or Hell Freezes Over)

4 8.33%
  • Greatest Hits 1971-75 (Vol 1)

13 27.08%
  • Other compilation album

5 10.42%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which was your first Eagles album?

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

Default Re: Which was your first Eagles album?

They weren't really mine but my parents, but it was both greatest hits albums on CD and "Hotel California" on cassette. They also had Don's first two solo albums on vinyl, cassette, and CD; Glenn's first album on cassette, a few of Joe's solo albums on cassette and CD, a 45 of Felder's single "Heavy Metal", as well as the "Fast Times at Ridgemont High" soundtrack on cassette.
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

The first album I ever bought- and I loved, loved, loved it!- was Eagles Greatest Hits 1. I was still in school and I bought it with my allowance money. I guess I had saved up. Lol...

I used to play it almost every night as I was falling to sleep. My little turntable would raise the needle and replace the arm onto the little stand, effectively turning itself off after completing Side One. I knew I wasn't going to be awake much longer if I made it to Desperado.

It's all in your smile that brings
    All of the special things about you

First album I bought was Greatest Hits, they were always on the radio so I had some cassettes I had recorded from the radio, so was always playing Eagles and listening.

Second one I bought and wore out was the Hell Freezes over cassette, my car kept eating it. Finally got a new car with a cd player, so Hell was my first CD.

Next was Hotel California.

I have since gotten all of them, on CD and vinyl. Some I have multiple copies because friends find them for me, those go in the car. Have an MP3 player that is all Eagles/Solo work.

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

I think I already voted, but I'll chime in with my dad bought Their Greatest Hits, Fleetwood Mac Rumours and Linda Ronstadt when they came out - I was 8 or 9. So Their Greatest Hits was my first!!! I loved it! Reminds me of my dad!

Hotel California. And it's still my favorite.

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Very best of (2003). My mom bought it for me when I was 13 or 14 (around 2009). I mostly played disc 1 because I thought the hits were all on it,apart apart from LITFL, Heartache Tonight, and SBR. I didn't give any "non-hit" a listen until last year. I still have the album, though it has seen its better days.

The first studio album I heard was Desperado, which was around 2013.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Border Rebel

I'm an oldie, too. My first album was Greatest Hits I back in the 70's, and I think I've had a copy of it on vinyl, cassette and possibly 8-track, as well as many copies on CD (as soon as it gets scratchy, I replace it). I think I had the 45 of Best of My Love before that. I would play it over and over back then, although it's not really a favorite these days. Hotel California came out shortly after, so I think I've always owned a copy of that since high school, too. It wasn't until much later that I went back and bought the other albums and The Long Run.

Great question, JCL!

Ha!! Agree this is a great question (and smiled at all the "oldies" references....I are one too).

Eagles was my first. In my personal introductory comments from a couple months ago, I explained how I felt like I'd "introduced" the Eagles to Armed Forces Radio listeners back in '72 (a visit home on leave had the album in my hands before it hit AFR playlists).

Desperado was second and I laughed out loud, during the doc, when the record guy says "they made a f***in' cowboy record." I said practically the same thing at the time. AT THE TIME, I only found redemption in Tequila Sunrise and Desperado (they're doing a Linda Rondstadt song?) and I sorta liked Saturday Night...my tastes improved vastly over time as I love the whole thing now.

Next was On the Border....assessment similar to Desperado as (at the time) I only "liked" BOML and Already Gone. Next was OOTNs and oh man, I was stationed in Enid OK at the time, and I turned out that city with the 8-track (obviously MaryC remembers those) and driving around with my windows down. I wore that 8-track out. Now I had only 3-4 favorites, but I "put up" with the rest to hear the faves.

Out of the service, with two little ones now, I skipped Hotel CA album (I know, can you believe it?) but jumped back in with LR, both Best Of's and much later LROOE. In between I got HFO and Farewell 1 DVDs as soon as available (later got HFO and LROOE via iTunes).

Sorry to ramble, but thought this was a fun post.
    Last edited by NoNottheFootballTeam; 09-13-2016 at 04:13 PM.

On my leatherette looking through pictures...

"Greatest Hits: 1971-1975." My father owned that album on 8-track with Fleetwood Mac's "Rumours" and Lynyrd Skynyrds "Street Survivors"(with the original flame cover) way back when he was a kid, and he particularly drove the Eagles and Fleetwood Mac CD's into the ground with me when I was little.

As for studio albums, the first one I ever bought with my own money was "Desperado." First one I ever made a point of listening to from cover to cover was "On the Border" in February, 2012, and that is when I became a true Eagles fan(though I knew I liked them well enough the first time I heard "New Kid in Town").
    All carrot, no stick.

"He's just another power junkie, just another silk scarf monkey. You'd know it if you saw his stuff. The man just isn't big enough."--Glenn Frey/Don Henley

"You think you know me, but you haven't got a clue."--John Lennon/Paul McCartney

Border Desperado

I also bought "Greatest Hits: 1971-1974" with my allowance money. I'm not sure how much I paid, but I have the price of $3.99 stuck in my head. Back in the day, it was a lot of money for me!